Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary Osprey 2014
 |  Printable Version
By: amd (offline) on Sunday, April 06 2014 @ 01:13 PM EDT  
amd

Hello Judy, BET, Carolyn and Janet! Thank you all so much for your updates....its going to be very soon...I just know it....
I went down to the zoo nest look-out this morning and yes, I did see the long neck and head of a goose that was sitting down in the nest sigh sign....there were so many of them honking away, echoing all over the place; there were many pairs all below where we usually see them when the cam is streaming, I could count about 16 along the base and around the river bank on the large bits of ice that are left....I am sure that when our fave Osprey residents arrive, they will take over....at least I hope they will....fingers crossed

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Thursday, April 10 2014 @ 01:07 PM EDT  
jkr

Michelle, seeing a goose laying in an osprey nest is never a good sign -- it may have eggs. Sad Although seeing geese hatch at the Mission eagle nest cam last year was a treat.

Keeping fingers crossed that it was a visitor and that the cam streams soon.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Thursday, April 10 2014 @ 06:13 PM EDT  
BET

Off Calgary topic

Loch Lowes Ranger Emma posted this video. It is priceless. Occurred last year at Dunedin - in Scotland I presume

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d-Nudj ... e=youtu.be

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Thursday, April 10 2014 @ 08:45 PM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

BET, Dunedin is in Florida. We have a thread for it.....There is a chick and eggs on the nest now.
That video is hysterical.
ty
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: BET (offline) on Monday, April 14 2014 @ 06:07 PM EDT  
BET

I was in communication with Brian Keating (formerly of the Calgary Zoo and now the owner of a wildlife travel tour agency - http://www.goingwild.org/.For those not familiar with Brian, he was the driving force behind the Osprey camera. )

We discussed the geese on the nest and he said he would see what he could do about it. Here is an excerpt from the results of his efforts

Geese = gone.....the Zoo was obviously very switched on..... called me back to tell me the geese were removed yesterday! [Sunday] ..... rest assured the geese are gone. ......

Happy News! Tomorrow is suppose to be THE day. Here's hoping.

BET

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Monday, April 14 2014 @ 10:18 PM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

BET, That is exciting news. It is incredibly wonderful of you to contact Brian Keating. I know they are fond of their Zoo osprey, as much as we are.

I would imagine the Zoo had a multitude of changes after the flood. Has anyone gone recently who lives in the area?

carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: amd (offline) on Monday, April 14 2014 @ 11:46 PM EDT  
amd

wave Greetings Carolyn and BET!!
Thank you so much for these recent updates. It is great that you spoke with Brian Keating, BET -- I went down to the look-out around 4 pm on Sunday and yes, there were no geese on the platform....which I was relieved about....there were the usual several couples of geese all below the nest on the peninsula that it sits on. Lots of gulls on the sandbar....almost all the ice has melted along the edges of the river as well.

Carolyn, I will be going to the zoo here very shortly -- they are preparing to move the last 3 elephants to the Smithsonian National Zoo (in Washington DC?)....a much better, warmer and bigger habitat at the zoo there....sad to see them go, but it will be for the best for those beautiful beasts....some buildings had to be demolished and some have completely been restored.....it is amazing how much man-power and love has gone into the restoration and cleanup....there is still so much damage around the rivers that run through the city....it is forever changed....step by step.....

fingers crossed for tomorrow! We are all longing to see our beloved Osprey family's return!

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Tuesday, April 15 2014 @ 11:16 AM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Hi Friends.....

BET, amd, jkr, happy Calgary crew....It's so good to hear the geese are gone.

Now we wait......

Michelle, thank you for the Zoo report. I am sure the elephants will have a wonderful home in D.C. That is a nice Zoo I hear. Our elephant exhibit in Houston is fabulous and there is a baby.
You can watch on Zoo cam if you wish. (Houston Zoo webcam).....also a baby giraffe which is precious. This is off topic, but on topic has not happened so forgive me.
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:19 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate