Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
  Hastings Street/PNE Nest, Vancouver - 2015 - 2017
 |  Printable Version
By: Steamer (offline) on Monday, December 21 2015 @ 04:55 PM EST  
Steamer

Was driving by this morning and the eagles were on the nest tree doing more work on the new nest. From the looks of it more branches have been added.

It would be interesting what David H. and the other long time observers of this Hastings pair like Larry, Sharon, Scott, Heather and Stuart all think about this new nest taking shape based on Annemie's latest pictures or their own ground observations Chin

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Monday, December 21 2015 @ 05:17 PM EST  
karenbills

I'm sure David would think it fine, Stan. We've seen nests built out on branches that show no visible support except for maybe one other branch and they seem to do well. I'm thinking in particular of one in Stanley Park and one down in Birch Bay and a few others. Of course having said that, anything is possible.

Then there's the Sidney eagles who have returned to their former nest in that old dead snag of a tree. What's up with that we wonder. It is not safe for a tree climber so we always have to use a crane over there. Actually the Sidneys left a perfectly good tree (we thought!!) and moved over to the snag and guess which nest fell in a storm - the one in the live Garry Oak tree when the main supporting branch gave way. I guess the eagles knew something we didn't.

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: Steamer (offline) on Monday, December 21 2015 @ 05:33 PM EST  
Steamer

Quote by: karenbills

I'm sure David would think it fine, Stan. We've seen nests built out on branches that show no visible support except for maybe one other branch and they seem to do well. I'm thinking in particular of one in Stanley Park and one down in Birch Bay and a few others. Of course having said that, anything is possible.

Then there's the Sidney eagles who have returned to their former nest in that old dead snag of a tree. What's up with that we wonder. It is not safe for a tree climber so we always have to use a crane over there. Actually the Sidneys left a perfectly good tree (we thought!!) and moved over to the snag and guess which nest fell in a storm - the one in the live Garry Oak tree when the main supporting branch gave way. I guess the eagles knew something we didn't.

Thanks for the input Karen Thank You

Also makes me think of the huge eagle nest in a deciduous tree looking over to the east along the south side of the river I see half way across the Knight Street bridge when I head out to Ladner twice a week. We're not talking a tree with a great deal of support but there it sits PuzzledOh My

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Wednesday, December 23 2015 @ 12:31 AM EST  
karenbills

Not sure what nest that is, Stan. I'm in Vegas for my annual winter 'snowbird' stay at my brother's. Not home until February so I can't check my eagle map to see if we know about that nest. Please remind me after I'm back.

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: Annemie (offline) on Tuesday, December 29 2015 @ 10:16 PM EST  
Annemie

Hi UrbanEagle, Stim, Gemini, Scott, Shrub, MJB, IrishEyes, JudyB, Karen,ConfusionCircle, and all.

The nest is growing.
Our Hastings eagles have been very busy.

Here are 3 pictures from the 25th of Dec.

Click on image to download

The red arrow shows where the old nest was.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Saturday, January 02 2016 @ 08:31 PM EST  
stim

They surely have been busy Annemie. I hope this one holds together! Thank you for the update.
I still haven't taken the time to check our nests here for look of stability but will eventually!

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Annemie (offline) on Sunday, January 03 2016 @ 04:31 AM EST  
Annemie

Hi Stim

You are very welcome. Thanks for visiting this site Stim. It will be interesting to hear from you how stable your eagles build their nests.

I like to wish you Sandra and all our eagle lovers and of course Ma and Pa Hastings a

Happy New Year

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Heather (offline) on Saturday, January 09 2016 @ 02:23 PM EST  
Heather

Happy New Year Everyone!wave

Welcome to the 2016 Eagle Season!

Stan and Annemie, it was great to see you guys again!

We finally got a chance to check out this new nest this pair are working on, and all I have to do is say, 'WOW!' I had a feeling they were going to be back on this side of Hastings when I saw one of the adults perched in the tree next to this nest tree back in October. While I had hoped that they would be back on this side of Hastings, I hoped they would have picked one of the other trees to build a nest in. But, as my husband says, 'It is what it is'. I've checked out the pictures Larry, Annemie and Jason posted, and after seeing them, and seeing for myself, I can see why there is a bit of a concern. At the same time, I think they will still be adding to this nest before they're done, and it might be alright. fingers crossed Smile Here are some of the pictures I took.
I think they still have some building to do. I'm going to stay positive that it will be a strong nest, and we'll get a chance to see some young actually fledge this season! However, there is a bit of a, dare I say, positive aspect to this. If, and lets hope it doesn't happen, but if the nest should come down, it is over a grassy area and not over concrete like the one from last season.
Talons crossed for a great 2016 season for this nest!!
Take care everyone!

aka shrub

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:27 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate