https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 CalTrans Eagle Cam, Turtle Bay, CA - Bald Eagle Cam - 2010
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, April 13 2010 @ 09:14 PM EDT  
JudyB

Oh my - they're past the age where the youngest is usually in danger - but I guess nothing is ever certain. Justice was two weeks old yesterday, and the others are only a couple of days older. I will try to keep an eye on this nest tomorrow - and hopefully that was a one-time thing. Sad

Has there been a reasonable amount of food brought to the nest? If something's happening that's making it harder for Dad to find food, that will indeed upset the balance in the nest.

Sending good thoughts to little Justice - and to the eagle family and all those who watch the nest. love

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Tuesday, April 13 2010 @ 10:10 PM EDT  
Anonymous: CAL04

Hopefully there is not a food issue at the nest. While watching the last of a feeding this evening the parent's body blocked a good view of who was getting fed or if there was rivalry. Liberty (?) ended the feeding and went from 6 to 12. Little Justice followed her and took a couple pecks from a sibling but did not go down as far as I could tell.

6:31 pm,
Justice on tippy-toes hopes for food (or more food) after parent changed position 180 degrees.
Click on image to download

Shasta (?) poo-shot. Grin

By: Anonymous: Eagle Eye () on Tuesday, April 13 2010 @ 11:27 PM EDT  
Anonymous: Eagle Eye

Oh my goodness, eaglewoman. I sure hope Justice will be OK. I am watching now, about 8:05PM, and one of the eaglets just started pecking at the one beside it. The "victim" of the pecks quickly tucked itself under Liberty's chest. The "assailant" then just layed down. Liberty moved a little toward the third eaglet. A couple minutes later the same "assailant" gave the same "victim" another rapid peck on its head. The "victim" again went into a tuck position, although Liberty's chest was no longer an available cover. The "assailant" just layed down again and they both rested, side by side. The "victim" eaglet appears to be OK. The two involved eaglets have the same coloring. The third eaglet is over by Liberty. I can't really see it, but it is my guess that the uninvolved eaglet is Justice. The cam shut off a few minutes after this incident.

Welcome to the CalTrans site Mary F-purpleagle! Thanks for the info on Reese F Lukei Jr. I did not know who he was, but thought the info was informational and a good refresher.

By: soph9 (offline) on Tuesday, April 13 2010 @ 11:32 PM EDT  
soph9

so many nest so little time...awesome reports and s'caps guys!Thank You

Forum

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Wednesday, April 14 2010 @ 02:06 AM EDT  
eaglewoman

Thanks for your concern JudyB, and your valuable input!
It sounds like the upset at the nest may be due to the unsettled, and unseasonably cold and wet weather we have been experiencing here the last 2 weeks. It seems as if Mom & Dad have been spending a lot of time keeping the babies underneath them to shield them from the weather, which would mean less time hunting for food and less feedings for the little ones. And, the Sacramento River is looking mighty brown these days from all of the runoff, so I'm not sure if that has been a factor for the adults in finding fish?

So possibly the increased aggression the past few days has been due to hunger?

I'm just glad I didn't witness the aggressive behavior myself, it sounded pretty upsetting from those who did!
I took a few scaps of a feeding around 5:45 and there was a little pecking between Shasta & Peace, but both of them got plenty of food! Little Justice got some food at the end of the feeding, and stayed out of the peckfest!

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Wednesday, April 14 2010 @ 02:09 AM EDT  
eaglewoman

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: Eagle Eye () on Wednesday, April 14 2010 @ 10:14 AM EDT  

There are three eaglets standing up in the nest this morning and two partial fish nearby! Whistling Hopefully all three got plenty to eat this morning.

By: Anonymous: Eagle Eye () on Wednesday, April 14 2010 @ 11:39 AM EDT  

Liberty just ate both of the fish that were in the nest. Someone is watching and zoomed in the camera when she was done. She walked around the nest and gave what looked like a loving peck at Justice then she carefully stood on top of Justice and sat down on top of her/him. It looked very deliberate that Liberty was taking care of her youngest eaglet. The older two eaglets are in front of Liberty in a blob of fluff.

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:21 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate