Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > Associated Web Cameras > South African Eagle Owls in Potted Plant Stand
 Spotted Eagle Owl- 2013 Season-Johannesburg
 |  Printable Version
By: MaryF (offline) on Sunday, November 29 2015 @ 02:38 PM EST  
MaryF

Pot Plant Owl

Confirmation tonight that our little chick and both parents are alive and well. As the sun set, we watched the three owls on the rooftops nearby. Very happy! Left thumb up

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Sunday, November 29 2015 @ 02:40 PM EST  
IrishEyes

Quote by: MaryF

Pot Plant Owl

Confirmation tonight that our little chick and both parents are alive and well. As the sun set, we watched the three owls on the rooftops nearby. Very happy! Left thumb up

Bravo THis is the news i was waiting to hear...... TY Mary !

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Monday, January 11 2016 @ 05:35 PM EST  
MaryF

PPO posted a trailer for a local TV show in S. Africa on FB today. I grabbed 2 stills from the video.

Mom looking into the cam Grin

Click on image to download

And here is our baby. love

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Tuesday, January 26 2016 @ 02:21 PM EST  
MaryF

I have several new things to post from PPO -- none of them good!! Cry

Pot Plant Owl

I've been putting off writing this post. After eight years, and hundreds of hours of watching, fretting, assisting, talking about and sharing 'our' owls with the world, the tide has turned.

Weeks ago, I walked into my room and saw PPO standing on the balcony railing. She let me get up closer to her as she stood - terribly thin and barely able to draw a breath. I called Allan who came up and saw her and listened to her breathing labour.

PPO flew to the neighbour's roof before we could catch her and we could still hear her struggling to draw a breath. Moments later, she flew off.

We haven't seen her since.

Pappa is in the territory, hooting alone on the rooftops. At night, I see him fly around and keep looking for a second owl. We alerted all our neighbours and have asked them to look out for PPO. Nobody has seen her.

I'm hoping - perhaps against hope - that she has somehow split from Pappa for a while (perhaps with the little chick) and she will return soon enough. If I hadn't heard her, and seen what she looked like, I would definitely be thinking this.

The ugly truth is that the longer she is away, the less likely this scenario is.

I haven't given up hope and I ask that you all don't too.

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Tuesday, January 26 2016 @ 02:25 PM EST  
MaryF

Pot Plant Owl --

Death of a Legend - We beg the people of SA not to use poisons in their gardens.

For the past 8 years we have enjoyed the privilege of watching a pair of Spotted Eagle Owls breed on a our balcony. PPO (Pot plant Owl) starred in a book, was viewed by thousands across the globe on webcam, was recently seen on Kwela (Kyknet) and received an International Award for Owl conservation in the USA. Her Facebook page is followed by 4 826 people across the world.

We believe she has succumbed to rat poisoning. We saw her last about 2 weeks ago, sitting on our balcony, thin and struggling to breath. A horrible 'cough' racked her body. The male and immature chick have visited us, but not PPO and we fear the worst.

Since then we have seen dead rats in our complex. Despite pleas to units in the complex not to use rat poison, it has clearly been used. After posting our concern on her Facebook page, we have received tearful responses from across the globe

----------------------------

PPO's answer to one poster --

Pot Plant Owl Trystan - words cannot express the gratitude we both feel in reading your words above, and learning about what you have done for owl awareness in general, and with the Spotted Eagle Owl you fly in particular. We didn't know that PPO was being spoken about even in Scotland - how lovely! I've done a lot of talks over the years and in that time, I concentrated my 'message' on how good owls are, in an effort to try and dispel superstitions around owls. I also touched on rat poisons and other such poisons but sadly, people dont listen - until something like this happens. About 20 minutes ago, we heard the little owlet chick 'hissing' and Pappa hooting at it. Then we saw both owls fly off together into the wetland to hunt. So the good news is that they are okay - thus far. I'm sharing this with you as some kind of consolation in this tragedy. I would like nothing more than for PPO's tragedy to make people sit up and think twice about poisons. We welcome your continued efforts to raise owl awareness and please share what happened with PPO to help put an end to poisons.

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Tuesday, January 26 2016 @ 02:30 PM EST  
MaryF

Pot Plant Owl

I'm not keeping up with messages pouring in on face book and email. Thank you to everyone who shared with us the PPO experience. Some good news in amongst this tragedy: We saw Pappa on a rooftop a short while ago, hooting. A minute later, their little owlet chick started 'hissing' / calling for food. We saw both of them fly together into the wetland. PPO's little one is still alive and well, and Pappa is not alone now

------------------------------------

We have needlessly lost our beloved Pot Plant Owl sad

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Tuesday, January 26 2016 @ 09:48 PM EST  
elle

I am deeply sorry for yet another tragic and easily avoidable loss.

Compassion is the most powerful weapon against negative forces.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Wednesday, January 27 2016 @ 01:24 PM EST  
sassyk

Mary thank you so much for posting this very sad news; I am in tears Cry Hanky Such a tragic and avoidable death for PPO Cry Tracy and Allan must be devastated. I know you have been very dedicated to watching the owls and posting about them here over the years. I have also been watching them but have not been as dedicated as you have been, especially in the past year because I have been away so much. Sending Big hugs to you.

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because
then you won't have a leg to stand on! ~ Author Unknown

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 01:17 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate