The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary Osprey 2014
 |  Printable Version
By: amd (offline) on Sunday, September 14 2014 @ 08:11 PM EDT  
amd

Well it was a gorgeous day....Judy, BET and everyone ---I popped down to the river 2:25 pm to 2:50 pm, totally spontaneous visit and not planned at all today, but boy was I ever happy that I did!! Guess what I saw on top of the metal tower?.....my phone camera just doesn't show the detail, but there's an osprey there, eating a fish --- definitely white chested, brown body, I'm pretty sure it was an adult and not a juvie....I just wish my pics showed this for you.....that's Dad's favorite watching spot.....

Click on image to download

Of course, there's no way to confirm that this could have been Dad, but it could also be another osprey on the move....it was just so wonderful to watch as he ate very excitedly.....then suddenly the short, staccato alert calls began by the osprey on the tower.....I spotted another circling bird that could possibly be another osprey.....white underside, brownish markings under the wings...wings with that unmistakable osprey "crook" as they effortlessly float and glide ....it soared for about 5 or more minutes, but didn't come close to the tower or nest area....floated out of view....then the osprey that was calling, promptly went back to eating his meal.

I was just so happy to see and hear an osprey today! Exciting visit compared to the last few....Cloud 9

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: amd (offline) on Sunday, September 14 2014 @ 08:16 PM EDT  
amd

blowing it up didn't really clarify much....but he is there! Smile

6:15 pm No magpies....

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Sunday, September 14 2014 @ 08:57 PM EDT  
jkr

MICHELLE ... I am so excited for you !!! What are the chances of actually seeing someone there today ?!

Dad did like his perch at the top of the tower this year so you just never know ..... maybe he decided to stay a few more days. Or, like you say, it could be someone else entirely.

It also confirms for me that I actually did see an osprey yesterday.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Sunday, September 14 2014 @ 09:54 PM EDT  
BET

Michelle

WHat a great find. I am willing to bet it is Dad O. Thank you for sharing the photos

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Sunday, September 14 2014 @ 10:16 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

Wow, Michelle Bravo

Good on ya! I'm so happy that your trip was rewarded and why wouldn't that be Dad? That cold and snow caught him here and birds usually take cover to ride out those storms. That is why I was wanting them to go before it arrived and I'm glad that Mom and the others left when they did. Smile

That was an interesting visitor to the nest, Judy and Bet and I agree with you Michelle it would have been fun to see the squirrel skittering up the pole.giggle

As to your earlier hawk, I really couldn't call it unless I had seen it but you did well in zeroing in on the N. Harrier. It would be a strange place for a marsh hawks like that , but then it is migration season so things are on the move. (Did you notice a conspicious white rump patch and a long tail?)

We do have a great number of different raptors in our area. Common breeding hawks here are Redtails and Swainsons Hawks but we also have accipiters and falcons and harriers too as well as Bald Eagles and our Osprey of course.

I'm glad you are all keeping an eye out, I've only seen the magpies off and on when I have looked in. It is great that our weather has returned to summer once more and looks like a wonderfully warm week ahead. Sunny "Bring it on."

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: amd (offline) on Sunday, September 14 2014 @ 11:19 PM EDT  
amd

Hi again Judy, BET and JD --- after reading your thoughts -- and thinking back to last year as well....I feel that this really is Dad that I saw today...I was just so thrilled to see any osprey at that site today....beside myself with happiness as I was experiencing a bit 'o withdrawal.....as soon as I heard those calls, my other half was laughing at me ....the smile on my face...ear to ear.....I was so happy to hear that again. It's so different when you hear it in person. Although, it would be fabulous if we could have sound here someday.....wouldn't it? Grin
Going back to last year, it was a little later, but I remember coming down to the river many times and Dad stayed for at least another week after the last chick had left....and this is where he would always end up.....on that tower....its his favorite spot....highest altitude perch! The other spot was upstream by the zoo bridge....and that was only after Mom and all kids had long gone....

Well....wishing you all a wonderful evening.....good night!

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Monday, September 15 2014 @ 07:48 AM EDT  
jkr

Monday September 15, 2014

Today
Sunny. High 22C
Tonight
Clear. Low 7C

7:07 am
A canoeist out enjoying the morning.

I'm off to picket duty again this morning and hoping this strike will come to an end very soon. fingers crossed

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Monday, September 15 2014 @ 11:54 AM EDT  
Bluebird1

waveGood morning.

It's another sunny daySunny and very quiet at the nest. a couple of magpies visited several times but didn't stay long. Nice catch of the paddler going by this morning, Judy. Smile

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 12:39 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate