The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Eagle Cams Outside North America
 Lesser Spotted Eagles (Eha+Koit) Estonia-2013-2014
 |  Printable Version
By: elfjune (offline) on Saturday, June 15 2013 @ 02:49 AM EDT  
elfjune

June 15, 2013

8:59 am Baby got another feeding.

Click on image to download

9:26 am I thought Eha was rolling the egg.

9:27 am But what she was doing was eating the egg shell and some other red stuff from inside the egg. She was very careful to keep her claws curled and she eventually settled down on the newly hatched baby. I didn't think they helped the babies hatch. Was holding my breath thinking she was eating the baby. She reminded me of a mother lion eating the cub's placenta.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: elfjune (offline) on Saturday, June 15 2013 @ 03:08 AM EDT  
elfjune

June 15, 2013

9:58 am Eha got up and was fussing with the nest material around 2nd baby. Could see baby moving. Eha actually got the other half of the shell off baby and took it to the side of the nest to eat. She then brought the egg shell back with her and kept fussing with the nesting material around baby 2 before finally settling down. Baby 1 slept through this.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: mia (offline) on Saturday, June 15 2013 @ 03:28 PM EDT  
mia

Oh, I donīt know what to say. Congratulations?! :dunno:
Last year there was luckily just one chick in both LSE nests in Estonia. Latviaīs LSE nest had 2 chicks, but I skipped that part when the chicks started to fight and returned to watch when the younger one was deceased.
This year I decided to watch "for better and for worse". And itīs been emotionally hard to watch Latviaīs nest again with 2 chicks. And now this... Sad Iīm hoping for a miracle, but I will also try to accept the nature. It wonīt be easy, but eventually seeing the eaglet becoming a beautiful and strong eaglet will ease the pain.

21.50 The chicks were alone when Eha was looking for a new stick for the nest. So far I havenīt seen any bonking.

Forum

Helsinki, Finland

Profile Email   PM

By: elfjune (offline) on Saturday, June 15 2013 @ 04:32 PM EDT  
elfjune

Hi mia! :hello: I know what you mean about not knowing whether to be happy or sad. But I too have decided to watch nature unfold, for better or worse.

I noticed from the Looduskalender site that both eaglets were fed around 7:40 pm or so. Some were dismayed at the lack of food that eaglet 2 got but eaglet 2 just hatched in the morning so he would not be that hungry. Eaglet 1 wasn't that hungry. He still does not seem to be a piggy.

June 15, 2013

A pic as the sun was going down and reflecting off of Eha. 9:28 pm

9:51 pm when Eha had flown off, eaglet 1 yawned.

9:53 pm here you can see both eaglets.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: elfjune (offline) on Saturday, June 15 2013 @ 05:05 PM EDT  
elfjune

June 15, 2013

9:53 pm Eha returned with a branch, which she plopped on the eaglets and then moved around on the nest. Eaglet 2 was peeping away and Eaglet 1 decided to take a snooze. Eha wasn't concerned although she did 'air feed' Eaglet 2- she bent towards him as if offering food but there was nothing in her beak. (I was too busy staring to take a scap.) In fact, not sure there is any food in the pantry right now. She later decided to preen Eaglet 2 before settling down on both.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: elfjune (offline) on Sunday, June 16 2013 @ 02:38 AM EDT  
elfjune

June 16, 2013

Eha was sleeping, for the most part in the morning as there wasn't much else to do without any food. She did get up to preen for a little.

Will add more later. Having trouble posting.

6:02 am Babies were peeping and Eha was looking at them.

Around 6:20 am or so Eha got up to preen and there was some neck stretching between 1 and 2 and 1 grabbed 2's beak but 2 did not back down. After more 'my neck is longer then your neck' wobbling, Eha finally went back to preen 2's head and look at both babies and then to settle down on them.

Koit brought food before 8:10 am because Eha was feeding 2 with something and then feeding 1, even though 1 was dozing. She tapped him on the head. He was lunging towards food but he isn't very coordinated. Koit brought what looked like a frog around 8: 20 am.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: mia (offline) on Sunday, June 16 2013 @ 09:08 AM EDT  
mia

15.56 It has been raining. The chicks are beeping for food, but the pantry looks empty. The older chick is bullying the younger one.

Forum

Helsinki, Finland

Profile Email   PM

By: mia (offline) on Sunday, June 16 2013 @ 12:42 PM EDT  
mia

17.44 Eha left.
17.49 And she returned with a prey (bird). She started to feed. I think only older one got food.
18.10 Same prey in her beak.

Forum

Helsinki, Finland

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:58 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate