Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
  Hastings Street/PNE Nest, Vancouver - 2015 - 2017
 |  Printable Version
By: Steamer (offline) on Monday, July 10 2017 @ 04:34 PM EDT  
Steamer

Announcement Just got off the phone given some shocking information to close the question on the cause of death.....

OWL did an inspection and concluded, without a doubt with their years of experience, that the eaglet showed direct signs of being attacked and killed by a bird....they suspect a owl attack sometime in the middle of the night to early morning. Damage to the head concluded it was not hit by a car and such and the head injures they observed could only have been done by another bird.

Another learning curve for me about the workings of nature at its best and worst Oh My

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Annemie (offline) on Monday, July 10 2017 @ 08:00 PM EDT  
Annemie

Red Heart Rest in peace little eaglet Red Heart

Click on image to download

Cry

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: sctth4 (offline) on Tuesday, July 11 2017 @ 02:11 AM EDT  
sctth4

A chick was making alot of noise today, couldn't see it or the nest but it's lungs are definitely in great shape.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: gemini (offline) on Tuesday, July 11 2017 @ 06:06 AM EDT  
gemini

Thanks Annemie, for the wonderful photo of the little eaglet - may he/she fly free with his brothers and sisters in eagle heaven!

A special thanks to Stan and Annemie for their documenting of this nest with their many wonderful photos and observations and to Scott for his daily treks to the nest to make sure all was in order and for alerting us to the nest having fallen. And although it wasn't quite the ending we had all hoped for for this nest this year, thanks to the ground observers at this nest we at least know there was one successful fledgling which is a far better outcome than the last few years!

Mom and Dad Hastings were so close to having the perfect season this year. Fingers crossed for next year!

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Tuesday, July 11 2017 @ 01:55 PM EDT  
stim

Yes, thank you once again to our ground observers with sharing information as gathered by you. This is a very sad outcome for an eaglet who could have survived the fall. I have to wonder where the parents were as there must have been much calling from the eaglet. Cry
Annemie thank you for the sweet picture.
I hope Ma and Pa are around to feed the newly fledged youngster.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Steamer (offline) on Tuesday, July 11 2017 @ 03:25 PM EDT  
Steamer

Some good news to report Smile

One of the folks on regular eagle watch just called to let me know that the surviving fledging was just seen in the cottonwoods across the street with one of the adults.

Apparently last night it was high in the fallen nest tree for the evening. When I went there today it was nowhere to be seen in the tree but low and behold as soon as I walk back in the door the phone rings to give me the goods news it was across the street during my visit ...thanks Vicky Bravo

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Tuesday, July 11 2017 @ 05:18 PM EDT  
karenbills

So happy to hear this wonderful news that there is one surviving fledgling this year. Thanks Stan, Annemie and Scott for the reports.

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: Steamer (offline) on Wednesday, July 12 2017 @ 02:46 PM EDT  
Steamer

Happy to report the juvie that survived and fledged was happily preening in one of the cottonwoods across the street this morning Cool.

Thanks to one of the resident crows for showing me its hidden location near the trunk of the tree perched on a big branch Nodding yes

Looking real good! Very Happy

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 05:55 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate