The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Blackwater Refuge MD - 2014 - Bald Eagle Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: IrishEyes (offline) on Tuesday, January 14 2014 @ 07:07 AM EST  
IrishEyes

I thought i would check here again

Good Morning JudyB and thank you for taking the time to tell me about Lisa...... i will know now when i read the blog and the notes on the side of the cam... sorry you didn't get to meet her....good to know also about the cam being turned off during the night.... OH!! I do like those links that you have us.... I will be referring to them... excellent.....thank you.!

7am....7:02am

Mom is checking the nest bowl.. like she is attending to an egg... BUT not giving us a peek.....
Click on image to download

I must go now.... I hope if there is an egg... you will see it when you check again Judy........

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: Litz (offline) on Tuesday, January 14 2014 @ 07:36 AM EST  
Litz

Good Morning, Lonette, Irish eyes! JudyB, and Carolyn,
So glad another season has begun...maybe we'll have a reason to do the happy dance today....
Good to see you all.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, January 14 2014 @ 08:19 AM EST  
JudyB

Good to see you, Litz!

I don't think there's an egg there - but mighty hard to tell in this light. There is something that looks white, but I don't think it's large enough. It will be easier to tell when the cam switches to daylight mode.

Sherri from the Maine Window-on-Wildlife forum reported that she left about 7:21 am, and an eagle appeared on the osprey nest at about 7:25 - so that might have been her (though there are a lot of northern eagles that spend some time in that area in the winter). She reported that there were two eagles there at 7:45 am - and I just checked, and there are still two there.

8:35 am
Cam went to color, and I'm still not sure. I can't judge size, but it's the right shape and color.

If it's an egg, it seems odd that they're both hanging out on the osprey platform (or even if that's not them, wherever they are, it's not perched on the side of the nest. They don't need to incubate it immediately - and many eagles don't do a lot of incubating until the second egg appears - but it seems odd. Or maybe I'm bringing human memory into play, knowing that they once lost eaglets to an intruder.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, January 14 2014 @ 08:46 AM EST  
JudyB

8:41 am
Adult is back - and now that I have something to compare the size - that sure does look like an egg!

Not sure which adult this is, and it looks as if he/she is keeping watch and not actively incubating, though it's hard to be sure with the cam angle.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Lonette (offline) on Tuesday, January 14 2014 @ 08:59 AM EST  
Lonette

Sure is an egg, I do believe. I'm not sure why she or he isn't incubating just yet. I saw the IR pic this morning, and thought it looked like an egg. Let's see if incubation starts and then we can say HAPPY FIRST EGG DAY!!!!

Bev, JudyB and Litz, thank you SO much for your coverage last night and this morning. I watched some last night but every time I checked on Mom she had her head under her wing and was SleepySleepy

ETA:

TAA - DAAAAA!

“Our power of perseverance is as that of an eagle. We soar above our challengers.” Ellen J. Barrier

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Lonette (offline) on Tuesday, January 14 2014 @ 09:02 AM EST  
Lonette

It is scary, JudyB, knowing of the intruder attack a couple of years ago. BW reported that last weekend there was actually a juvie on the nest for a couple of minutes. Maybe one of ours from the past. I don't know.

They also have reported a third nest has been built in the refuge, so perhaps many eagle parents are using the osprey nest to perch right now. So many eagles, so little time. Faint

“Our power of perseverance is as that of an eagle. We soar above our challengers.” Ellen J. Barrier

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, January 14 2014 @ 09:12 AM EST  
JudyB

Good morning, Lonette. It is good to see everything looking normal now. I do think the egg was laid late yesterday afternoon - and if we'd seen it then, I would have known what it was. Titter But it did look as if the nest was empty when Mom first left this morning - and the egg only gradually came into view, which did add to the confusion.

Time to focus on my work - though I will be keeping an eye on the cam!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Lonette (offline) on Tuesday, January 14 2014 @ 09:15 AM EST  
Lonette

I kind of think maybe she laid the egg yesterday late sometime as well. Perhaps Lisa will post on the web cam site today. If not, I can't imagine her having slept in the nest.

WOOOOO HOOOOOO!

ClappingClapping

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:42 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate