Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary - Enmax 2010
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, June 18 2010 @ 03:58 PM EDT  
JudyB

1:56 pm MDT

Dad has brought in a couple of sticks, and reinforced the side walls. I think there was a swap, and think Dad is on the nest now. I've also been away from my desk, so am not sure if there was an earlier swap. They still look like eggs, but the one in front might have a hole/crack at the top. Maybe.
Click on image to download

2:28 pm
Dad stood up, blocking the view of the nest bowl, and did some puttering - perhaps either turning the eggs or fluffing up the material under them. Only got a glimpse at one egg in the process. I haven't been watching steadily - but was a bit surprised that they didn't seem to be turning the eggs as often as I expect eagles to do.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: BET (offline) on Friday, June 18 2010 @ 05:11 PM EDT  
BET

3:00pm MDT

Just got back inside to see an empty nest - well the eggs were there, just no O's

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, June 18 2010 @ 05:13 PM EDT  
JudyB

3:11 pm

I looked up a couple of minutes ago to see the nest empty:

And about as soon as I'd taken that s'cap, one adult came in, closely followed by the other. And then....

Humanizing a whole lot, perhaps they think they might not find much private time for the next couple of months! Titter

Dad flew off, Mom tucked the eggs in and resumed incubating.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: BET (offline) on Friday, June 18 2010 @ 05:30 PM EDT  
BET

3:08pm MDT

While I was posting the egg image Mom flew in, landing on the nest perimeter. Dad right behind her and on top of her

Dad mates with Mom

Dad flies off

They did have a successful copulation. I captured a video clip of the action and went through it frame by frame. There was no doubt that a mating occurred

I have not seen the Osprey mate this late - after the eggs have been delivered and are ready to hatch. Saw it happen with the Hampton eagles after the eaglets hatched.

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Friday, June 18 2010 @ 06:31 PM EDT  
BET

4:21pm MDT

Dad returned to the nest. He and Mom look at the eggs for a moment. Then Mom flew off and Dad took up incubation duty

While typing this - 4:29pm - Mom returned to the nest and is fussing with the nest perimeter sticks

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: jazzel26 (offline) on Friday, June 18 2010 @ 06:52 PM EDT  
jazzel26

Quote by: BET

3:08pm MDT

While I was posting the egg image Mom flew in, landing on the nest perimeter. Dad right behind her and on top of her

Dad mates with Mom

Dad flies off

They did have a successful copulation. I captured a video clip of the action and went through it frame by frame. There was no doubt that a mating occurred

I have not seen the Osprey mate this late - after the eggs have been delivered and are ready to hatch. Saw it happen with the Hampton eagles after the eaglets hatched.

I have no idea what normal is for Eagles, or at this point Ospreys. I can say, I've never seen or read anything about ospreys mating this late in the season. In fact, as far as I know mating stops a few days after the last egg is laidPuzzled Between the WHOI nest and this one......I give up:dunno: I'm just observing and taking lots of notes!!!!

JAZZELFaintFaint

Forum

Falmouth MA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, June 18 2010 @ 10:51 PM EDT  
JudyB

I know there's some bonding that's more social that egg-creating, but like you, Jazzel, I don't know exactly when it's common behavior. Something else to track.

And just for the record - the cam is showing us an interesting view of the neighborhood - but not anything related to the nest. Sad

Hopefully they'll adjust it soon, so we can see what's happening with the osprey.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: jkr (offline) on Saturday, June 19 2010 @ 09:08 AM EDT  
jkr

SATURDAY, JUNE 19, 2010

WEATHER: Mostly Sunny High 20C

View is still on the neighbours this morning.
Being an Ex-Calgarian the first thing I noticed is how high the Bow River is running after all the days of rain and snow runoff from the mountains. It can't be easy for the O's to fish at this rate.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:35 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate