The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
  Hastings Street/PNE Nest, Vancouver - 2015 - 2017
 |  Printable Version
By: elle (offline) on Wednesday, June 17 2015 @ 01:26 PM EDT  
elle

How tragic Sad I am so sorry and sad for another great loss!

Compassion is the most powerful weapon against negative forces.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Jean (offline) on Wednesday, June 17 2015 @ 01:36 PM EDT  
Jean

10:34am...................I'm just now reading of the fate of the second eaglet here................how devastating...... Cry ............this has not been a good week at all...............words cannot express how we are all feeling at the losses at our nests recently. Thanks to all who have taken their time to post and observe here..................hugs to you all.hug

Heather, thanks for the confirmation regarding the nest.

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time;............they have the heart..........Elizabeth Andrew

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Steamer (offline) on Wednesday, June 17 2015 @ 02:05 PM EDT  
Steamer

The only way this latest scenario could have had any possible happy ending would have been gathering the troups, lots of strong coffee, spot lights and a circus net in place for a all-nighter.......jumping to attention when ears and eyes gave the green light to go into action.

I know Annemie wanted to stay there all night but I didn't think it would be good for health........

That above scenario I mentioned didn't happen of course in my thinking out loud sleep deprived fantasy state today and OWL has yet another body of a dead eaglet at its facility....sigh sign

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Heather (offline) on Wednesday, June 17 2015 @ 03:40 PM EDT  
Heather

Hello Everyone,

I don't know what to say other than, WOW! Hugs to all that watched this nest. Especially to Stan and Annemie who have been very diligent with their reports as they live nice and close. When we were there, along with Stan, Annemie, Angela from OWL and her husband Paul, and Jason, watching the little one, I kept thinking to myself, 'How could the same tragedy strike the same family, two seasons in a row?' Cry It has been one year and about six days since the nest fell last year with the three youngsters. I guess, unfortunately it's another ugly season for eagles this year. First one of the Delta nests baby dies, then Ma Lafarge dies from electrocution just a couple days ago, and now the Hastings pair faces a tragedy again. Only unfortunately loosing both their youngsters. My husband said to me on the way home, and as much as I hate to say it, he is in a way right. At least it gave me a little bit of comfort. He told me he looks at it as Mother Nature, as brutal as she can be at times, is thinning out the dense population of eagles in her own way. With those words ringing in my ears, I found it just a little easier to sleep last night, just a little easier. Cry Hanky My heart goes out to Ma and Pa Hastings for their loss. And to everyone of the watchers of this nest. A very big thanks to Stan and Annemie for making sure the body of the first eaglet was retrieved, so that it can be properly disposed of. Angela many thanks for retrieving the babies, and taking them to OWL, where I know they will be properly looked after.

I hope that this pair will remain in the area, and have a really great season next year.

Hugs everyone hug

Heather

aka shrub

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Annemie (offline) on Wednesday, June 17 2015 @ 05:48 PM EDT  
Annemie

Hi all Hastings eagle lovers.

I'd like to give my condolences to Gemini who followed and loved these eagles right from the start since the 2009 season and extended to all of you that love the Hastings family as well.
I finally have the time to thank you Stim, JudyB, Steamer, Sunshinecoast, Mjb, Shrub,Carolyn, Karen Bills, and Elle for your condolences and your many thanks to us and for being here with us.
Of course you are all very welcome.
Thanks you Gemini, Karen and David Hancock for being there for Stan and I in the last 3 days.
Thank you Shrub, ConfusionCircle, Mjb, for you pictures and help.
Thank you to Angela and Paul for working with us and promptly picking up both eaglets.
Thank you Michael from the PNE for keeping the youngest eaglet for us and letting us know about the eldest eaglet.
I hope I did not forget about anyone. hug

It is so sad that we lost the little eaglets.
May they fly forever free. Red Heart
I did lay my hands on the little one, I just had to.
He did look peaceful and very beautiful.
This little eaglet must have fallen head first and I think must have died on impact.
I don't think she had to suffer at all.
I think it was a she because she had a round body and was very heavy even though she was only 7 weeks old.

I will post the last pictures of the 2nd eaglet that eventually had to pass away as well.
I made these pictures between 8:45 pm and 10 pm, but it will be sad to look at them.
Stan was with me at that time again.

Parent was sitting close to his/her eaglet underneath what was left of the nest.
(Click on the pictures to make them bigger.)

Click on image to download

Parent was still sitting still beside it's baby while the other parents was sitting slightly above what was left of the nest and looking down on to the eaglet.
The eaglet was looking up to the parent.
After sitting on a branch for several hours the eaglet was very tired and tried to sit and lie down several times.
This was so hard to watch.This little one was standing on one leg for a very short time and then stood on the other leg for a very short time and then tried to lie down again and so on.
I knew it was going to fall down but O.W.L. could not do anything for the eaglet.

Eaglet was trying to lie down.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Annemie (offline) on Wednesday, June 17 2015 @ 06:03 PM EDT  
Annemie

Parent is looking at eaglet and eaglet just looked at parent and softly called out.

Parent above, I think it is pa, is still looking at eaglet and the eaglet is looking at ma who is flying out of the tree.
I think it was her that was sitting beside the eaglet.
You can see her in a flying position in the right hand site of the picture below the eaglet.

Pa is still above his baby.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Annemie (offline) on Wednesday, June 17 2015 @ 06:13 PM EDT  
Annemie

After ma flew off, pa sat beside the eaglet.
It tried to sit and lie down several times.

The last time it tried to lie down ,it rolled over on it's side and fell down the tree a few feet.

The eaglet landed in the thick of the tree on a larger branch.
At this time it did not seem to be hurt.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Annemie (offline) on Wednesday, June 17 2015 @ 06:24 PM EDT  
Annemie

It was at this time we talked to Martina at O.W.L. again and as it was getting dark the only thing she could do is phone Angela who agreed
to check on the eaglet first thing in the morning.
She found the eaglet about 15 minutes before Stan and me arrived at the scene this morning.

This is the last picture I took of our sweet little angel.
On this picture the little one is so tired and is trying to lie down yet again.

May this little eaglet meet up with his/her sister and fly for ever free. Cloud 9Cloud 9

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:46 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate