You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Welcome to the Forum! > Technical Help
 Report Cams Down and Forum Errors
 |  Printable Version
By: richardpitt (offline) on Tuesday, April 05 2011 @ 02:45 PM EDT  
richardpitt

The maximum file size has been reduced from 2.5Megs to 512K

People posting PNGs either have to figure out how to compress them to something close to what they can do with JPG, or change to posting smaller images or JPGs.

The problem is - even the thumbnails the system creates from PNGs are huge - 1.5 Megs I saw yesterday for some of them - and this is one of the major reasons why loading some of the forum pages is so slow.

The forum is NOT a good place to put large numbers of huge images (or any other file for that matter) as we have no control over converting/keeping them, unlike the options in the Media Gallery - where we have the option of saving the original or not, converting it to JPG and setting max sizes that can allow us to better control basic transfer.

With many postings on a page each having several huge images, the system almost fell over on Sunday about 2:30PM - tied up trying to deliver to a couple of people with slow connections. I happened to be monitoring it and managed to restart the web server - but the load had grown from its typical 2-3 to over 100 (processes waiting) and every outbound apache process was in "wait" mode (as in waiting to finish delivering the contents of a page)

The problem with the system is not the original files so much as what the system can and does do to create the thumbnails which are what actually loads each page load. The originals only load if you click on the thumbnail - and so only one at a time per user is typically being loaded.

The system creates thumbnails but only of the same type as the original - PNG -> PNG or JPG -> JPG etc. and the major problem is the PNGs since they simply don't compress as much as the JPGs do.

The system only stores the original file name (with the PNG or JPG extension) so when it gets the thumbnail, the file name has to match (it looks in a different directory, that's all)

So, to eliminate huge PNG files in the thumbnail area I restricted the inbound files to max 512K

The option is to disallow PNG files totally and allow larger originals again since the JPG thumbnails are smaller by far and won't cause the problem that the PNG thumbnails of huge files does.

The only other alternative is to cut back (again - was 25, now is 15) the number of postings per page we show - but that still will cause problems as even 5 postings each with 5 huge files will be 5X5X1.5Megs (per thumbnail) = 32.5+ Megs just to view the images on the page - not counting smilies, and other images, etc.

IMHO big image files should be put in the media gallery. There is NO place in the forum for large image files. Screen captures of the stream should never be any larger than about 50K in size, otherwise it simply shows that people are doing it wrong. There isn't more than 50K of information in a single frame from the streams. If they have the stream at full screen, they're simply duplicating huge amounts of identical pixels - not getting any better "resolution"

I got caught up in something else yesterday and have not posted in the tech forum to explain this - anyone want to grab some of what is in this post and do it? I may not get to it until later today.

richard

Executive Director:
Taking HWF to the next level

Forum Admin
Admin

Pitt Meadows BC -
40k from Vancouver

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, April 05 2011 @ 03:04 PM EDT  
JudyB

Thanks for the explanation, Richard.

A question - the first picture of the three above is 150 KB - so why doesn't it appear? I think my middle one is under 512 - though the third is bigger.

Is the limit 512K per picture or per post?

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: richardpitt (offline) on Tuesday, April 05 2011 @ 03:10 PM EDT  
richardpitt

Quote by: JudyB

A question - the first picture of the three above is 150 KB - so why doesn't it appear? I think my middle one is under 512 - though the third is bigger.

The limit (as far as I know) is per picture

somehow there were some PNGs that were as large as 6Mb in the area - don't know how they got there unless there is some other problem with the system's figuring out image sizes.

Executive Director:

Forum Admin
Admin

Pitt Meadows BC -
40k from Vancouver

Profile Email Website PM

By: richardpitt (offline) on Tuesday, April 05 2011 @ 03:16 PM EDT  
richardpitt

I can't figure out why your thumbnails didn't get created and show up here. No PNG thumbnails have been created since about 10:30AM yesterday.

Strange - will look into it farther.

richard

Executive Director:

Forum Admin
Admin

Pitt Meadows BC -
40k from Vancouver

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, April 06 2011 @ 10:00 AM EDT  
JudyB

Delta WA is down - we'll try to get it restarted soon.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Pat B (offline) on Wednesday, April 06 2011 @ 10:56 AM EDT  
Pat B

Delta WA is down - we'll try to get it restarted soon.

OK now

Forum

Plymouth, England

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, April 06 2011 @ 12:25 PM EDT  
JudyB

I think both Delta OWL cams are down - usually more a problem on very windy days, but perhaps it's windier than it seems.

Will try to restart them in a few minutes unless Pat gets there first!

update - both now streaming.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: pudzzy1 () on Thursday, April 07 2011 @ 02:12 PM EDT  
Anonymous: pudzzy1

Hello I am New here so not sure where to post this. The Lafarge nest 2 times in the last weeks have had large pieces of plactic blown into the nest This could wrap around the eagles as it did last week Around moms neck .
Wonder if someone could speak to the people at the Lafarge plant to be carefull of leaving loose plasic lying around OTHER PICTURES ON NEXT PAGE as you can see the plasic is around the neck

Sorry I have not learned to do 3 pictures together yet [Click on image to download

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:16 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate