Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 CalTrans Eagle Cam, Turtle Bay, CA - Bald Eagle Cam - 2010
 |  Printable Version
By: itsgrama (offline) on Tuesday, May 25 2010 @ 03:26 PM EDT  
itsgrama

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this yet, but, I have been observing for some time and noticed that one of the eaglets seems to be taking on the attributes of a female. It is bigger than the other two and I have watched as it stands guard while the other two sleep (yes, I have watched in the middle of the night thanks to the 'back' button). I have also seen it lay down by the other two and stretch it's wing over them as if to keep them warm. Myself, I do believe we have at least one mom in the making.Nodding yes Anyone else noticed this behavior?

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: itsgrama (offline) on Tuesday, May 25 2010 @ 03:27 PM EDT  
itsgrama

:cry1::cry1:I will be so sad when they fly away.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: Eagle Eye () on Wednesday, May 26 2010 @ 01:14 AM EDT  
Anonymous: Eagle Eye

Good observation, itsgrama. My guess is that Justice is a male and the other two are female. Guess we will never know, though.

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Friday, May 28 2010 @ 11:39 AM EDT  
eaglewoman

Left thumb up Good observations itsgrama!
I have also noticed that similar to last season, 2 of the 3 eaglets seem to want to be very close to each other, almost looks as if they are snuggling?!? The other eaglet is more stand offish, like you said maybe keeping watch.

So, when do you think these 3 are going to fledge? We were thinking June 16th for our Fledgefest '10, but is that a week too soon? Last year we held our fledgefest on June 9th, so we just went 1 week later since they were born later this year.
What do you think Eagle Eye?
Here's a scap of the big babies on Friday at 8:45 a.m.
Click on image to download

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: mykitters () on Friday, May 28 2010 @ 09:56 PM EDT  
Anonymous: mykitters

Hi Everyonewavea special hi to eaglewoman I've been so busy lately that I haven't been posting because it takes me forever to log into the forumEvil I think its just my outdated computer oh well... I have been keeping up by reading the posts and watching the cam several times a day. They sure are getting big:blink: and before you know it they will have fledge and it will be bittersweet, right itsgrama ? Flegefest sounds fun again this year but I can probably only go if its on a weekend because of work. Anyhow keep up the great and awesome job on the beautiful pics everyoneLeft thumb upClappingI might have to update my screensaver to one of those! Welcome to the forum MM ! You have come to a wonderful place where we all share our love and respect for this exceptional eagle familyWub Bye for now!

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Saturday, May 29 2010 @ 02:20 AM EDT  
eaglewoman

Welcome back mykitters!!!
We have missed you soooooo much! Thanks for checking in, I figured you were super busy with your kidders and your job.Smile
Hey, don't forget last year we did 2 sessions of Fledgefest, one at 10am and one at 7pm. You could make the 7pm one on Wednesday, couldn't you? It wouldn't be the same without you!

I'm starting to look at June 23rd instead of June 16th if that still works for Eagle Eye and eagletwatcher?!? We'd sure love to see even more of our Hancock Forum Family out there this year!

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Saturday, May 29 2010 @ 03:21 AM EDT  
JudyB

Wonderful pictures and observations, eaglewoman, Eagle Eye, itsgrama, MM and mykitters! And welcome to the forum, MM! Welcome

The eaglets are about 9 weeks old now - where has the time gone? And they are looking so big and beautiful. Smile I just looked back at my notes from last year, and they fledged when they were about 12 weeks old - so probably in about 3 more weeks (though some eaglets do fledge as early as 11 weeks, and others enjoy hanging around the nest and being fed, so it can be later as well).

I wish I could get out there for your fledge fest - but Maine is quite a ways away. I will be with you in spirit, and looking forward to your pictures and reports. Grin

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Saturday, May 29 2010 @ 02:23 PM EDT  
eaglewoman

Thanks so much for checking out that info from last year JudyB!

Now me thinks that we should probably stick with June 16th, better too early than too late, right? And that would be 3 more weeks from now. Does that work for everyone?

Wish you could be here too JudyB!!!

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:21 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate