Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 CalTrans Eagle Cam, Turtle Bay, CA - Bald Eagle Cam - 2010
 |  Printable Version
By: eaglewoman (offline) on Monday, June 28 2010 @ 08:43 PM EDT  
eaglewoman

Still haven't been seeing the adults in the "Family Tree" these past few evenings. They are letting out a lot of water from Shasta Dam these days so the river is running real high in that cove that they like to fish in.

I was shin-deep in water at the swamp spot, instead of ankle-deep!!! And, the temperature of the water felt a lot colder, like river water, not swamp water.

I was trying to get some video down there last night when I started hearing a strange sound on the other side of the bush that I was filming from. When I looked through the branches of the bush to see what it was, I spotted 2 pretty good size beavers who had just come on shore from the pond. I started splashing around and making noises so they knew I was there, and fortunately they both headed right back into the water! Phew~those things are big close up!
One of them started giving me some warning slaps on the water with it's tail, so I knew that I was too close for their liking. I packed up my stuff and headed out of there real quick-like!
I don't need that kind of excitement!

I listened to the video to see if I could hear the sounds the beavers were making, but it is pretty hard to hear it. If you turn up the volume really loud, you might be able to pick it up....
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_timedt ... SynekCtcMk

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Wednesday, June 30 2010 @ 02:52 AM EDT  
eaglewoman

Left thumb upWell, I may have spoken too soon about the adults not being in the Family Tree~we spotted Patriot there last night(Monday) and Liberty was there tonite(Tuesday).
Liberty was a bit hard to see, hidden behind some leaves, but I took a few pics through my spotting scope, and a little video, too.
Click on image to download

Here's the link to the video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjVqY2amI4M

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Thursday, July 01 2010 @ 01:39 PM EDT  
eaglewoman

Thursday morning 10:35 a.m.
The eaglets are sticking close to the nest, waiting for those food drop-offs! With the 4th of July coming up on Sunday, I hope that they start heading up or down river a ways. The fireworks take place fairly close to the nest area at the Redding Convention Center, but they seemed ok last year when we had these same concerns.

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Sunday, July 04 2010 @ 01:03 AM EDT  
eaglewoman

wave Hi there!
I'm not sure if anyone is still reading these posts, but for the next few weeks I will still be posting my pics that I take when I get a chance to check the nest area and the "Family Tree" area.
Tonite, for the first time this year, I found one of the eaglets(fledglings) in the Family Tree!!! It didn't stay for too long, but I was able to snap a few pics before it flew off toward the nest tree. I also saw one of the other eaglets flying in that direction just after this one flew. There was a bit of calling going on with the one in the family tree, so maybe it was calling to the other eaglet?

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: itsgrama (offline) on Sunday, July 04 2010 @ 02:18 AM EDT  
itsgrama

I am always checking in here for news of our family. Thank you for posting. Your pics are always a joy to view.Titter I will be missing those babies. Would be nice to see a family reunion at the nest, would be a bit crowded I imagine with this years triplets, last years triplets and of course the twins and mom and pop.........yes I am a dreamergiggle

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: Eagle Eye () on Sunday, July 04 2010 @ 12:28 PM EDT  
Anonymous: Eagle Eye

wavewave Eaglewoman, of course we are reading your posts and look forward to doing so. So glad you found the eaglet in the family tree. We should be seeing more of them, down there now--if they follow in last year's eaglets flightsteps.

My plan is to check them out Wednesday after lunch.

Thanks for all your posts, photos, and videos, eaglewoman.

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Sunday, July 04 2010 @ 03:04 PM EDT  
eaglewoman

Thank You itsgrama and Eagle Eye! I was beginning to think that I was just talking to myself!TitterTitterTitter

The Editor of our local newspaper, Silas Lyons, paid a special tribute to our beloved pair of eagles in his editorial this morning. Here's a link for you..
Scroll down to the headline: "Bald and Beautiful"...

http://www.redding.com/news/2010/jul/04 ... interests/

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Tuesday, July 06 2010 @ 04:01 PM EDT  
eaglewoman

wave Hey Gang!
I checked on the eaglets and eagles last night around 8:30 pm and could definitely hear the eaglets calling from the nest tree area, but couldn't quite pick them out. It's tough with all of those leaves on the trees to find them! It reminds me of the old "Where's Waldo" books!!!

Slightly off topic, but we found a new eagle's nest out at Whiskeytown Lake that has one eaglet in it. We spotted it a few weeks ago, and have been checking on it regularly. The lone eaglet must be a bit younger than the Turtle Bay eagles because we have yet to see it even stretch out or flap it's wings.
I started thinking about lone eaglets a bit and wondered if the adults tend to spend more time with them during fledging than when there are 2 or more eaglets? Kind of like an only child who requires more attention?
We found one of the adults, looks like it may be Mom, just looking at the size of the bird, sitting right by "Jr." on Monday.
Here are some pics I took from our boat, a little shaky on a boat, but I did my best!Titter

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:42 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate