Click on image to download

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, January 25 2010 @ 09:00 PM EST  
JudyB

Quote by: eaglewoman

1) As I was watching the eagles yesterday, it was obvious that Liberty was being very protective of her food, and became aggressive toward Patriot when he tried to join in on the meal. Is this a common occurrence for the female as they get closer to egg laying time?

I think it is part of the male's "job" to prove that he'll be able to provide for chicks before the female is interested in mating. Upon reflection, I don't remember many female eagles sharing meals at any time (with the male, I mean - they do quite willingly give everything to the chicks, at risk to their own health on occasion). But I do think providing food is part of the mating ritual.

One thing I hadn't noticed before - just before the Blackwater female laid her first egg, the male delivered a nice fish to the nest. Humanizing a bit, but I wonder if he knew she had some hard work ahead and was helping her prepare.

Quote by: eaglewoman

2) I don't want to panic anyone, but as I was watching through my spotting scope last week, I noticed that one of the main branches supporting the nest(to the right of the "Victory Branch"Wink appears to be rotting and decomposing. I saw what I think was fungus growing on the branch, and the branch clearly looks like it is dying.(You can see that from the eaglecam, too.)
Has this ever happened at any of the nests you watch? Are the eagles able to re-build the nest using other branches for support?

Not a clue, eaglewoman. If the possible damage is above the nest, I'd think it would be OK for a while. But that's only a guess.

Karenbills should be back online full time soon - if you can get some pictures from whatever perspectives you can get to safely, maybe David will be able to comment.

Most of the nests I watch seem to hang in there even though some of the trees seem a bit endangered - but we did see the Barton Cove tree go down, fortunately after the eaglet had fledged, so I know that there are exceptions.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Tuesday, January 26 2010 @ 06:54 PM EST  
Anonymous: CAL04

Have been watching Patriot and Liberty on the nest/tree for about 15 minutes now. Clapping

By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Wednesday, January 27 2010 @ 03:06 AM EST  

26 Jan 2010, Two long videos from this afternoon:

3:38 p.m - 3:48 p.m. PST, 26 Jan 2010: Patriot sits on the Victory branch looking quite dapper as supple Liberty flies onto the nest. They spend some quality time together on the branch; Patriot flies off and then returns to prepare the nursery.
Patriot and Liberty I

4:19 p.m. - 4:29 p.m. PST, 26 Jan 2010: Tree limb in question gets a workover again..
Patriot and Liberty II

By: Anonymous: putytatt () on Wednesday, January 27 2010 @ 12:11 PM EST  
Anonymous: putytatt

They're home now. Patriot was on the branch waiting for Liberty to finalize the placement of his last twig in its final nest restoration place. Just when she relaxed, he flew off the branch and was gone for about a minute. He brought back another twig and they are finding just the right place for this new one.

Don't they get dizzy going around in circles trying to find just the right place for these twigs and sticks?

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Wednesday, January 27 2010 @ 12:31 PM EST  
eaglewoman

Clapping Great videos CAL04! What exactly do you think Liberty is doing with that branch? I don't remember her doing that last year?
I was down there last night right after your videos, around 4:30 or so, and right when we got down there we heard them calling and then they started mating on the Victory Branch.
I also watched them almost all morning yesterday with my students, lots of nestoration going on right now! I guess now that the sun made an appearance they decided they better get busy!
Here are a few shots from yesterday evening(my closer trail is under water so these are from the paved trail, a little farther away)....
eaglewoman

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Wednesday, January 27 2010 @ 02:09 PM EST  
eaglewoman

wave Lots of nestorations Wednesday morning...
eaglewoman

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Wednesday, January 27 2010 @ 06:00 PM EST  

wave

2:50 p.m.,
The nest is empty but looking great!

Thank you eaglewoman, So nice to see them in the wild!
Knowing that I have much to learn, I can only think of 2 reasons that eagles might chew a branch: To sharpen their beaks and/or to get to a food supply.

Yesterday I was going to watch the feedng of the penguins at 3:30 p.m. but Liberty and Patriot had other plans for me. Will check on them again today before I look-in on the penguins.

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:41 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate