https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Decorah, Iowa - Bald Eagle Cam - 2010
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, June 01 2010 @ 06:48 PM EDT  
JudyB

Thanks, Mary - I hadn't realized it may have been going on for that long, but do agree that one of the feet does look somewhat swollen in nightowl's pic from the 19th. I have a ton of pics I haven't posted (that "hours in the day" thing) so will take a look through those. A friend who watches the nest sent me some pics over the weekend, and I must admit that I hadn't noticed there was a problem until I read her email.

Seeing your pic (and I have one from today that looks as if the left foot is swollen), I think I may have misinterpreted an earlier pic - especially since one of them that I'm quite sure is not the one who was just limping struck the same pose just now
Click on image to download
I also am rethinking which one it is, having recently seen a non-limping eaglet in the front spot. (I sort of wish eagles came in patterns like cats - it's quite rare for two kittens to be identical! Cool)

This is funny - one of the adults brought in a load of straw, and was pounced upon by all three (though it's possible the one with the sore foot was a little slower than the other). I haven't seen a lot of food deliveries, so I think they were hopeful. However, now they are busy spreading the straw around the nest - and trying to grab it from each other! love I suppose it is possible there's something edible inside - but if so, they haven't found it yet. Smile

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Wednesday, June 02 2010 @ 12:40 AM EDT  
MaryF

Speaking of food in the straw...I saw the youngest dig in the nest and come up with a nestover this afternoon. He walked around with it, looked at the other two watching him, and then took it back to where he got it and reburied it!! Grin

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Wednesday, June 02 2010 @ 12:50 AM EDT  
MaryF

A few pics from the 30th of May.

Am I not the cutest eaglet in the world? love

But will I ever grow into this huge beak?

All three big'lets in a row checking out something interesting below. There are no stubby eagle butts here any more...just beautiful feathers! Left thumb up

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Wednesday, June 02 2010 @ 12:59 AM EDT  
MaryF

3 more!

May I please have some too, big sister? Smile

3 big eaglets all in a row!! They look like Heckyl and Jeckyl the big black crows sitting on their wire! (a very old cartoon)

EAGLE EYE!!!

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Wednesday, June 02 2010 @ 01:06 AM EDT  
MaryF

Last two!!

Dinner time in the rain.

'lets are still hungry so later they went looking for nestovers...that little fish didn't fill 3 big hungry eaglets!

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, June 02 2010 @ 08:20 AM EDT  
JudyB

I love your "eagle eye" picture, Mary! And I have noticed that non-limping eaglets walk erratically from time to time - partly learning balance and partly because nests are the best of places for walking. I'll plan to watch them again - the impression I was getting is that it seemed to be improving, and there were times I couldn't tell which one was limping, so I agree with that assessment.

And watching one of the 'lets "helping" remove a fish from one of the adults' talons yesterday, I wouldn't be surprised if there was an adult walking a bit tenderly this morning! Titter

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, June 02 2010 @ 03:04 PM EDT  
JudyB

All three eaglets are happily practicing their flapping and hopping in the rain. I'm guessing they're enjoying the cooler temperature, and all have plenty of feathers so the water isn't a concern for them. Must admit I'm having trouble guessing which is no-longer-itsy-bit! LOL I'm guessing s/he is doing less hopping, and I think has slightly shorter tail feathers still - but I'm not even sure about that.

I was a bit concerned when this flap-fest started because one was lying down and I suspected it's the one with the sore foot - and didn't want it to end up with additional bruises as the other two hopped on it! But it did stand up and take part in the flapping.

You know, they have one of the bigger nests I've seen - and it still seems a little small when they're all active! Grin

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: soph9 (offline) on Wednesday, June 02 2010 @ 04:09 PM EDT  
soph9

it is nasty out there...seems like hail and pouring rain!

Forum

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:34 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate