You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Welcome to the Forum! > Technical Help
 Apple User Support
 |  Printable Version
By: IrishEyes (offline) on Friday, December 16 2011 @ 04:40 PM EST  
IrishEyes

Quote by: JudyB

The sound does work fine on PCs - so I actually think you're right, Bev, that it is partly some setting on Apple computers - though they must also be streaming the sound in a somewhat unusual fashion, because most flash-based cams work fine, it seems.

Charlie is going to be away this evening, so I'll see if I can find anything to try using his Mac - I've found a couple of unlikely possible solutions, but they seem odd enough that I want to give it a try before suggesting them.

THank you Judy B.. the strange part of all this .. is that i could get the sound before NCTC serviced the cam a few weeks ago... so that is why i think jkr 's comments are right about the way NCTC set up the cam when they serviced it.....

I look forward to all the help i can get...

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, December 16 2011 @ 05:54 PM EST  
JudyB

Well, I tried playing the theme from Star Wars in GarageBand (actually, I played the first line from Somewhere Over the Rainbow - I don't know the notes for the Star Wars theme off the top of my head) - one of the things that worked for some people was playing a tune in GarageBand (that was from a couple of years ago - but everyone who posted said it was very strange - but did work back in 2007). I made sure everything was 44 or 48 MHz and hadn't defaulted to 96. I made sure every option I could find was on and set to what seemed a respectable level. Through it all, I could hear the wind at Delta OWL - and not a trace of the hum - or the geese - from NCTC.

I didn't really expect that I'd be able to find anything if the two of you didn't - and am now positive that Macs are fussier about some little setting somewhere - but have no clue what it is or where to find it. Clearly the best solution would be for NCTC to have a slightly more standard signal so we wouldn't have to look for tweaks - but it may take a while for them to figure what changed, if they have time to look.

Do you know if any of the people from the Shepherdstown Blog group use Macs? Maybe they've found a solution.

I will note that I did try watching the cam using Firefox on my PC, and had sound - so Firefox isn't the issue. I only used Safari while testing Charlie's computer, and didn't want to give him a second browser he didn't need since you've both already tested that variable.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that someone will come up with something.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Friday, December 16 2011 @ 06:34 PM EST  
IrishEyes

Thanks Judy B... I really think something went wrong when the cam was serviced.. i was in touch with Paula on the SECD Blog and it was her who suggested that i contact the

webmaster@outdoorchannel.com..

I did that and they were very helpful but didn't have an answer as to why i was not getting the sound.. they knew i had a Mac.. I did write them again this afternoon and maybe i won't hear now until Monday..

I will write Paula again and ask her if she knows if any of the members on the SECD Blog have Mac's and if they are getting sound... i am not a member there..

I am becoming a nuisance.. although no one has ever made me feel that way..

Thanks again.. Have a good evening..hug

Bev....

eta

I will keep you all posted if i find anything out..

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, December 16 2011 @ 07:25 PM EST  
JudyB

Anyone who puts in the time to try to figure out why something isn't working the way it should is never a nuisance, Bev! I'm looking forward to the part where we add a post here and/or in Helpful Hints saying that Mac users who have an issue with sound should try this fix - with a big thanks to all who helped figure what it was!

I know it will happen - just don't know when.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Saturday, December 17 2011 @ 09:53 AM EST  
IrishEyes

Thank you Judy B... I too think we will find a solution to this problem.. nothing ventured .. nothing gained ..right!

I heard from the Web Master of the WVa out door channel...

Hi Beverley

I don't know why you're not hearing audio on your Mac. I have a Mac and PC and I hear it on both. We have others in our office and it's fine for them as well. So, I don't know what's going on. Sorry.

What browser do you use? I use, predominantly, Firefox, Safari, Chrome and Opera on the Mac.

Thanks.

Webmaster
Outdoor Channel

In addition.. i also heard from Paula.. she is going to check with the members of the SEDC Blog and get back to me....

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: jkr (offline) on Saturday, December 17 2011 @ 10:02 AM EST  
jkr

Bev, thanks for the update. I find it so unusual that they aren't having issues with the sound but we are.

What version of Mac OS are you running (it will say in a menu that pops up when you click on the upper left "apple"Wink
I have version 10.6.8 on my Macbook and version 10.4.11 on my old iMac --- neither pick up the sound from the WVa camera.
I haven't switched to Mac Lion 10.7 because it's not compatible with my most important software and I'm waiting for the updated versions of those before I switch.

I wonder if people running Lion are having issues as well ?

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Saturday, December 17 2011 @ 10:18 AM EST  
IrishEyes

Good MOrning Judy jkr... You are welcome..

Here it is
Click on image to download

I am afraid to try too much as i don't want to lose what i have.....Sad

eta

Judyjkr and Judy B this being the week end and you are probably of .. please don't spend too much time on this.. it can wait until after the holiday season..hug

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: jkr (offline) on Saturday, December 17 2011 @ 10:31 AM EST  
jkr

Interesting that 3 different Mac operating systems are having the same issue for that one camera.

I went through everything in my Mac and there is absolutely nothing left to adjust. I've even gone as far as checking two different Adobe Flashplayer versions and it hasn't made a difference.

Now I'm really curious to find out why this is. It makes me wonder if there is something in their broadcast signal not making it to our IP's.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:47 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate