You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Decorah, Iowa - Bald Eagle Cam - 2010
 |  Printable Version
By: MaryF (offline) on Monday, May 31 2010 @ 02:54 AM EDT  
MaryF

Last two from the 27th.

Here's the oldest 'let...still in "her" spot!
Click on image to download

I AM EAGLE!!

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Tuesday, June 01 2010 @ 12:45 AM EDT  
MaryF

The 29th of May was a very hot day on the nest. The eaglets and their Mom looked miserable most of the day with Mom trying to shade her great big babies. I'm sure they must have had food but anytime I was watching I didn't see any.

Some big wing action and wingersizing! I think it's the youngest one. Puzzled

Three big eaglets on the nest. Most of the time it's getting very hard to tell them apart. :dunno:

I see that y'all crazy Hancock eagleholics are still out ther watching. Grin

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Tuesday, June 01 2010 @ 12:57 AM EDT  
MaryF

It was so hot in the afternoon that I really felt sorry for them.

Our good Mom was trying to provide shade for the kids.

There just wasn't enough shade for those big birds. There was a lot of drooping wings and panting going on.

Poor Mom...after several hours of trying to be a "shade tree" she was exhausted by the heat.

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Tuesday, June 01 2010 @ 01:03 AM EDT  
MaryF

Late afternoon and the leafy part of the tree is finally shading the nest.

Our three big 'lets all in a row in the shade. love

Mom is looking better too now that she is out of the sun. Smile

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, June 01 2010 @ 12:30 PM EDT  
JudyB

Wonderful pictures and stories - thanks so much, Mary! Grin

I've been watching them take turns flap-hopping across the nest - only an inch or so up, but definitely beginning to get the concept of flight and how it relates to those huge wings they're sporting all of a sudden.

I do want to mention that one of the eaglets is limping. Sad The folks on the BirdCam forum are fairly sure it's either Middle or Big, but aren't sure which. It's been going on for a couple of days, and I have the impression from the reports and some emails I've received that it seems to have improved somewhat over that time. I have only been watching recently, but according to the reports, the eaglet seemed unable to put any weight on its right leg initially, and now it is using it for balance and seems able to put weight on it, though it is still clearly favoring that leg.

It's not actually that obvious as all of them are using their wings to hop across the nest rather than walking at least part of the time.

Just saw a food delivery - and the injured one dove for the fish, then limped back to the edge when one of the others (Youngest?) grabbed it. The one who had it couldn't quite figure what to do next, so the adult returned and is now feeding the injured one and the one who initially grabbed it. Third eaglet is lying down watching but hasn't approached - I'm thinking he/she may have had the majority of the previous fish.

Just refreshed the cam, and the one who had the fish initially now has it back and is self-feeding quite efficiently, standing on the fish and pulling off pieces - probably easier now that it's been started. And the one with the sore foot is back in front of the cam enjoying a bit of shade, and had several good bites of the fish. (I also suspect if he/she were seriously hungry, she'd be closer in hopes of making a grab for the fish.)

Hopefully it's just a minor injury - they are big enough that they can do a bit of damage to each other in a scuffle for food - or just landing on a sibling who's sprawled out for a nap. I'll be keeping my eye on them when I can, and hoping all will be well soon. They're around 8 weeks old, so near full size but several weeks away from fledging, so there should be plenty of time for a minor strain or cut to heal.

Edited to add some pictures of the eaglet who is limping - sorry that they're not properly cropped, but that's harder to do at work. Roll eyes

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, June 01 2010 @ 05:06 PM EDT  
JudyB

I'm now thinking I may have been confused about which foot is injured - it was looking as if she was putting more weight on her right foot - though I suppose it might be able to support her but not flex quite right when she walks. I hadn't really been focusing on that, as I was more interested in how it affected her ability to function. (And there's the embarrassing fact that I've always had trouble telling left from right unless I can think about it for a moment, and have a tendency to double-correct when I'm looking at something that's facing me.)

Anyway, whichever foot it is - she seemed to be able to stand for relatively long periods of time, the same as the other eaglets (possibly with most of her weight on her good foot). She did spend some time lying down, but while I didn't time it, I didn't get the sense she was lying down that much more than the others. And while she was a bit clumsy getting up, she was able to do it quite quickly when food arrived.

I admit I sort of lost track of who was who a while back - but the oldest seemed to spend the most time at the front of the nest (near the cam), and that's where this one seems to be, so I think it likely that it's the oldest who is limping.

I did notice a few minutes ago that the other two were busy hopping about the nest using the wind to lift them up, and she seemed more interested in avoiding being bumped than joining the game. (And I'm actually only seeing two chicks at the moment - but I think Middlest is over at the far left with Youngest - though I'm not quite sure which of them I'm seeing.)

Anyway, I'm hoping that she'll continue to improve. I do remember several eaglets over the years who have spent a few days limping and recovered in time without intervention. Smile

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Tuesday, June 01 2010 @ 05:22 PM EDT  
MaryF

JudyB I did notice that one of the eaglets seemed to have a swollen left foot and toes. I would have to look at my pics but I think it was middlest...not sure as they are hard to tell apart sometimes. I noticed that it was lying down more than the other two and was about to write to my contact at this cam to see what they thought when you wrote your piece. I hope it's something minor and not a break!!!

This pic was posted by nightowl on 5/19. You can see that the left foot is slightly swollen

This is my pic from 5/30 that I hadn't posted yet. You can see that the foot is much more swollen...doesn't look good!! Sad I'm still not sure if it's Biggest or Middlest. The feet of the other 2 look normal to me in this pic.

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Tuesday, June 01 2010 @ 06:41 PM EDT  
MaryF

Puzzled I've been watching the 'lets for the last 45 mins. I haven't seen any puffy feet or anybody limping. They all held food down with their feet and self fed.

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 09:54 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate