Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary Osprey 2014
 |  Printable Version
By: DKY (offline) on Monday, January 26 2015 @ 02:39 PM EST  
DKY

Happy New Year, Osprey-friends. I also don't know why I tuned in but was glad to see posts from several of you, as well as some lovely photos. The web-cam (at least when I tried a moment ago) was no longer streaming. I note than Enmax had promised to provide highlights from last year but I see none on their website (although nothing is better than this forum for a play by play of the year.) For those not living in Calgary - we have had really nice weather for most of January. Sunny It was between 10 - 15 degrees Celsius recently with a couple of the days breaking records. Temperatures will decrease to "seasonal" by the end of the week but we enjoyed it while it lasted. Yes, about 3 more months until we see some activity at the nest. I am looking forward to that, as well as commentary from some of you about whether or not its the same "mom and dad" returning. All the best, and stay warm for the rest of the season. wave

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Tuesday, February 03 2015 @ 08:41 PM EST  
BET

Hi All

Feb, 3

I have been checking the web site almost every day. Captured some interesting weather photos and found that the evening photos were gorgeous - intense blues and vivid reds and greens
Click on image to download

I was late logging in this evening and discovered this strange large light in the middle of the city. Any one know what it is?

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: amd (offline) on Tuesday, February 03 2015 @ 09:35 PM EST  
amd

Hi BET, that is really strange.....it's still there now....I think it could be a reflection in the cam lens housing/cover-- perhaps close by someone has erected some bright lighting of some kind....could even be on the zoo side...there is still a lot of new construction going on down there, even in the residential areas...I just thought of something else as well --- a production company is shooting a TV series called "Fargo" (based on the movie) in the Inglewood area...which is right across the river, where the lookout point is....those night lights that they use are blinding, makes things look like daytime!.....and this reflection hasn't been there until just recently right?
At first, I thought about how sometimes we see planes coming in for landing, going towards the airport which isn't too far from there....north, so... left of that large light, but it can't be the landing lights of a plane, its still there and not moving....

the complex that is directly underneath that weird light is the Calgary Herald building...(local newspaper), but there is no tower with lights near there ....
Well, we won't know for sure unless one of us locals mosey on down there....I hope that Janet or Christine might peek in here to give us their opinion!
7:15 pm

BET -- I think I know what it is....there is a clear sky this evening and as I was driving home the FULL MOON was "coming up" on that eastern horizon, it is huge and very bright....in my pic the light has moved higher than in your pic....I will check the cam to see if it moves away for the next little bit...

7:49 pm the light has moved above our view...you can still see the "rays" reflecting....
I happened to catch a plane coming in for a landing too! (arrow showing direction)

Your pics are gorgeous by the way! I love that we all keep peeking in here....Smile

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Wednesday, February 04 2015 @ 04:43 PM EST  
BET

Hi Michelle

I think you are right. Looking at the image again, I can see that the light is a full round circle and has a "star burst" - like the once that the camera filters create. Undoubtedly the round camera housing created the star burst effect. What a lucky image capture that is. Just pure chance I logged on when I did.

I still can not get the site to stream for more than a half minute or so and sometimes getting it to even appear for a second is a try and try again procedure.

Thank you for figuring out what I captured.

Bet

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: amd (offline) on Wednesday, February 04 2015 @ 05:45 PM EST  
amd

YW Bet, very neat that you caught that image....we should see that for a few more nights maybe, if the sky is clear.
And if its any consolation, each time I have tried lately to get the cam streaming, it also took a few tries....and it wouldn't stay streaming for long...
like now, it took 3 tries ....I took this scap and it was a black screen when I went back....it is strange....
3:36 pm 4 degrees above Celsius today....things are melting again, but tomorrow brings more snow....sigh.........looking forward to Spring!

4:56 pm Sun casts such a warm hue on our wintery scene

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Thursday, February 19 2015 @ 12:05 PM EST  
BET

Thursday Feb 19

Look who's back in town. I noticed a large flock of birds yesterday am when I checked in (by the by I now have perfect streaming video - no blackouts) Last evening the ice was covered with them. Well not totally but a heck of a lot of them.

I set my recorder this am to see if I could catch an image close enough to see what species were fool hardy enough to spend the night on ice. I captured this one fly by that leaves no doubt

edit:

A pair just flew in and must be landing on the nest. Looking to set up housekeeping?

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Monday, February 23 2015 @ 01:41 PM EST  
BET

Monday Feb 23 11:35am MST

I was doing some work on my PC with the stream running on the side. Movement caught my eye - a flock of Canadas came streaming in

There is a dirty stripe across the middle of the cam housing that blurs the images along with the lack of color definition between the birds and the land mass between the river and the sky so the images aren't as great as if the sun was shinning

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Monday, February 23 2015 @ 01:51 PM EST  
BET

Earlier this am. One of my dogs had to go out way to early for me to get up, but I started my computer and set the recorder going on the cam stream while I waited for Ava (my dog) to finish her excursion and come back in.

Two early morning images I liked.

First Light

Sunrise (Since I already posted moonrise earlier, figured we needed a sunrise too)

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 12:48 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate