The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary Osprey 2014
 |  Printable Version
By: Janet Preston (offline) on Sunday, May 04 2014 @ 12:07 AM EDT  
Janet Preston

Great News Christine. Lets hope all our forecasts keep changing for the better.

"Laughter is Gods' sunshine"
Forum

Calgary

Profile     PM

By: amd (offline) on Sunday, May 04 2014 @ 12:12 AM EDT  
amd

Oh thank goodness the snowfall warning has been lifted Christine --- I could barely bring myself to look at the nest today.....just feeling so sad and worried, but trying to stay positive ...the O's are so strong and dedicated to what they are doing....

Thank you everyone for the updates....I am having a quiet day in that department, but JD your recent post about how "Supermom" came to be, brought back those memories of that year like it was yesterday for me, and for you all that were here.....I especially remember that last day before she stayed on the nest for hours....looking around....waiting and making sure her little ones were definitely on their way to warmer climates... it was like she was reviewing the season and patting herself on the back...what a hard year that was...but wow did she ever blow us away regarding her strength, love and dedication to her family.... truly amazing....

I wish everyone a great night --- stay safe and warm Mom, Dad, egg#1 Red Heart

Added -- BET -- that orange glow that you see comes from our city's street lamps----these "sodium vapor" lamps are orange in color and Enmax has mostly replaced the traditional white mercury vapor lamps in the city with these; when it's snowy like this, with low cloud...that orangey reflection well, it gets really noticeable....the city likes to use these sodium vapor lamps as they cause less light pollution and consume less electricity than old whitish mercury-vapor lamps....
10:39 pm incubating.....good night Mom
Click on image to download

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Jean (offline) on Sunday, May 04 2014 @ 12:41 AM EDT  
Jean

10:34pm..................Oh dear JD, I am embarrassed very embarrassed to say that yes I do remember that year...............I just came here late that year for the first time and remember her looking after all 3 chicks after Pa disappeared.......................yes, Supermom indeed! How on earth could I forget? I even remember actually watching her on the nest just before she finally left the area.............She just sat there in the nest for what seemed the longest time, making absolutely sure her babes were on their way.............and I just knew, that I was seeing her for the last time that year..................she did stay until her babes left the area............we were all so worried for her chicks but she was wonderful! It was like a miracle. I don't know how she mustered up all the energy needed to catch fish and feed those all those chicks............and stay healthy herself. Thanks for giving me a mental shake, unfortunately watching several nests makes past events blur a bit. But I will remember and not forget now. If anyone can overcome this snow, she can.

Ma looks to be sleeping keeping her egg warm.

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time;............they have the heart..........Elizabeth Andrew

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Sunday, May 04 2014 @ 12:54 AM EDT  
Bluebird1

Hi Michelle and Jean. Yes, we have a great admiration for this wonderful Mom on this nest. I hope the forecast has changed as I heard it was going to get colder. It would be fine if the osprey weren`t on the nest brooding eggs, but I really worry about them exposed to the elements for so long and not taking care of themselves.

We`ll just keep watching and hope that it warms up sooner than later. fingers crossed Mom has sure been still the past while, I guess she is beat . Think warm thoughts, everyone. Red Heart

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Sunday, May 04 2014 @ 01:37 AM EDT  
Bluebird1

Mom has been up over her nest for the past half hour (since 11.01 pm) and she is crouching over it and has turned around while looking down. I know that her egg is due today and wondered if she was laying it. At 11:30 Mom seemed to relax a bit and a few minutes later she lay down in the nest. I didn`t get a good look beneath her but maybe worth looking at on your tape, Bet. Good night

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Sunday, May 04 2014 @ 01:55 AM EDT  
BET

Hi and a Good Night to all - humans and O's.

Twice this evening, I thought Mom might have delivered an egg. Particularly at 10.25pm MDT When she stood up to check on the egg and adjust it, I had the gut feeling she had delivered. I went over that segment umpteen times and with the deep shadow on the bowl, I could only make out one egg for sure. The cam stream froze so I do not have the 11:00 time frame.

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: lilywriter (offline) on Sunday, May 04 2014 @ 08:44 AM EDT  
lilywriter

Sunday May 04, 2014

6:40 am

She stood up and I saw two eggs but I did not have time for a s'cap.

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Sunday, May 04 2014 @ 08:50 AM EDT  
jkr

Good morning Christine and Everyone,
I wondered last night if she didn't have two eggs. I turned on the camera for a quick look just after 11:30 last night and she was standing with her back to the camera staring into the bowl.
Only time will tell what's going to happen with these eggs but miracles do happen. If these two hatch we maybe should call them Blizzard and Frosty.

Not a beautiful day ahead but it may get warm enough to melt the snow off the nest.
Sun. Afternoon
Mixed precip.
High 3C
Feels like 1
P.O.P: 80%
Rain: 1-3 mm
Snow: Less than 1 cm
Wind E 10 km/h
Humidity 81%

7:09 am
Mom just got up and flew off for a stretch.
Two eggs alone on the nest.

7:10 am
Looking at the brow marking and whiter chest this looks like Dad on the nest now.
Click on image to download.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:40 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate