The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary Osprey 2014
 |  Printable Version
By: BET (offline) on Friday, May 02 2014 @ 11:02 PM EDT  
BET

Christine I see a deer - I am on windows PC

8:48pm

Mom enduring the snow - stood up and shook off the dusting on her back
Click on image to download

Dad took advantage of her standing and flew in landing on her back
(should I say that's a male for you?)

Mated

Dad flew off - Mom did too - so Dad got his reward? or just deserts? returned and has taken up egg duty in the snow.

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: amd (offline) on Saturday, May 03 2014 @ 12:46 AM EDT  
amd

Good evening and huge thank you's to Judy, BET, JD, Bev, and Christine!! It has been a very long day, and it is so nice to sit and catch up on today's happenings regarding this very special couple plus egg #1....so great to see that fabulous fish feast that arrived late afternoon.

Was a little shocked to see Mom covered with snow already.....Sad it is now zero degrees celcius and there is a lot more snow to come apparently....but we all know Mom is such a trooper ....been through a lot worse...please stay safe and warm.....

10:25 pm brrrrrrrr

Good night everyone

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Saturday, May 03 2014 @ 01:08 AM EDT  
Bluebird1

10:46 pm

Hi Michelle and thanks for the scap. I wonder if we will even see the nest in the morning. Oh My Our snowbound osprey has just risen and turned 180 degrees in the nest. She is standing over the egg before resuming her duties for what will seem an interminable weekend if the forecast is correct.

It is particularly brutal as after a lovely warm day yesterday (22C) Sunny to suffer through a very wet day Rain and now to have it freezing has to be the cruelest cut of all. Snow And a great formula for contracting pneumonia,

11:06 pm I believe that Mom is still standing over and cooling her egg. It will be interesting to see if the first eggs hatch close to or on the same day as they normally do. (Or if this one hatches at all!) It has been 20 minutes now that Mom has been off the egg.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: Jean (offline) on Saturday, May 03 2014 @ 01:33 AM EDT  
Jean

11:31pm................wave....Hi Michelle and JD! Sure hope this weather doesn't last long for our osprey family here. Hopefully the weather will turn around again soon! Birds are truly amazing creatures................those spectacular feathers make the most wonderful insulating blankets! This is probably more worrisome for us than it is for our Ma here.

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time;............they have the heart..........Elizabeth Andrew

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Janet Preston (offline) on Saturday, May 03 2014 @ 01:36 AM EDT  
Janet Preston

Thank you Michelle, I too just saw that painful image of Mom. Praying for any kind of warmer weather tomorrow for Mom and Dad.
Yes Michelle a long day today for both of us, so glad you were there with me.
Never will I sigh or complain again when there is a power outage. Enmax Energy Personnel were nothing short of amazing today to protect the safety of Humans and the safety of our Osprey. In particular at Enmax, Jessica Martin, Alison Anaka and Wes, although many other workers whose names I need to find out to extend a huge thank you. In the past few weeks, a team consisting of BET, Christine, Michelle and myself have been working closely with Enmax and monitoring activity of geese who had taken over an Enmax Platform in Calgary and Osprey rebuilding on dangerous Power Poles in the vicinity. Enmax removed the nests, but the Osprey just moved from power pole to power pole. Yesterday the Osprey rebuilt on the pole adjacent to the Enmax Platform. At around 6 am this morning this Power Pole caught fire, the Osprey fled to the safety of the trees, and we are indebted to First Responders and Enmax Personnel for working tirelessly this entire day to secure the area, restore power, in the worst of weather conditions, cold wet rain all day. Workers were still there well into the supper hour. Power was restored, all power poles repaired, AND Enmax expedited the installation of another Platform there to avert the same danger again. The Osprey did attempt to deliver branches to the new platform, but were still a little nervous, then a snowstorm blew in and they retreated back to the trees. Enmax worked so hard behind the scenes today to make this all happen in a short time. So, personally whenever another power outage occurs, I will remember today and Jessica, Alison, Wes and all the other workers who have faces without names for now, for working long cold hours today AND with smiling faces.
and the Osprey that almost landed on the new platform then got scared for now.

"Laughter is Gods' sunshine"
Forum

Calgary

Profile     PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Saturday, May 03 2014 @ 01:40 AM EDT  
Bluebird1

Hi Jeanwave Not a great beginning for this egg, is it?

The egg was still uncovered at 11:10pm which was at least 24 minutes without brooding (Mom standing over it but not on it) and I missed the next few minutes but Mom was sitting at 11:15, then got up and went to the side of the nest to shake the snow off her wings. She returned to the eggs in three minutes, sat a minute later but then got up and turned the egg and turned in the nest and now at 11:24 pm is brooding facing the river.

Luckily Calgary is exempt from the heavy snowfall warning so we may receive just 5 to 10 cm coming in waves
this weekend. That will be plenty, ty!

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Saturday, May 03 2014 @ 06:41 AM EDT  
BET

Saturday May 03, 2014

4:30am MDT

No words needed

5:30am

And then
Mom returns to nest

Digs and cant' find egg - flies off

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Saturday, May 03 2014 @ 07:57 AM EDT  
BET

5:45am

Still can't find egg - leaves, returns again

Dad flies in - I can hardly believe my eyes - mates

Dad flies off. Mom settles down into the snow pit.

Back to bed with me maybe I can get back to sleep. I will leave the recorder on and hopefully stream won't freeze even though the nest is freezing.

Snow is an insulator. Time will tell if this egg is just delayed in hatching - perhaps it's a purposeful delay by Mom in instinct to the low pressure system and she will delay laying egg 2

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:41 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate