Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary - Enmax 2010
 |  Printable Version
By: BET (offline) on Friday, June 04 2010 @ 06:47 PM EDT  
BET

4:30pm MDT

Dad had been brooding for quite a while. I guess he got tired of waiting for Mom so he flew off.

Click on image to download

Mom must have been near by for within a minute she flew in from the direction of the cam and landed. Immediately adjusted the eggs and settled down

Two nice wing shots of her approach and landing.

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Friday, June 04 2010 @ 07:07 PM EDT  
BET

4:42pm MDT

Mom went on alert as an O flew in and landed

At first I thought it might be visiting Sue

No, it was Dad. Both stood - rather stiffly - like there was a bit of dissension on the home front

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Friday, June 04 2010 @ 07:11 PM EDT  
BET

Ah yes - dissension

Mom used her wings on Dad.

She also appeared to be verbalizing her displeasure with him

She made sure she had the last word as she beat him off the nest.

She then proceeded to settle down to sulk - oops - I meant brood

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Friday, June 04 2010 @ 11:08 PM EDT  
BET

8:15pm MDT

I just watched the most bizarre event that I have ever seen on this - or any - nest. I have the entire thing recorded and will sort through for the best still images to portray it.

Dad was on the nest brooding. Female flies in and both go on alert watch. Osprey seen flying over the river. Two on nest follow it as it flies over head out of cam's view. Dad goes to nest edge, female stands close to eggs.

Then the second female lands on the nest. Dad stays to the back. The female on the nest side steps and watches the newcomer warily. The female that landed assumes a head down defensive type of stance. Edges towards the eggs. The other two watch. The newly landed female moves to the side, the one on the nest moves forward. Dad stays back and watches The two females face each other. The newly landed still has head pulled down into neck while the one that was on the nest is head up - wary. The newly landed moves towards the first. Lifts her head. The two touch beaks!!!! Then both look at Dad who is leaping into the air - pogo stick style.

Now I know which female is which. I will post there head markings. The newly landed one is Mom and the first one that had arrived is - I will call her Sister Sue.

Sue stands straddling the eggs. Mom is gradually edging in towards them. Then turns moves out to the edge of the nest. Sue is looking intently at the river area as if at an intruder. All three are edgy. Dad makes a pretty wing display. Mom starts slowly working her way towards the eggs again. Sue is still standing in the middle of the nest. Sue moves a bit toward the left edge of the nest. Dad looks at her and makes with the wing display. Mom slides underneath Sue's tail and lays down on the eggs. Sue continues to watch the river and Dad makes small displays to her. Sue moves a little bit away from him. Both watch the sky. Dad does a bit of a two foot shuffle and small wing displays as he edges closer to Sue, who keeps moving away from him. Finally she reaches the front edge of the nest where she comes to a stop against brooding Mom's tail. Dad makes a big chest out display. Sue is head down submissive. Sue turns sideways on the nest edge and looks at Dad, Mom turns to look at her.

Dad elevates and lands on Sue's back. No, no breeding, but I thought for a moment there might be one. Dad flew on off nest. Mom stands and places her wing over Sue. Another little beak touching. Sue turns away and Mom does a wing flare. Sue ducks out of the way of the wings. Dad flies over. Mom turns to watch him go. He flies over again. Mom then turns and goes back to laying on the eggs. She glares at Sue who is still standing on the near edge of the nest.

Mom finally had enough. She got up - wings spread and shoved at Sue with her chest. A gentle tangle of wings ensued,. Mom's wings out to help her shove and Sue's out trying to maintain her balance. But the shoving worked and Sue left the nest with Mom glaring after her. Then Mom went back to brooding her eggs.

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Friday, June 04 2010 @ 11:18 PM EDT  
jkr

BET it sounds as if there's never a dull moment at this nest. Thanks for keeping such a good eye on things and helping to sort through all this drama. Things could get even more interesting when the eggs hatch if they don't chase "Sue" off soon.

9:15 pm
Mom, alone on the nest, was up to turn the eggs.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Saturday, June 05 2010 @ 12:18 AM EDT  
BET

Finally I have sorted out and made some images from the recordings.

But First Mom and Sue's identity

In the image below. Mom is on the left and Sue on the right.

Mom's back skull marking is shaped like a Delta Wing Fighter Plane - cockpit at the top and broad swept wings.

Sue's is not as wide as Mom's, the top is more like a finial for a newell post. Then there is a slender neck before it sweeps out to a diamond shape. Note that the top right side of diamond is lower than the left.

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Saturday, June 05 2010 @ 12:22 AM EDT  
BET

Dad had been brooding when female flew in

They both watch as another Osprey flies by

Second female lands

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Saturday, June 05 2010 @ 12:27 AM EDT  
BET

Dad does some wing displays and then leaps up

More wing displays when he lands - both girls watching closely

Mom edges up towards eggs, Dad more displays

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:43 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate