Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary Osprey 2014
 |  Printable Version
By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Saturday, May 03 2014 @ 09:54 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

I tuned in at the exact time as you, Christine and thought wow, a clean and dry osprey. Mom surely needs a break before nightfall. I notice that even the screen has teardrops for our poor Osprey. Cry

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: Jean (offline) on Saturday, May 03 2014 @ 10:00 PM EDT  
Jean

8:00pm...................Adult was off the nest for 3 minutes.

Click on image to download

3minutes later an adult returns.

It sure doesn't seem fair that this nest has had difficulties the past 2 yrs in a row.

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time;............they have the heart..........Elizabeth Andrew

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Janet Preston (offline) on Saturday, May 03 2014 @ 10:10 PM EDT  
Janet Preston

Snow has abated in South Calgary, you can even see the sun thru the clouds and it is much brighter. If Mom and Dad can hang in till Monday, current forecast says High +8 Sunday High +3 So painful to watch. We need a heated nest next year....

"Laughter is Gods' sunshine"
Forum

Calgary

Profile     PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Saturday, May 03 2014 @ 10:23 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

Make that three years in a row, Jean, that weather has caused major problems in Calgary. Were you here in 2012 when we had the hailstorm that killed Superdad in Aug? It was a day after the youngest of three had fledged and Mom went to the nest beside the threesome and rode out the storm.

On the third day waiting for a Dad that had never let them down (and in fact fed dropins, he was that good), but didn't show up and therefore had to have been killed, Mom took the bull by the horns and did something that we couldn't believe. She sacriflced herself and fed her threesome as well as teaching them the skills they needed to survive AND guarded the nest, all when Mom osprey typically take care of themselves and Dad takes over. Last year she recruited her young buck, bringing him home to Calgary, or so we surmise, and taught him all he knows during that wretched flood year. The poor chap must be wondering what in the world he got himself into!!!! And that is why we admire her so and call her Supermom.

8:16 pm Is this still Dad or did Mom come in, I wonder. I hope it is still Dad as Mom needs a good break before dark.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Saturday, May 03 2014 @ 10:27 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

Rolling on floor laughing A heated nest sounds good to me. Green LOL Glad that you heard a different forecast than I did, Janet,and hope that yours comes true. Sunny

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Saturday, May 03 2014 @ 10:56 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

8:46 pm Dad flew in and attempted a mating so know it is Mom on the nest now. Hope everyone has a good night, Good night especially this pair. Red Heart

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: lilywriter (offline) on Saturday, May 03 2014 @ 11:36 PM EDT  
lilywriter

Heavy Snowfall warning has ended for Calgary!!! Yahoo!

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Sunday, May 04 2014 @ 12:02 AM EDT  
BET

That is great news Christine!

The nest is currently red - or reddish. I wonder if the cam has an ultra violet light and the white snow is picking up the red. What ever - it's a bit weird

Mom seems to have adjusted to the snow bowl. All afternoon and this evening she has been quiet - at ease. I just hope it's not the onset of delivery, but it could well be.

I'll check in one more time tonight. If I wake up at 3:00am like I did last night, I will check in again.

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 11:19 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate