Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
  Hastings Street/PNE Nest, Vancouver - 2015 - 2017
 |  Printable Version
By: Mishka (offline) on Wednesday, February 25 2015 @ 02:33 PM EST  
Mishka

Hi! I signed up for this forum for the sole reason of coming here to say THANK YOU! I have worked at the PNE since 2009 and my window overlooks the area around the pond. I have been watching these eagles fly back and forth (often being chased by screaming seagulls and crows, which is how I know to look up from my computer and look out the window), with much of the activity happening in January and February.

The other day, as I waited for the bus, I looked up to see how the nest was coming along and it wasn't where it'd been for years! Then I realised that I hadn't seen the eagles flying around lately. I was worried that something had happened to the nest and they weren't coming back. I found this forum a couple of years ago and yesterday decided to check in to see if you lovely people knew anything - and then I saw the posts about the wind storm and the relocation of the nest! I'm so happy they are still around, and feel so sad for the youngest eaglet who didn't survive the fall from the old nest, but happy the other two are rehabilitated.

I am not sure why I haven't seen the adults flying by my window, but I suppose the location of the new nest may cause them to fly a different path. It's too bad - seeing them was really the highlight of my work day Smile

Thank you!

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Thursday, February 26 2015 @ 12:23 PM EST  
stim

Mishka, welcome to the forum and thank you for such a positive summary. I'm sure you realize how lucky you are to be working in eagle territory. I'm sure our ground observers will appreciate your input. They are so good updating the rest of us who don't live nearby. Glad you found the new nest!

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: gemini (offline) on Friday, February 27 2015 @ 03:17 AM EST  
gemini

wave Hello and Welcome Mishka!

The Hastings nest has been on my "eagle watch" since 2009. Last year was a very traumatic year for we observers and our local eagles with the loss of the Hastings/PNE nest and the Lafarge nest located not far from Hastings and Renfrew on Wall street near Dundas. Fortunately,the Lafarge pair have returned (we think!) to their original nest on Pandora Street and the Hastings pair have simply moved across the street so both are still on my "eagle watch"!

The Hastings pair haven't been around the last few times I went looking for them so I haven't posted any recent photos. Now that egg time is getting closer, I am hoping to catch them at home again. As you have read up on what has happened you are aware there are several excellent photographers taking photos of this pair regularly so stay tuned for more action as the season begins!

Annemie and Stan, thanks for the update, I am happy to hear they are still around. I haven't had much luck at catching them. Maybe next time!

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Steamer (offline) on Friday, February 27 2015 @ 05:49 PM EST  
Steamer

Welcome Mishka wave

Annemie and I have found lately that they appear at the new nest location pretty much like clockwork just around or after sunset. Depending when you get off work at the PNE this appears your best bet to spot them Nodding yes

Hi Gemini! Smile

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Annemie (offline) on Monday, March 02 2015 @ 02:06 AM EST  
Annemie

Welcome to the forum Mishca ,it is so nice having you.
I don't know where you live exactly, but I know that the Hastings eagles fly from the nest over the PNE ground to the north, where the ocean is and consequently fly back to the nest the same way.
Like Stan wrote, Gemini, the eagles fly to their nest at sundown.
Mishka, that will change once they lay their eggs.
Then they will be around the nest all day.(at least one of them)
I hope, I will meet you there one day Mishka.

Stan and I went to the Hastings nest today at dusk.
We saw one eagle greeting us.
(click on pictures to make them bigger)

Click on image to download

Then we realized,that the other eagle was sitting in the nest, because it popped its head out and then sat on the edge of the nest.

After we made our pictures and started to go home, I made one of my eaglet scream that I learned last year from the Hastings eaglets.
The eagles know me doing it from last year.
So the eagle that was standing on the nest flew out of the tree and checked us out and then flew back into the nest tree.
That was cool.

Good night Mishka, Gemini and Stim and all lovers of these eagles.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Monday, March 02 2015 @ 01:12 PM EST  
stim

Hahaha Annemie. I love that you are able to call to your Hastings couple. I'm glad you got a response. Left thumb up

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Annemie (offline) on Wednesday, March 04 2015 @ 11:43 PM EST  
Annemie

wave

Hastings mom sitting in the nest at 5:10 pm today.
There might be an egg, since mom seldom comes this early and does not just sit in the nest,
Usually they come in at dusk and sit on the branches, or they come early and actively working on the nest.

Click on picture for enlargement.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Thursday, March 05 2015 @ 02:04 PM EST  
stim

Now that looks promising Annemie! Clapping

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 06:03 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate