https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Decorah, Iowa - Bald Eagle Cam - 2010
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: iowamom987 () on Saturday, April 24 2010 @ 09:46 AM EDT  
Anonymous: iowamom987

Good morning! It's a rainy Saturday morning in Decorah. We had some rain late yesterday afternoon, too.

I just took a quick peek at the nest and watched the little ones trying to snuggle under cover this morning to stay warm and dry. The radar shows that we'll be having rain for a while yet, so it will be a while before we see much of the little guys this morning.

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, April 25 2010 @ 12:22 AM EDT  
JudyB

It was interesting watching these little ones today. The oldest (temporarily nicknamed "Very Big" ) was three weeks old today - and the youngest ("Very Little" ) was two weeks old. And when you're dealing with eaglets, who go from fluffballs to fledglings in 12 weeks or less (on average) - that really is a large difference.

What I found most interesting - and it doesn't necessarily appear as obvious in the slideshow as it did while I was watching - is that there was a bit of sibling rivalry.... But not necessarily what you'd expect. Very Little decided to attack Very Big. I won't say that was the smartest move an eaglet his size could make - though he definitely had the element of surprise on his side. In fact I think it took three attacks before Very Big noticed. And once Very Big noticed, her first move was to step back and stare in disbelief. However, Very Big is, after all, an eaglet. And even a mellow eaglet has her limits - so at some point she did indeed direct a well-aimed peck at Very Little, who wisely decided to call off the attack, and went into submission for a minute or two. I suspect that the fact that Very Big's beak is probably larger than Very Little's entire head at this point might have been a factor in that decision - and I think it was a good decision.

Afterwards there was a hatchday dinner for the eaglets, and Very Little did get fed first (perhaps because he missed out on the previous feeding and the others were full - but I have noticed that he does get the extra feedings a younger eaglet probably needs - it is a good thing for him that he has experienced parents!). And all in all, I think they had a good day, in spite of the morning showers. Grin

Click for slideshow - 22 pics

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Sunday, April 25 2010 @ 02:29 AM EDT  
Anonymous: CAL04

Your slideshow was quite entertaining, JudyB. Love the captions. Could see that Very Little was really performing. Would not be surprised since there is so much difference in size that VL was expecting VB to feed him.

By: Anonymous: JudiMN () on Sunday, April 25 2010 @ 07:14 AM EDT  
Anonymous: JudiMN

Judy that was too cute!
Cal I bet you are right, our spunky Very Little could have been looking for food!

this has been a fun nest to keep an eye on!

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, April 25 2010 @ 08:06 AM EDT  
JudyB

That is a possibility, CAL - hadn't thought about that! I have seen a chick occasionally peck an adult to get attention. There was one point where it looked as if VB was almost brooding VL - the size difference is quite amazing! I must admit it's not always easy for me to tell the two larger ones apart - in this case, I think the middle one (Very Middle? Titter) was dozing during the interaction between the other two - but I'm not actually positive.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Monday, April 26 2010 @ 09:06 AM EDT  
Anonymous: CAL04

wave Good morning,

7:52 am,
Mom just left the nest. "Very Middle" (thank you JudyB) has found a comfy pillow for his head. VB has been playing with a corn stalk. VL was enjoying the scenery but he buried his head because VB was making too much noise with the corn stalk.

Click on image to download

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, April 26 2010 @ 09:09 AM EDT  
JudyB

Thanks, CAL! Titter Titter

And good morning! wave

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Monday, April 26 2010 @ 03:33 PM EDT  
MaryF

Couple of nest shots!

You wake him up....NO YOU do it! LOL

Two face plants and an ostrich!

Another of beautiful Mom. The coloring around her eyes fascinates me! love

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 08:40 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate