Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
  Hastings Street/PNE Nest, Vancouver - 2015 - 2017
 |  Printable Version
By: Heather (offline) on Wednesday, June 17 2015 @ 02:32 AM EDT  
Heather

After an extensive feeing, Pa hopped over and moved to the end of the branch his youngster was on, and proceeded to try and break some of the smaller branches off. It was as it he was trying to possibly make some kind of re-enforcement? Or to just try and start to rebuild?
Click on image to download

We were loosing light, so taking any more pictures was getting challenging. I see Stan that you have reported that the baby has fallen to a more dense part of the tree. Lets hope that provides the stability it needs to make it to the end of the season. I have every faith that the parents will find a way to get food to it. Especially after watching the effort that Pa put in to getting food to the youngster earlier tonight.

Jason, it was really good to see you at this nest again. Sorry it's under such sad circumstances.

We'll be returning to follow up on the goings on here tomorrow when my husband gets home from work. Provided the baby is still in the tree.

Thank you to everyone for their kind words, and to mjb for your beautiful photos. In answer to your question, that is parts of the nest just above the eaglet's head. The odd piece would fall, causing the chick to jump a little. I can only imagine he/she is just a little freaked out right now. He/she did eat quite well though, which is a good thing.

Hugs everybody.

Heather

aka shrub

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Annemie (offline) on Wednesday, June 17 2015 @ 10:25 AM EDT  
Annemie

Good morning everyone

I am sad to say that the 2nd eaglet fell out of the tree sometime last night.

This beautiful little eaglet also has died.Cry Hanky

Angela who volunteers for O.W.L had picked up the bird 15 minutes before Stan and I got there.

Thank you Angela.

I will write more about it after I did some business.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, June 17 2015 @ 10:40 AM EDT  
JudyB

Cry

Annemie, Stan, Heather, Sharon, Angela and the other folks from OWL, and all who have been following these eagles - my heart goes out to you.

Big, big hugs.
hug

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Steamer (offline) on Wednesday, June 17 2015 @ 10:42 AM EDT  
Steamer

First up thanks Michael from the PNE grounds staff for the early morning call and message Thank You I had a feeling to check the phone before heading out the door since the ringer was turned off. I had set the alarm for 6.30 for Annemie and I to head over but unfortunately it was already to late Sad He indicated the bird was lying down on the sidewalk beside the nest tree..... so it goes for this years season at the Hastings/PNE nest sigh sign

Just for the record Annemie and I stayed till nearly 10 last night and the eaglet was still in the tree so it must have come down after that sometime into the early morning hours of today. Also it was very windy when Annemie and I arrived just after 6.30 this morning so that too might also of been a factor in the fatal fall.

Importantly many thanks to Angela and Paul the volunteers from OWL who came by very early {probably about the time I received the call} to check on the situation and sadly discovering having to pick up the 2nd eaglet from where it lay Thank You Big hugs

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Steamer (offline) on Wednesday, June 17 2015 @ 10:50 AM EDT  
Steamer

Quote by: JudyB

Cry

Annemie, Stan, Heather, Sharon, Angela and the other folks from OWL, and all who have been following these eagles - my heart goes out to you.

Big, big hugs.
hug

Thanks Judy hug

Between the tragic events at both our 2 nearby nest its been quite a week so far......sad

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Wednesday, June 17 2015 @ 12:02 PM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Friends here, I am really sorry....this is awful. I feel for you and the parents. Thank you for constantly caring enough to try to help.
with love,
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Wednesday, June 17 2015 @ 12:32 PM EDT  
karenbills

Oh nooooo!! I will let David Hancock know right away. How sad. After watching this 'first' eaglet in the tree yesterday and wondering where the 'second' one was, Stan and David Hancock went looking for it. Later Stan and Annemie also went looking for the 'second' eaglet only to learn from the ground keeper that it had fallen and died earlier in the day. So all our hopes were on the 'first' eaglet still up in the tree.

Now that one also has fallen and died. So tragic. What a terrible week this has been for our local eagles. Thanks to everyone for their devotion and persistence in observing and reporting on these eagles.

ETA: I just talked to David and he says it was windy at his house so it probably was a factor in the death of this baby.

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: Marg (offline) on Wednesday, June 17 2015 @ 01:19 PM EDT  
Marg

How very sad.

Marg

aka sunshinecoast member since Aug22/06

Content Provider
[url=http://www.hancockwildlife.org/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=482309#482309

Forum

Davis Bay, BC

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:47 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate