You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Other Birds and Wildlife > African Wildlife
 The Leopards of Djuma
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: CJ () on Saturday, January 09 2010 @ 12:44 PM EST  
Anonymous: CJ

MVULA

A young leopard in the area who is now competing for his own territory. His name, 'Mvula' means 'rain':

Update: Here is the link to the Facebook fan page for Mvula:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mvula-Mal ... 1715394451
His history has now been confirmed. He was born in 2005 in Lion Sands to the Outcrop Female and sired by Tumbela.

In 2010 he has been seen mating with Saseka (aka Thandi), Karula's daughter.

14 August 2008:

The latest news on Mvula is that he is hanging out in the Arathusa area and he and Matimba have been having a few confrontations.

22 November 2008 ~ Mvula visited Djuma:

By: Anonymous: CJ () on Saturday, January 09 2010 @ 12:50 PM EST  

The Mystery Male or 'The Poacher'

This is the male leopard that stole Karula's kill when her cubs, Saseka and Tingana, were still young. Nick and Helen (original members of the WE team) were on the drive and at first Nick thought it was a lion because he was so large. Helen had never seen him either. After checking with other guides, Nick said he had been identified as Tyson and went into a history of how he got his name.

It has since been determined that he is not Tyson. We have never been able to identify him and he was only seen the one time at Djuma. He is included just in case someday he shows up.

By: Anonymous: CJ () on Saturday, January 09 2010 @ 01:05 PM EST  

The Male Leopards

Mafufanyane is the dominant male of Djuma. The Beacon Male was seen frequently in the area but hasn't been seen recently. He is still young and does not have his own territory.

The Jordaan Male is rarely seen. The "Mystery 'Heart' Male" has been identified and given the name "Yambilu Jordaan." The leopard named Tyson is mainly seen to the west and south of Djuma but I don't think he has ever been seen on WildEarth. The Jordaan Male (waiting for a good picture for ID purposes) is mainly to the north and east of Djuma but has also been seen toward the south. There is one more male leopard, that has created confusion, from the only time we saw him and I have called 'The Poacher.'

On a couple of occasions a young male was seen venturing into Djuma whose name is Matimba. Matimba's mother is Safari and he is Karula's younger brother. I do not have a good picture of him, but there are many great photographs of him on the web. Aquila, a mod on the WE Ning, posted a couple of pics of Matimba on my blog page. Thanks Aquila, I really appreciate it.

There has been another new young male seen a couple of times at Djuma by the name of Mvula. His territory appears to be mainly to the west in the Arathusa area.

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:43 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate