The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
  Hastings Street/PNE Nest, Vancouver - 2015 - 2017
 |  Printable Version
By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Thursday, June 18 2015 @ 09:07 PM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Annemie....Let me add my thoughts to the good thoughts of the others here. I also think it would have been illegal to interfere unless the eaglet was grounded. That is probably why OWL could do nothing. There are huge restrictions on what we can do with wildlife. I remember this at a Delta nest in the past.

Also, sometimes we forget that we are not in control, just because we are there. There is a plan we do not know, often hard to accept since we want desperately to help, but we truly cannot help in all cases.
You did as I said before, the best you could! Please turn around, take a deep breath, and forgive yourself for whatever you feel you did not do.....then take another deep breath and realize that it was not yours to do.....then say thank you for what you have had, they have had and move on with a smile for the future possibilities. The parents are fine, the future is wide open and you will see it!
hugs to you,
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: Steamer (offline) on Thursday, June 18 2015 @ 09:13 PM EDT  
Steamer

Quote by: Woodlands Bleu

Annemie....Let me add my thoughts to the good thoughts of the others here. I also think it would have been illegal to interfere unless the eaglet was grounded. That is probably why OWL could do nothing. There are huge restrictions on what we can do with wildlife. I remember this at a Delta nest in the past.

Also, sometimes we forget that we are not in control, just because we are there. There is a plan we do not know, often hard to accept since we want desperately to help, but we truly cannot help in all cases.
You did as I said before, the best you could! Please turn around, take a deep breath, and forgive yourself for whatever you feel you did not do.....then take another deep breath and realize that it was not yours to do.....then say thank you for what you have had, they have had and move on with a smile for the future possibilities. The parents are fine, the future is wide open and you will see it!
hugs to you,
carolyn

Amazing Cry....boy did I need to read those wise words too today Carolyn Bravo

Thanks everyone else for with their great words to work through all this hug

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Annemie (offline) on Thursday, June 18 2015 @ 09:24 PM EDT  
Annemie

Quote by: Woodlands Bleu

hugs to you,
carolyn

Hi Woodlands Bleu

Thank you so much for taking the love and the time to write in with your touching message.
As I am reading your words Woodlands Bleu tears come to my eyes.

Everyone that wrote in, had such loving and important messages, that I will take all of them close to my heart and let them help me to start my and I am sure, the healing of other hurting hearts.
Thank You hug

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Thursday, June 18 2015 @ 09:56 PM EDT  
elle

Annemie: I send you virtual hugs and will follow up with real ones when I see you at FledgeFest. We have met before. We will meet again.hug

I also know those at OWL, even though they deal with injured and dead birds all too often , do not get used to it. My friend in Bird Care at OWL was devastated by the loss of Ma Lafarge and then the 2 eaglets from Hastings/PNE nest all within a few days. It is a very hard job and we are so thankful for all they do. Thank You OWL.

You too, Annemie, did all you could possibly do. Intervention is sometimes possible but always involves time and permits and other red tape . There was no way you could have managed that in the limited time frame you had.

You are grieving. It is natural. It would be unnatural if you felt nothing. There are 7 steps. I am sure you know them.

We are all with you.

Compassion is the most powerful weapon against negative forces.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Friday, June 19 2015 @ 12:01 AM EDT  
karenbills

This is a reminder that FledgeFest is now just a month away. I hope you marked your calendars when we first announced it last month to give folks time to make travel plans or take a day off work if necessary. It is important that you let us know if you are going to try to attend. I am re-posting the invitation from David Hancock. Below it is a hot link to the forum thread devoted to FledgeFest 2015 where you will find a map and other information about the day's activities. It is also the place where the pictures from FledgeFest will be posted following the event.

Wednesday, July 22
, will be here soon and we need to hear from you. Let's make our 10th anniversary a big one as it could be our last if we are no longer able to afford streaming the eagle nest web cams. It will be a time to assess whether we can go forward. You can email me at karen@hancockwildlife.org if you have any questions.

FledgeFest 2015 Harrison Mills

The eagles are again into final stages of nestling development. So it's time to consider our annual gathering of eagleholics!! Another FledgeFest is in the offering for our 10th anniversary.

Historically we started FledgeFest related to our estimated date the Sidney chicks were to fledge. Then a few years back Ma & Pa Sidney had a chick get caught in some fish line in the nest. This necessitated that incredible 'rescue' with many different media in attendance. While the rescue went unbelievably smoothly and without a hitch, as predicted the adult eagles, while successfully rearing their 3 young, did start to build another new nest two days later. This new nest of course did not have our cams. So the next year and since we have not had a formal 'FledgeFest'. The last two years we compromised with a wonderful garden party here at our home.

The discussions as to where we should have FledgeFest 2015 again came to the surface. With the Sidney eagles back at their old nest, and in spite of no cams being present, could we again gather somewhere in the Sidney area? We could also again meet here at my place. I then thought that with Betty Anne Falkner of Pretty Estates having been such an incredible sponsor of the eagles around Harrison Hills, with her help every year with the Fraser Valley Bald Eagle Festival, her sponsorship of our Harrison Mills nest cams and her development of the world's finest bald eagle observatory at Pretty Estates, perhaps we should hold the FledgeFest 2015 at Pretty Estates in Harrison Mills. It became the unanimous choice. So FledgeFest 2015 will be at Pretty Estates on Wednesday, July 22 from 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM. We will be having a lunch and a tour of the site. We might have a second tour of the nearby Chehalis Fish Hatchery.

Perhaps someone can coordinate pickups from Vancouver Island to save the vehicle ferry costs. Of course this will depend on enough mainland volunteers to pick up people coming from Vancouver Island.

We hope to see as many of you as possible.

Cheers to all.

David Hancock

If you plan to attend you must let us know by posting your intention in the forum thread. We will need to give a final number of attendees to the restaurant about a week prior to FledgeFest.

Here's the link to the forum thread for more information:

forum/viewtopic.php?topic=775044#775044

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: Annemie (offline) on Friday, June 19 2015 @ 02:12 AM EDT  
Annemie

Quote by: elle

Annemie: I send you virtual hugs and will follow up with real ones when I see you at FledgeFest. We have met before. We will meet again.hug

I also know those at OWL, even though they deal with injured and dead birds all too often , do not get used to it. My friend in Bird Care at OWL was devastated by the loss of Ma Lafarge and then the 2 eaglets from Hastings/PNE nest all within a few days. It is a very hard job and we are so thankful for all they do. Thank You OWL.

You too, Annemie, did all you could possibly do. Intervention is sometimes possible but always involves time and permits and other red tape . There was no way you could have managed that in the limited time frame you had.

You are grieving. It is natural. It would be unnatural if you felt nothing. There are 7 steps. I am sure you know them.

We are all with you.

Hi elle
Thank you for what you have written and for your understanding of the situation.
It all helps.
I am very thankful to O.W.L. and all they do for us that's for sure.
Thank you for your reminder of how hard of a job they have.
I better get in touch with them to thank them.
I am looking forward in meeting you again at the FledgeFest and giving you a hug as well.
I hope we will talk more then . hug

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Annemie (offline) on Friday, June 19 2015 @ 05:01 PM EDT  
Annemie

wave Good day to all who love these eagles

I phoned the fire department and asked them if they would have come and rescue the little let and they said no.
Now that I think about it, David, Jean, Karen or for example Martina from O.W.L would have told me
to phone the fire department, if that had been an option.
Again, I am really sorry for all of us that have suffered because of loosing the eaglets again this year.
Thank you all for your support, it really touched my heard. hug

A special thanks to you Shrub for all your beautiful pictures and for coming right away to help
when you heard the sad news.
I know how dedicated you have been towards the Hastings family.
hug

I went to the Hastings nest at 1:15 pm today. It is pretty much all gone.
I did not see our eagles.
The nest was build too high.
The branches that supported the nest were to skinny and I did not like that from the very beginning.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Friday, June 19 2015 @ 05:26 PM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Annemie....I am glad you asked the fire department...at least you know it was not an option.

The eagles are probably off being eagles. Next year, hopefully they will build better. Keep your spirits up!
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:44 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate