The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > Welcome to the Forum! > Technical Help
 PC Windows Users Support
 |  Printable Version
By: terrytvgal (offline) on Friday, May 04 2012 @ 07:06 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

Quote by: terrytvgal

Help... I am getting pretty desperate to try and get this old clunker PC working better (XP Pro; IE8) My service provider offers an anti-viral package (McAffee) which I am told is uses more room than the previous anti-viral they used... ANY WAY It has a 'clean up' program that it says could make my PC faster. I have included a s'cap of what it says below... I'm dying to try it but I'm afraid in case it somehow could make my situation worse... any feedback to help me understand what to expect if I use this would be a great help. Thanks!!

I did it. I'm not sure that it has made a noticable impact especially to my online experience but, like deciding to clean out that kitchen drawer that has all that junk in it that you never use anyway, I at least know it's a clean junk drawer.

I ran it as configured in the s'cap above JudyB's post and it got rid of around 3,000 items. After that, I unchecked the checked boxes and checked the Registy box. That deleted just under 60 items. In each case there were a few things that could not be deleted.

The reason I did the registry as well is because gemini told me abut a program called "Little Registry Cleaner" that Ken suggested to her to improve the performance of her PC. I tried to install in (Thanks SO much Sharon for your kind patience ) but it wanted to install something called .net 4. Which made me uneasy... back later for part 2. feeding time at lafarge!!

OK ".net4" -- turns out, after some thinking and checking and googling, that the ".net" stuff is part of the basic backbone of the operating system you have installed. (As far as I can figure out -- If I'm wrong Please Speak Up and correct me.) Anyway I seem to have ".net2" in this system, and I was unsure if it would tolerate upgrading to .net4. Because Ken recommended to clean the registry to improve performance I decided to do so with the McAffe program.

I'm here and so far as I can tell nothing has gone wonky since I summoned up the nerve to try these programs. If I discover any issues, I'll post here

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: Anonymous: Songhee () on Saturday, May 05 2012 @ 05:28 PM EDT  
Anonymous: Songhee

Whenever I try to access a camera pic, the picture comes up on my computer but in 2 seconds freezes. As soon as I click on the arrow to access the camera, the computer starts to "labour", fan comes on, goes off when I leave the picture. The only thing new is that I used Ccleaner to tidy up the hard drive. Any suggestions?

By: Anonymous: Songhee () on Saturday, May 05 2012 @ 05:44 PM EDT  
Anonymous: Songhee

I ran the Ccleaner again and it is working now. Sorry for the report.

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Wednesday, May 09 2012 @ 12:37 AM EDT  
terrytvgal

In my on going quest for improved internet performance, yesterday I opened the Firefox web browser I have installed. As expected it prompted me to do some updates and I let it do so. I have no idea what they were but they took only seconds and I was gaining confidence that maybe what I'd been hearing about firefox being so much better than IE was true, even with this old system I have. At about 9PM Monday evening it popped up another update notice. I let it do its thing... and almost 12 hours later it was still trying to do what ever it was trying to do. I took this s'cap before I closed out the update.

Click on image to download

It shut down with no trouble... this afternoon I again opened Firefox wanting to see what version I have installed. Here is the s'cap showing the details..

Can someone tell me what version is currently being used? I am thinking that I want to update to the newest version but I don't know if I should uninstall what I currently have and start from scratch or just let it install over the version I now have. What I do know is that I don't want to waste another 12 hours trying to install a program that is supposed to be better than what I already have only to have it crash my system or whatever...

Any feed back appreciated.

Thanks,

Terry

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: nightowl (offline) on Wednesday, May 09 2012 @ 01:19 AM EDT  
nightowl

After searching (you guys know I'm a bit computer challenged) I found which version of Firefox I have on my computer. This version was installed on my computer on Feb. 11, 2011, so I don't know if there's an updated version yet or not. I think that's the one I have in the red rectangle. I don't know if this helps you or not Terry.

ETA...

Just in case it makes a difference, I have Windows 7 on this thang.

ETA again...

Well DUH! It says right below the bright orange 'Firefox' which version it is. Oh boy...told ya I was challenged. Roll eyes

Terry, I've been using Google Chrome and it's way faster than IE also. If you think your computer can handle it, you might give it a try.

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, May 09 2012 @ 11:19 AM EDT  
JudyB

I have Firefox 12.0. I'm not sure if it works with Windows XP, but found the requirements for Firefox 11.0 and that does.

I suspect that you may want to uninstall the version of Firefox you have now, Terry, then install a current version of Firefox - there may be too many intermediate updates it needs to install to go from what you have now to the newest version.

Update - found the right page to check - Firefox 12 is compatible with Windows XP, service pac 3, and one of the people on the support forum upgraded from either 3.5 or 3.6 to 12 with no problem, so I guess you might want to try updating again, before doing an uninstall/reinstall.

Good luck!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Wednesday, May 09 2012 @ 05:31 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

Thank you, Nightowl and JudyB. Seems like a big gap between Nightowl's 3.6 and your 12, JudyB Puzzled I will continue to google and read and will let you all know what I decide to do.

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: mollykatesmom (offline) on Thursday, May 24 2012 @ 12:07 AM EDT  
mollykatesmom

Hello....Please don't hand me my head I'm sorry! First of all I'm on a Mac. I went to the Mac discussion page but not much is there. Question.... are we still supposed to not update to the latest version of Adobe Flash player? I had updated to the version 14..... and immediately the cam froze I found on here thank you that it didn't work and to uninstall and revert back to the previous 13.... version which I did and it worked. But I keep getting the black screen and the buffer loading problem and I keep getting a pop up window about the plug ins.
Do I stay with version 13...... or has the issue been fixed so I can update to version 14.....?

Thank you so much. I hate that black screen especially when it makes me miss the WR sunsets
Bash computer

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:26 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate