Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
  Hastings Street/PNE Nest, Vancouver - 2015 - 2017
 |  Printable Version
By: karenbills (offline) on Sunday, June 14 2015 @ 02:39 AM EDT  
karenbills

Thanks for the good report that this nest fared well in the wind storm. Unfortunately an eaglet in Delta at David Hancock's nest #400 in Delta did not fare so well. It was found dead at the bottom of the tree after the storm passed through. Earlier this season the female eagle there had been electrocuted and died and we feared the eaglet would be lost as a result. However, Pa eagle was able to find a replacement female to help him raise this eaglet. So it is with great heartache that we learned of the eaglet's demise. Thanks to OWL for giving us this information for David's continuing research.

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: Steamer (offline) on Sunday, June 14 2015 @ 03:27 PM EDT  
Steamer

Sorry to hear the sad news Karen Sad

With todays sad news at the Pandora nest NO at least I can say with complete confidence that the Hastings/PNE family is still complete. Both adults and 2 large kids on and about the nest tree this morning Phew

Being that both nest are so close together I needed to know 100% in my own mind who met with a tragic end to make sure we all keep a close look on the right nest to see what follows for the family of 1 parent and 2 chicks of around the same age.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Sunday, June 14 2015 @ 06:14 PM EDT  
stim

Good for you Stan. Your obvious caring about your eagles is felt. And you have branching happening! WooHoo
Yes Karen, I'm very sorry to hear of the little eaglet found dead on the ground after the wind storm blew through.
Wow, a lot of drama at that nest this year. Hopefully next year Pa with his new mate will be more successful in raising some young.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Steamer (offline) on Tuesday, June 16 2015 @ 08:22 PM EDT  
Steamer

MORE BAD NEWS!!

The new nest came down this morning and with it one of the chicks which unfortunately is dead. Annemie and me have the body after some serious leg work on my part to track it down with the PNE ground staff. Thanks for the help guysThank You

OWL is on the way to pick it up at our place. Anna looked at the bird and it seems to have died from head wounds and according to the PNE grounds guys had a fresh fish right beside the body.....very sad Sad

The remaining eaglet is sitting perched on a lower branch about 20 ft below the old nest. David Hancock was there today with Karen and Jean for a visit and he isn't sure how the next stage is going to play outfingers crossed At that time he didn't know of the dead eaglet.

What a terrible week for our local nests Frustration

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Marg (offline) on Tuesday, June 16 2015 @ 08:44 PM EDT  
Marg

This is so tragic. sad
Annemie, Steamer, OWL and all that were there to assist.hug
Marg

aka sunshinecoast member since Aug22/06

Content Provider
[url=http://www.hancockwildlife.org/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=482309#482309

Forum

Davis Bay, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Tuesday, June 16 2015 @ 09:54 PM EDT  
stim

What shocking and sad news. I hope the remaining eaglet will survive with feedings from parents. My heart goes out to all who follow this nest, especially Annemie and Stan. My goodness, you have been through so much this past year! hug

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, June 16 2015 @ 09:55 PM EDT  
JudyB

Oh no - hug

I am so sorry to hear the news, and learn that we lost another little one - it seems that it's been a hard year at so many nests. Cry

Big hugs to all who have been watching those eagles - and extra big hugs, Stan and Annemie for your extra effort. Keeping fingers crossed that something can be done to rescue or keep the remaining eaglet safe until it's ready to fledge.

hug

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Steamer (offline) on Tuesday, June 16 2015 @ 10:21 PM EDT  
Steamer

Heather {shrub} and her man are keeping a good watch at present as I write Thank You Pa worked hard but finally got close enough to the remaining eaglet for a good feed....I'm sure she'll post some pictures later of that.

In the process of putting the right folks in contact right with the right folks at the PNE to know what procedures they need to follow if the other eaglet comes down hopefully in one piece on the PNE grounds below.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:03 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate