Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary Osprey 2014
 |  Printable Version
By: BET (offline) on Saturday, May 03 2014 @ 12:45 PM EDT  
BET

Although she cooperated with the mating, I do not think she was pleased
She stood up and did a number of wing flaps in the direction that Dad flew
Click on image to download

She paused and glared -

and then did some more vigorous flapping

One positive note - She definitely stirred her circulatory system.

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: Janet Preston (offline) on Saturday, May 03 2014 @ 12:51 PM EDT  
Janet Preston

Heavy heart watching pics of Mom and Dad and our first egg. Looking brighter now in South Calgary, and hardly any snow falling. Gosh the Osprey are challenged. Thoughts and prayers for all our wildlife. Will be checking in at the 22x nest this afternoon. Osprey

"Laughter is Gods' sunshine"
Forum

Calgary

Profile     PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Saturday, May 03 2014 @ 01:31 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

Great scaps of the mating, Bet. There will be other eggs! Just hope Mom can hold off until Monday but that would be unusual. Dad flew in again at 11 am to mate but Mom deftly avoided his advances and flew off.
He brooded for 12 minutes , then flew off and Mom came in to resume her duties. It is still snowing in NW Calgary and I think we will be blessed with the snow off and on all weekend. The joy of living in the foothills so close to the Rocky Mtns.

Hi Janet, I missed your post last night. Lots of drama for Enmax and thankfully they were up to the task again.Bravo Now I know why Mom and Dad have been so vigilantly guarding the nest these past weeks. I hope the closeness of the two nests doesn't pose too many problems, time will tell....

11:24 am Mom still on her precious egg. Sad to see the breeze messing her hairdo but her cosy "igloo" is providing partial protection from the wind. Wind to fly a kite and it is not a gale.

11:27 am Mom gets up briefly and scootches down immediately. Up again and wing flaps. Picks at a twig nearby and then flies off. 11:29 am I think this is Mom back again,

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Saturday, May 03 2014 @ 01:53 PM EDT  
BET

Here is an image from earlier this morning - between the time Dad left and Mom returned.

I thought this interesting and thought you all might like to see it too.

The beak marks all around the interior of the snow bowl that Mom made scraping down into the bowl to nudge the egg

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Saturday, May 03 2014 @ 02:08 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

Noon Mom lifted off the egg, stumbled through the snow (needs snowshoes) and shook off the moisture, then immediately went back to brooding. She hasn't given up on this egg so neither should we. A killing frost in Calgary is said to occur at -3C and it hasn't gone that low yet so there is still hope.

12:04 pm Mom flew left again, and the "doughnut" you captured, Bet, is on view again.love

12:05 pm This may be Dad in to cover the egg, not sure.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: lilywriter (offline) on Saturday, May 03 2014 @ 02:37 PM EDT  
lilywriter

Quote by: Bluebird1

Hi Janet, I missed your post last night. Lots of drama for Enmax and thankfully they were up to the task again.Bravo Now I know why Mom and Dad have been so vigilantly guarding the nest these past weeks. I hope the closeness of the two nests doesn't pose too many problems, time will tell....

No worries about the Zoo and 22X nests being too close. They are about 20 kms or 12 miles apart.

However, in past years when I have gone down to the zoo nest there has been both other ospreys and bald eagles in the area but I do not know where they nest as I have not seen any nests close by.

I was out today and it did not feel very cold and snow has slowed slightly. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer and hopefully the snow will stop.

Thanks for all the updates and scaps. I thought the one of the egg in the nest bowl was incredible.

Last night, work up around 1:30 am and had to check the nest. I felt so bad seeing all the snow on the nest but it is nothing to what is there now.

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Janet Preston (offline) on Saturday, May 03 2014 @ 02:47 PM EDT  
Janet Preston

I think was referring to the closeness of the 2 platforms at 22x
Nice to know its not too bad out there Christine, I am about to venture out there
Egg is exposed on the Zoo nest right now, not sure how long for, heartwrenching time.

"Laughter is Gods' sunshine"
Forum

Calgary

Profile     PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Saturday, May 03 2014 @ 02:52 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

HI Christinewave

Well, thank goodness that I misread Janet's post and I thought Enmax had put up another platform close to the Zoo platform. Guess it is just all the usual traffic that has them worried. There are lots of other raptors in our area to concern them too.

12:45 pm Mom just returned to the nest,where the egg had been exposed for 7 minutes. I'm thinking that Dad is not eager to sit here in this chilly weather and I don't blame him one bit, poor fellow. Last year a major flood, this year a May snowstorm (not as unusual as you might think, Carolyn). What next?

ps Hi Janet. Thanks for your photos and I look forward to today's.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 11:32 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate