Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
  Hastings Street/PNE Nest, Vancouver - 2015 - 2017
 |  Printable Version
By: Annemie (offline) on Tuesday, April 04 2017 @ 10:43 PM EDT  
Annemie

Quote by: karenbills

Thanks for the great report, Annemie. I told David Hancock exactly in which tree the new nest is located. He marked it on Google Earth along with all the other nests we monitor.

You are Welcome Karen.

I surly like to see the map David is creating. I hope you will post it. Byebye

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Wednesday, April 05 2017 @ 12:32 PM EDT  
stim

What wonderful pictures and reassurances about this nest, tree and couple. hug

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Thursday, April 06 2017 @ 12:46 PM EDT  
karenbills

There's no way to post it, Annemie. It's Google Earth which he knows how to use. I don't understand it at all. When David is done making adjustments to it then it is saved on his computer. There's no way that I know of to put that on our website. Anytime you are with us you can look at our eagle map book, which we often have with us.

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: Steamer (offline) on Friday, April 07 2017 @ 09:57 PM EDT  
Steamer

Just came back from a walk to report that the new nest seems to be doing well during its first real test with the current wind event hitting the south coast.

Couldn't spot anyone in the nest due to very poor viewing conditions. I found only a few small branches on the ground near the nest tree which is good news Left thumb up

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: gemini (offline) on Saturday, April 08 2017 @ 07:37 PM EDT  
gemini

Wonderful photos, Annemie and thanks for the report on the nest after the storm Stan! Glad to hear it passed its first real test!

Annemie, which parking lot - the one on the PNE grounds or the one where the old nest was?

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Annemie (offline) on Saturday, April 08 2017 @ 08:57 PM EDT  
Annemie

Quote by: gemini

Wonderful photos, Annemie and thanks for the report on the nest after the storm Stan! Glad to hear it passed its first real test!

Annemie, which parking lot - the one on the PNE grounds or the one where the old nest was?

Hello everyone

Whenever I am talking about the parking lot I am talking about the parking lot across the street from the park.
So I am talking about the parking lot where the old original nest was.

The PNE parking lot does not allow a view to the new nest.

Unfortunately the new nest is build on the south side of the tree, so it basically hangs over the walkway of Hastings St.
That is why one can see the tree best across Hastings St.

Also, the old Parking lot is on the highest spot of Hastings St. and that is why that is the very best way to see into the nest.

Next time I go there I will make a pictures showing exactly where the new nest is in regards to everything else.

I made the following picture in 2015 from the old parking lot across the park,

The arrow points east and the new nest would be the 3rd tree to the east from the old nest tree on the PNE grounds.
It is also the last tall fir tree of the row of tall fir trees.

Click on image to download

The reason the nest from 2015 fell down is that the supporting branches were super skinny and the nest super big and heavy.
Fortunately that is not the case with the new 2017 nest. Clapping

Byebye

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Sunday, April 09 2017 @ 12:36 PM EDT  
karenbills

So, Annemie, are you now saying the new nest is not in the second tree to the east but three trees east? As I mentioned above, I had David Hancock mark the second tree east on his Google Earth map.

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: Steamer (offline) on Sunday, April 09 2017 @ 03:46 PM EDT  
Steamer

Quote by: karenbills

So, Annemie, are you now saying the new nest is not in the second tree to the east but three trees east? As I mentioned above, I had David Hancock mark the second tree east on his Google Earth map.

It's 2 LARGE fir trees down to the east Karen. Annemie had it right but you'll see when you're there that there's a few lower and thinner firs in the mix that don't count in my view. If you observe and count ONLY the large high firs it's 2 trees down to the east from the last fallen long gone nest.....hope this helps

Annemie and I are going over today to take some wide field pictures that will make it clear for everyone once and for all.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:27 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate