Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
  Hastings Street/PNE Nest, Vancouver - 2015 - 2017
 |  Printable Version
By: Heather (offline) on Monday, April 17 2017 @ 01:51 PM EDT  
Heather

Hello Everyone!
On Friday, we made our first stop by this nest of the season. Because we were in a bit of a hurry, I didn't hold my breath that we would see much. When we got out of the truck, and set the cameras up, we found Ma was in the nest.

Click on image to download

I watched her spring up, when I saw Pa fly over head, as if to say 'Hi guys'.

He made a quick circle over our heads before, in answer to Ma's calls, returning to the nest to take his turn looking after the egg(s), while she goes for lunch. And she did. She was gone before we knew it.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that these two have a successful season this year! I wish them all the luck in the world.

aka shrub

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Heather (offline) on Monday, April 17 2017 @ 02:08 PM EDT  
Heather

Yesterday we made a quick stop by this nest, followed shortly by Larry. One of the adults, I think it was Ma, was in the nest sitting up and looking around.
The Pa was very well hidden amongst the branches of the tree next to the nest tree.

We were there for a very short time, when Ma flew off of the nest.

Pa didn't waist any time taking over.

I hope our next visit we have time to stay a little longer. Until then...
Cheers Everyone and Happy Easter!

aka shrub

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Monday, April 17 2017 @ 02:49 PM EDT  
stim

Thank you for sharing your nest visits with us Heather! Amazing that you timed both just right to see the COTG! The Hastings must be as glad to see you both back as you are to see them in action! WooHoo

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Steamer (offline) on Sunday, April 23 2017 @ 04:55 PM EDT  
Steamer

Nice to hear of some reports and pictures from our fellow observers Left thumb up

As of today I spotted one in the nest sitting down and preening....who knows what lies underneath fingers crossed

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Heather (offline) on Wednesday, April 26 2017 @ 03:05 PM EDT  
Heather

Hello Everyone,

I happen to be looking through some of the recent eagle pictures I have taken, and when I was going over the ones from this nest that I took the Sunday before last, something caught my eye. The following are two pictures that were taken in sequence. The first one of the adult that was in the nest when we arrived, standing up to get ready to leave the nest before a swap.
This second picture is of the same adult, but, and I don't want to get too excited, but is it just me or is there a little ball of fluff on the lower left of this eagle?! It would be on the eagle's right wing side. Could there have been a hatch???!!! Chin Roll eyes
I've cropped both pictures to show the details. Please, if anyone can confirm what I am seeing so I know my eyes are not playing tricks on me.
These pictures were taken on Sunday, April 16th.

aka shrub

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Wednesday, April 26 2017 @ 04:14 PM EDT  
stim

Heather, could the other eagle be brooding down low in the nest? The whiteness you notice looks to me more like an adult head. It looks to be too big for a new eaglet head. If it's not that of the other adult then our thoughts will have to consider a youngster, but I don't think so. Sorry! I'm going out now, will look forward to your reply and other thoughts from HWF members!

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Heather (offline) on Wednesday, April 26 2017 @ 06:30 PM EDT  
Heather

Hello Sandra,
I thought the same, but the other adult was in the next tree over waiting to go to the nest. Something else that happened that day. Usually when this pair does a swap, the eagle that is to take over the nest usually will follow the eagle that is leaving the nest for a very short stint before actually going to the nest. On this day the adult in the tree next to the nest tree immediately went to the nest when the first adult left. If I don't make it to the nest tonight, I most definitely will be going there tomorrow to check again, and hopefully confirm.
Hugs for now
Heather

aka shrub

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Thursday, April 27 2017 @ 01:19 PM EDT  
stim

Well then Heather, perhaps it is an eaglet, somewhat older and larger than a newly hatched. Incredible lens you have there! Left thumb up

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:58 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate