Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 CalTrans Eagle Cam, Turtle Bay, CA - Bald Eagle Cam - 2010
 |  Printable Version
By: eaglewoman (offline) on Sunday, May 30 2010 @ 06:27 PM EDT  
eaglewoman

Went down there last night around 7:30 pm and found Mom & Dad in the "family tree" taking a nice long break. Took some shots of them despite the lighting, and heard some nice calling, too!love
I will attempt to get down there a bit more often these next few weeks now that school is almost over for the year!
The river is up right now, increased flows out of Lake Shasta, so the fly fisherman have moved out of the family tree cove and the eagles have one of their favorite roosting spots back~yippeee!
Click on image to download

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Monday, May 31 2010 @ 02:57 AM EDT  
eaglewoman

No sign of Pat & Libby tonite, I was down there around 7:45 pm. I was trying to get some shots of the eaglets in the nest, but the lighting wasn't real good. The area where I set up my scope is now almost a swamp due to the high flows in the river. As I was setting up my scope a pair of wood ducks flew out, but I spotted a pair nearby that had stayed and I had to take a pic.
What a gorgeous bird that male wood duck is! They are really skittish, though, so it is really hard to get a close-up photo of them...

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: Eagle Eye () on Tuesday, June 01 2010 @ 11:23 PM EDT  
Anonymous: Eagle Eye

Beautiful wood duck and nice photos of our eagles, eaglewoman.

Glad to hear from you mykitters and JudyB.

Is it going to stop raining by the 16th, eaglewoman? Rain was never a consideration last year.

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Wednesday, June 02 2010 @ 02:29 AM EDT  
eaglewoman

Thank You Eagle Eye!
Of course it will be be hot & dry by the 16th!

Caltrans switched to the old camera this morning and was wanting feedback on the view today? I didn't get a chance to check it at all today, so I'm not sure how it looked?
I believe that there is an issue with cobwebs on the old camera which distorts the image, and they are not sure if folks want to stick with the close-up camera we had, or go with the wide view with the cobwebs and distorted view?

Any feedback from anyone who was watching today would be helpful!Left thumb up

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Wednesday, June 02 2010 @ 12:32 PM EDT  
eaglewoman

Denise from Caltrans says they will probably stick with the wide angle view with the webs as of this morning...

JudyB~just wondering if it would be a safe time to send a tree climber up there to clean off the lens? I'm sure this has happened at other Hancock eaglecams?
Of course, I wouldn't risk anything that wasn't absolutely necessary, or that may upset the eaglets or adults. Just wondering what Hancock would do in this case?:dunno:

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, June 02 2010 @ 02:46 PM EDT  
JudyB

Good question, eaglewoman. I don't know how close the camera is to the nest, and that might be a factor. While I can't speak for David Hancock, it's my impression that he would not touch a cam in the nest tree itself while the eagles were in the area - he's said a number of times that he does not believe in interfering with an active nest in any fashion. I believe he said that Richard could make repairs on the original cam at Lafarge once the eaglet was old enough to be alone for a brief period. I'm not sure how far that cam is from the nest, and the fact that we now have a second cam at Lafarge made it a non-issue (and that cam is farther from the nest and accessible from one of the buildings on the site, should it need repairs).

It looks as if Peace will be 10 weeks old tomorrow. I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but it's my personal opinion that it might be risky approaching the nest at this point. I haven't been watching lately, but if the older eaglets have started serious flapping across the nest, they might try to fly if they felt threatened. Again, I'd think it would depend how close the cam was to the nest.

I'm sorry I don't have a more definitive answer, but perhaps that will give you some questions to ask Denise.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Wednesday, June 02 2010 @ 07:58 PM EDT  
eaglewoman

No, that's a great answer JudyB! All I needed to hear was that it could potentially pose a threat to the eaglets, and my decision was made! Nothing is more important than their safety and well-being!

We can still see through the cobwebs and watch them flapping those huge, beautiful wings~an awesome sight!lovelovelove
Here are some scaps from this evening through the cobwebs...

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, June 02 2010 @ 10:29 PM EDT  
JudyB

Great pics, eaglewoman - I looked for a little while, and all they did was lie there, three little lumplets in a row. Cool

It does seem that this will be better even with the cobwebs - the other view won't really give us any clue where they are once they start to branch, and while you all provide great coverage, you can't be there all the time (or can you, she asks hopefully?).

More seriously - you've all been getting some great pictures lately, and I apologize for not mentioning how wonderful it was to see another perspective on the rapidly growing eaglets (not to mention the lovely ducks!) - but was answering in a hurry.

Thank you all for your contributions to this thread - it really does provide a great overview of the nest! Grin

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:09 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate