Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary Osprey 2014
 |  Printable Version
By: BET (offline) on Saturday, April 19 2014 @ 09:09 PM EDT  
BET

Welcome Back Ernie and JD

Michelle - I was watching that segment while fixing dinner. Mom brought a few sticks in this am and one wad of "grass?" I am wondering what the dead grass situation is around the nest/island area. I am sure there is lots of sticks but with the flood, did any of the grasses survive. Looking down at EnMax's fenced in area which is usually covered in grasses/weeds - all I see is clear land and rocks.

But it is SuperMom and she will find a way.

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: Carole (offline) on Saturday, April 19 2014 @ 09:28 PM EDT  
Carole

wave

Someone has company Oh My And not the one she is waiting for
Click on image to download

aka Cococat9

Forum

Washington

Profile Email   PM

By: amd (offline) on Saturday, April 19 2014 @ 09:48 PM EDT  
amd

Oh yes BET -- luckily, there is plenty of dead grasses available to Mom close to the nest -- even after the water subsided after the flooding last year...there was plenty that managed to stay rooted...and even came back to life growing well into the fall.....
Right now the view you are seeing from the cam, looks horrible, gray and barren....and, yes -- you are right ...immediately below the nest and to the right, that shows where the service road was re-surfaced...it is mud and gravel ( I watched the contractors in the fall beginning to do that work, it was when Dad was still around, by himself, and I was upset that they were scaring him)...right beside the chain link fence...I don't think much will grow there, but towards the center, before the "new" shoreline, (where the geese are always hanging out) that had grass growing again there through the summer and fall, and you will see it green up here very shortly!! If only it would stop snowing.....

Oooooh! Those pesky magpies are relentless aren't they??!

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: lilywriter (offline) on Sunday, April 20 2014 @ 09:57 AM EDT  
lilywriter

Hi Ernie and JD. Nice to "see" you again.

Happy Easter everyone.

I have a confession to make. I might have a problem. Before I got out of bed this morning, I checked on my ipad to see what was happening at our Osprey nest. Yes, it is true. I checked before I got out of bed. Sigh.

I saw our lovely Supermom bringing sticks in and arranging them. I was also wondering if she comes back to the nest each year and thinks "I know when I left last year, there was a nest here."

Yes, I think I am in a silly mood this morning. Have a great day!

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Sunday, April 20 2014 @ 10:17 AM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Christine, that sounds like a good "Problem". We all are so eager as this is a special nest for a lot of reasons. One thing I find wonderful is that not only is there the cam,
but you, Janet, Michelle and others who can "see" it in person. It adds a perspective we would not have and last year saved us from not knowing.
Thank you!
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: BET (offline) on Sunday, April 20 2014 @ 11:06 AM EDT  
BET

Happy Easter to all

Mom just landed on the nest I think it's a small stick she has in her talons.

As I was typing this, one of the pests arrived on the nest box. Mom gave it the evil look and it flew off.

Christine - you have a number of people who suffer the same addiction. It is not easily cured. First, you have to WANT to cure it - and I for one have no desire to do so.

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Sunday, April 20 2014 @ 11:32 AM EDT  
BET

9:25am MDT

Actually it was the tail end of Mom's breakfast fish that she brought to the nest - and left

After Mom left, MockingBird arrived on the nest and went straight for the fish tail. It tried to pick it up

Unsuccesful - it moved around to the far side to try again and suddenly flew off - Mom landed! She just left and the MBirds are returning

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Sunday, April 20 2014 @ 01:03 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

Happy Easter everyone.Rabbit Rabbit

Mom has been by a few times with small sticks this am and it looks like she found some soft grass, too. The geese below are having their usual territorial disputes and the magpies seem to have abandoned ship for now. They come in as a clean-up crew after Mom's visits to the nest but seem to be cheekier this year. They may be hungrier this year as our spring has been colder than usual. Nice to see it warm up for the Easter weekend. Sunny

10:58 am The nest has been empty for a half hour or so now and I'll be out for awhile too. Let's home Dad returns to Calgary soon.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 12:55 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate