Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Welcome to the Forum! > Technical Help
 Report Cams Down and Forum Errors
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, February 04 2011 @ 09:36 AM EST  
JudyB

Thanks, Richard - great to see them again!

Speaking just for me (and knowing that I'm not going to be watching as much as Terry and some other folks), I'd like to suggest half of the time on the nest as that will be a useful view when they're working on it (not to mention being a priority for Karen and likely David Smile ) - and the other half divided between the whole tree view and your circuit of places they seem to perch. Not sure what's possible or practical, but I think more time on the whole tree view than on any other stop on the circuit, but not necessarily as much as 1/4 of the time there. If that makes sense.

I know the White Rock pair are spending time perched in their tree but not in the nest, and am guessing that's likely here as well.

Other suggestions?

And did they have any idea when/if the second cam at Lafarge might be up and running? Thanks!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: richardpitt (offline) on Friday, February 04 2011 @ 11:09 AM EST  
richardpitt

I have no direct information on what is happening with the new camera. This is in their hands as we can't work on the site due to insurance and other rules.

The problem is that if something needs to be done near the top of the feeding tower, where the radio is, then it probably should not be done until after fledging time (David would be the resource on that)

When I was there yesterday I didn't see the birds at all, but most of the time I was in the office with my head in the cupboard where the computer is.

As for moving the camera - I can set it to either fixed or random schedule just as easily. 5 minutes does the trick unless new way-points need to be added - but I don't think we need any at this time.

richard

Executive Director:
Taking HWF to the next level

Forum Admin
Admin

Pitt Meadows BC -
40k from Vancouver

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, February 04 2011 @ 11:41 AM EST  
JudyB

Thanks, Richard - am enjoying the view of the area as the cam goes through its cycle!

I knew the folks at Lafarge were overseeing the new cam - but knowing you were there yesterday, I was hoping they'd mentioned something about their plans for it that you could pass on. Not that I know how I could watch one more cam, but.... Titter

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: richardpitt (offline) on Friday, February 04 2011 @ 01:51 PM EST  
richardpitt

Quote by: JudyB

Thanks, Richard - am enjoying the view of the area as the cam goes through its cycle!

I knew the folks at Lafarge were overseeing the new cam - but knowing you were there yesterday, I was hoping they'd mentioned something about their plans for it that you could pass on. Not that I know how I could watch one more cam, but.... Titter

The new site manager there is aware of the problem - and has had people look at it. Problem is not obvious, and since she is going to be away until the end of the month starting shortly, she's said that it won't be until March that anything gets done Sad

richard

Executive Director:

Forum Admin
Admin

Pitt Meadows BC -
40k from Vancouver

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, February 04 2011 @ 02:00 PM EST  
JudyB

Thanks, Richard! That's actually fairly good news (though of course I'd love to have it online tomorrow!) - they are interested and working on it (I've no doubt they have lots of other things on their plate), and she'll be back at least a month before the eggs would be likely to hatch if all goes well. Smile

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Friday, February 04 2011 @ 06:48 PM EST  
terrytvgal

Thanks Richard! I agree with JudyB. I'm happier to know when it may be online than to know nothing at all.

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: nightowl (offline) on Sunday, February 06 2011 @ 05:08 PM EST  
nightowl

I've been posting most of the day in Hornby with no trouble, except the normal slowness. I tried to post again and got this.

Click on image to download

Notice the URL at the top says hancockwildlife.org.

When I finally got HWF back, and tried to post again, I got that entire page of text (gobbledy gook) for the second time today.

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: richardpitt (offline) on Sunday, February 06 2011 @ 06:03 PM EST  
richardpitt

The page you got came from your own computer - and (as we all surmise) it indicates a problem getting to the site so your browser (helpfully?) showed you your cached copy instead.

As for the "page of text" - this shows that one or more of the style sheet files didn't make it to your machine in time to be correctly rendered. Again, it is an indication of the ongoing routing problems.

I know I've said this many times before - but... things are being done - it is just taking another of the people who shares these addresses far longer than we'd both expected to get off the machine in New Westminster.

The problem is - in New West size of machine is not a problem - we have a whole rack - but in our new location we have 1/4 rack and the one last machine in New West won't fit into it, even if no other machines are in it. It is HUGE (and old)

But... it is in the process of having all its content moved off to a new machine. It just takes time. I know Ed is working on it today and was Friday and yesterday too.

hopefully this week we'll have all together and then can properly get things squared away.

If it is any consolation, we've discovered other problems with addresses other than our own - the ISP really needs to go over their router setup and do some cleaning it seems.

Problem is - the price is right. Moving to another ISP would add well over $1000/month to the bill. Not an option.

richard

Executive Director:

Forum Admin
Admin

Pitt Meadows BC -
40k from Vancouver

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:03 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate