The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
  Hastings Street/PNE Nest, Vancouver - 2015 - 2017
 |  Printable Version
By: sctth4 (offline) on Friday, July 07 2017 @ 07:31 PM EDT  
sctth4

I've been walking over around 1pm everyday, they put on a good show yesterday. Looked under nest, saw nothing. No mourning from ma & pa, the chicks have been so vocal but today nothing.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Friday, July 07 2017 @ 07:46 PM EDT  
stim

If the nest was still there I would assume they had fledged. But with the nest gone, that is very worrisome.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Saturday, July 08 2017 @ 12:36 AM EDT  
karenbills

Oh no......nest and eagles gone?!?! How can this be? We knew it wasn't the sturdiest of nests being the first year for it. Ma and Pa Hastings have had such bad luck these last few years but how can there just be nothing there even below the tree!!

Has anyone called OWL to see if the eaglets were brought in from that nest? Ma and Pa would have flown away but the chicks were almost fledging age, right? So they should have been branching at least, which means they would have floated down to the ground if not able to fly. So where are they?

This is most distressing.

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: Annemie (offline) on Monday, July 10 2017 @ 12:52 PM EDT  
Annemie

wave Hi everyone

On July 8th, I witnessed one of our lovely Hastings eaglets flying over Hastings Park towards the nest tree. It was coming from the north and flying strong and low.
Judging by it's size, I am pretty sure that it was a beautiful little male. Needles to say I was very very happy to see it. Clapping

On July 9th I got a phone call from Diana and she told me that the younger eaglet was still in the nest tree.
As soon as Stan and I were able we went to the nest tree to investigate.
The eaglet was indeed in the tree.
Since the eaglet was in danger of getting tired standing on a branch instead of being able to rest in a nest,
Diana and Mike had stood guard at the nest till we came and took over.

It looked so beautiful.

The parents came to see their baby several times.
They had cleverly stashed a dead cat in the tree. Dear cat
It was grey and had a white bib and a very bushy grey tail.
A bit further up the tree the Hastings eagle hat stashed a dead bird in the tree as well but I could not tell what it was.

After Stan and I came back from dinner, the cat was gone and I believe the eaglet seemed to have been fed.
I was sitting at a higher point in the tree and when a parent showed up, it did not even scream like it did before.
It was sitting in the sun with it's eyes closed looking so beautiful. Red Heart

One of the parents showed up with a stick and placed it in the tree.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Steamer (offline) on Monday, July 10 2017 @ 12:59 PM EDT  
Steamer

The 2nd eaglet that didn't fledge when the nest came down appears to have died sometime in the middle of the night or early in the morning folks. I discovered the body placed near the base of the nest tree at 8 AM Cry

Right away it was apparent that the bird had died of massive head injures. Myself, Angela from OWL and the grounds supervisor from the PNE all had a good look and concluded that it looks like the bird tried to soft land on Hastings Street and got hit by a car or hit the front hood or windshield....quick death.

Thanks to the help provided by the PNE grounds staff and supervisor and a big thanks to Angela at OWL for arriving at just the right time this morning after getting the heads up call from Annemie and I last night on the situation with the 2nd eaglet in the nest tree Thank You Also a big thanks to Diana and her husband Mike for the heads up call and keeping the watch till we showed up yesterday hug

Annemie will post the last images of it taken yesterday evening to share with forum members.......

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Monday, July 10 2017 @ 01:16 PM EDT  
karenbills

Oh that is so tragic, Stan, but thanks for letting us know.

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: stim (offline) on Monday, July 10 2017 @ 01:20 PM EDT  
stim

Yes Stan,very sad news but better knowing than wondering if the eaglet is out there hungry and injured. I find myself hoping that this couple does not build a nest again next year. Cry

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Steamer (offline) on Monday, July 10 2017 @ 03:30 PM EDT  
Steamer

One thing I forgot to mention........

When I arrived this morning the crows were bombing something on the east side of the nest tree half way down. At first I thought to myself "well that has to be the eaglet so all is goodSmile". It wasn't till I got closer with the binoculars out that it became clear it was Pa Hastings under crow attack looking intensely straight down well sitting on some fallen remains from the nest.

Something inside took that as a cue to stop looking up and start looking down on the ground right away. Didn't take long looking back from the sidewalk to find what I hoped I wouldn't find right in front of the trunk of the nest tree NO

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 11:11 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate