Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
  Hastings Street/PNE Nest, Vancouver - 2015 - 2017
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, June 16 2015 @ 10:37 PM EDT  
JudyB

Thanks, Stan - happy to hear that the remaining eaglet is getting some food. This has to have been a stressful experience for the youngster - and food often helps with that. love

Big hugs

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Steamer (offline) on Tuesday, June 16 2015 @ 10:41 PM EDT  
Steamer

Quote by: JudyB

Thanks, Stan - happy to hear that the remaining eaglet is getting some food. This has to have been a stressful experience for the youngster - and food often helps with that. love

Big hugs

Thanks Judy hug

The biggest worry here now is how long it will stay up there. Hopefully it can find a good enough spot on the current branch to call it home for a while fingers crossed

I had to handle one dead bird already today and certainly don't want the 2nd one to meet with a similar fate.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, June 16 2015 @ 11:23 PM EDT  
JudyB

Any idea how old the eaglet is, Stan? The Institute for Wildlife Studies on the islands off the coast of California bands their eaglets at about 8 weeks, and occasionally they've had one jump as they approach the nest - and so far the eaglets have been able to glide safely to the ground. If this one is about the same age as the the Lafarge eaglets, it should also have a reasonable chance of gliding to safety if necessary, as long as their aren't falling branches in the mix.

I can't begin to imagine how hard it was for you to collect the body of the other eaglet - and I'm so glad you were able to do that and send it to OWL. Thank you. hug

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Jean (offline) on Tuesday, June 16 2015 @ 11:35 PM EDT  
Jean

8:33pm............Stan and Annemie............what a day for you both! hug I was hoping that once you had a chance to get closer to look that you would find the other eaglet on the far side of the tree where we couldn't see. Thanks for taking care of the eaglet and contacting OWL. We will hope that the remaining eaglet is able to keep on going forward................the parents will look after it I'm sure, the best that they can.

Here are 3 photos I took while there.........not the best, but gives you a bit of an idea.

Eaglet on a branch.
Click on image to download

I'm not familiar with this nest...............there is a brownish clump to the upper left of the eaglet. Is this the remains of the nest? Perhaps someone who knows this nest can verify.

Adult was shielded by the branches............hard to see, but there.

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time;............they have the heart..........Elizabeth Andrew

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Steamer (offline) on Wednesday, June 17 2015 @ 01:06 AM EDT  
Steamer

Thanks folks for the kind words hug

At 9.15 PM Annemie and I were viewing from the old parking lot across the street and watched as the eaglet fellOh My I ran like the devil himself was on my heels across the street to see where it fell Don't Panic, Annemie jumped into the car and headed across the street. As it turned out it landed on a larger lower branch in a much denser part of the tree. Can the parents get food to it there?

Anyone who can help out with early morning observations tomorrow would be much appreciated....the hope is if it comes down {or better when} that it takes a more gentle fall through all the lower branches to a safe trip to the grass field below. Whoever is on the scene should then watch the bird, contact OWL, and wait till OWL arrives to do their job they do best. Please contact David, Karen or Sharon at the HWF to let them know too.......Thank You

P.S. the eaglet is at the 7 week age Judy based on the length of the tail feathers on the dead eaglet as measured by Annemie according to David Hancock's provided specifications to her as a reference point.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Heather (offline) on Wednesday, June 17 2015 @ 02:04 AM EDT  
Heather

Hi Everyone.

Unfortunately bad luck strikes this family again! It has been just a little more than a year since the nest went down last season with the three youngsters in it. It just goes to show one how brutal mother nature can be.
I have a few pictures that I managed to get today.
The surviving youngster sitting on a branch right below where home once was.

Ma sitting on a branch where the nest was, talking to her youngster below.

Another one of the youngster. You could hear the peeps from the youngster, and Ma returning peeps, as if she was trying to reassure her youngster that things will be OK.

aka shrub

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Heather (offline) on Wednesday, June 17 2015 @ 02:17 AM EDT  
Heather

Ma and her youngster having a little chat.

Ma flew off, but Pa arrived at the same time, with food. We watched as he plucked his catch, and try three times to find an appropriate spot to feed his youngster.
I cropped the next two pictures to try and show that the youngster was actually eating, and believe me, what an appetite he/she had! He/she consumed really big pieces of food!

I forgot to mention that Angela from OWL and her husband joined us. When this little one started to actually take food from his/her parent, we all breathed a huge sigh of relief!

aka shrub

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Steamer (offline) on Wednesday, June 17 2015 @ 02:23 AM EDT  
Steamer

Great shots Shrub Left thumb up

Thanks to Annemie for working together on the phone/car assistance situations and observations during this very crazy dayClapping and yes thanks to Angela and Paul from OWL for all your help Thank You

P.S. yes nice to see you Jason today and thanks Jean for your fine photos too.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:02 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate