The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
  Hastings Street/PNE Nest, Vancouver - 2015 - 2017
 |  Printable Version
By: Steamer (offline) on Saturday, June 20 2015 @ 02:44 PM EDT  
Steamer

Here's another key point on what transpired worth noting and mentioning folks before the dust settles. To their credit and diligence to do their job the PNE ground staff didn't know any better when they did a "clean as a whistle" ground sweep when the nest came down. When David Hancock and I ran across the street that day to check out the situation there was no trace of the nest remaining on the ground Puzzled. David Hancock also mentioned to Annemie that the adults may have tried to put some material left over on the ground to make a makeshift nest that day or even start rebuilding very soon down the road. At this point there's not even a trace of there even being a nest at this location on the PNE property. Probably wouldn't have helped save the 2nd eaglet that came down later, one never knows, but it certainly killed off all chances of a quick nest rebuild for the Hastings pair in my view at this time.

I think this is another issue related to the recent tragedy that needs to be discussed with the PNE staff in charge down the road for future reference.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Annemie (offline) on Saturday, June 20 2015 @ 10:29 PM EDT  
Annemie

Quote by: Woodlands Bleu

Annemie....I am glad you asked the fire department...at least you know it was not an option.

The eagles are probably off being eagles. Next year, hopefully they will build better. Keep your spirits up!
carolyn

Hi all Hastings eagle lovers. wave

Thank you Woodland Bleu.
I am glad as well that I phoned the fire department. it has taken a load of my shoulder and so did all of you that wrote in.
Thank You

I am learning a lot with all that has happened and still is happening.

I heard a group of crows being very loud and angry.
I looked up into the sky and who did I see?
Ma Hastings. Wub
She flew in from the north, where the Burrard Inlet is and headed straight south towards the old nest.
Unfortunately she was followed by at least 7 crows.
The only good thing I can say about that is that the Hastings eagles are very used to the crows,
unlike the Lafarge eagles, that had a much more quiet time at their old location.
I think that they are a lot more anxious about all the crows that harass them.

I sure hope the Hastings pair will stay at the park and find a better tree away from Hastings St.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Annemie (offline) on Thursday, June 25 2015 @ 02:22 AM EDT  
Annemie

wave Hi all lovers of these eagles.

Stan and I walked around Hastings park almost every evening since the Red Heart eaglets Red Heart died, to look for ma and pa.
Today we saw them.
Ma was sitting at the old nest site, at the parking-lot, but one tree over from the old nest tree.
That was at about 9:10 pm.
Dad flew in at about 9:30 pm and settled in the old nest tree.
I am sure they settled there for the night.
I am so happy we saw them. Red HeartSitting eagleRed HeartSitting eagleRed Heart and that they are sticking around.

Byebye

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Steamer (offline) on Thursday, June 25 2015 @ 11:33 AM EDT  
Steamer

Yes it left me wondering if they are thinking of building in the old Cottonwood trees back across the street where the old nest was located Chin

Annemie and I have wandered around Hastings park and the PNE grounds to look for suitable trees and there's not much of the right variety of trees for building nests on. The high fir trees that line Hastings Street are about the only candidates but considering the recent new nest disaster/tragedy being so close to the road and sidewalk I hope they avoid those altogether for any future nest building attempts.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Jean (offline) on Thursday, June 25 2015 @ 06:53 PM EDT  
Jean

wave Great to know they are still there Stan and Annemie! But I would expect that. This is still their territory and they will defend it until it is time to migrate. I would like to see them farther away from that busy road next year................at least the original parking lot was a tiny bit farther over..............not a lot, but some. I do hope they find a suitable tree close to there and they build the nest to be the strongest, most solid nest ever! They deserve to have a good year next year! Maybe we will see them begin building a nest this year before they leave. They could be scouting out the area now as they know they have to start over again.

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time;............they have the heart..........Elizabeth Andrew

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Steamer (offline) on Thursday, June 25 2015 @ 08:01 PM EDT  
Steamer

Other news from the area......Announcement

I sadly learned last night from Wildlife Rescue that one of our beautiful Canada Goose goslings died from being caught up in some tangled and left behind fishing line at the fishing deck at the Sanctuary pond at Hastings Park. It was Wildlife Rescue itself who came across its remains in the water beside the fishing deckSad They took several disturbing photos at the time which I saw last night which have been saved as public record to let the truth be known on this sad event. Last year it was the juvenile mallards now this Rant:

Trust me folks the PNE would not like this news to be general public knowledge since its such a hot potato for them It Wasn't Me They quickly covered it up and moved on due to several local bird watchers/ nature lovers still in direct opposition to the fishing/fishing deck and the ongoing threats and problems it's presence has for all the non-human residents who call this place home. The water level is very low right now during this rain free hot spell so more and more of this fishing garbage is being exposed to the wildlife NO

Not to forget folks this sad story could easily have been either of the Hastings adult eagles or their eaglets who unfortunately this year never made it to be fledglings to dodge this nonsense well going after the fish stocked in the pond.

Just to think they still call this place a nature sanctuary....ya right Frustration

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Saturday, June 27 2015 @ 08:00 PM EDT  
stim

Such sad news about the gosling Stan. You knew this was an event waiting to happen with the fishing going on there. Big hugs
And how sad about the unavailability of trees for Ma and Pa to choose from. However, farther into their territory there may be some. I wonder if they would consider the artificial nest at Lafarge? Chin

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Steamer (offline) on Saturday, June 27 2015 @ 08:22 PM EDT  
Steamer

Yes it was very unfortunate {and predictable} but at least here the news can get out to the reading public uncensored or spun stim to dodge the simple truth on the matter Nodding yes

The PNE would prefer nobody knew about it period Poof If it wasn't for Wildlife Rescue neither would Annemie and I have known how one gosling suddenly vanished Puzzled....Thank You

To the Hastings eagles.....Sitting eagleSitting eagle

There's a few other tall high firs across the way just behind the Hastings Community Center on the south side of Hastings St. that look like good candidates stim...Annemie and I have been keeping a close watch on those too to see if any nest building activity appears. Nothing yet......

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:24 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate