The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary - Enmax 2010
 |  Printable Version
By: BET (offline) on Wednesday, September 08 2010 @ 09:25 PM EDT  
BET

6:38pm

Dale moved in to try to get the fish from Chip
Click on image to download

No luck. He moved towards the back of the nest to wait. He only had to wait a couple of minutes. Dad delivers fish number 2

Dale got his fish. Dad left. Dale moved over to the nest rim and consumed his fish.

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Wednesday, September 08 2010 @ 09:28 PM EDT  
BET

Dale made an attempt to get the fish from Chip - without success

He moved over towards the back of the nest to wait. He did not have to wait long. Within 2 minutes, Dad delivered fish number 2

Dale got his fish

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Thursday, September 09 2010 @ 10:24 AM EDT  
jkr

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 9, 2010

8:19 AM
Dale has been on the nest for the past half hour. Chip came in for a landing once and Dale for some reason ran toward him and chased him off....missed the screen cap Sad Now I'm wondering is it was some other juvie for him to react that way Puzzled
Maybe Dale is skitterish after that magpie infestation yesterday Whistling
BET I wish I had been home when that happened. That's probably the most activity this nest has ever seen. giggle

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Thursday, September 09 2010 @ 10:33 AM EDT  
jkr

8:29 am
A magpie lands on the stick and while Dale chases it off another flies in from the rear.
Soon both magpies flew off.

8:31 am
While I'm typing that Dad flew in, dropped a fish off and kept on flying.
Dale is now standing on his fish.

8:32 am
Dale picked up his fish and flew off with it. He must have decided it wasn't safe to eat on the nest with the magpies in the vicinity.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Thursday, September 09 2010 @ 01:17 PM EDT  
BET

Quote by: jkr

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 9, 2010

8:19 AM
Dale has been on the nest for the past half hour. Chip came in for a landing once and Dale for some reason ran toward him and chased him off....missed the screen cap Sad Now I'm wondering is it was some other juvie for him to react that way Puzzled
Maybe Dale is skitterish after that magpie infestation yesterday Whistling
BET I wish I had been home when that happened. That's probably the most activity this nest has ever seen. giggle

=============
When I was getting ready to shut down the comp last evening I did note and capture something strange. The images I caught were too blurry to post - or so I thought at the time. But with Dale chasing another Juvie (Chip?) off the nest I will post them now.

It was about 9:30pm MDT The nest had been empty for awhile when there was a "touch and go" - gone appearance. Time elapsed: 1/2 of a second. The images gave me shivers - they seemed ghostly to me. I am not sure the bird even touched the nest with it's feet

I did capture the image as it flew away out over the river

Since I have been watching this am, Dale has been on the nest. At first he was very active - flitting back and forth across the nest and beak opening and closing. I am guessing the invaders were below out of cam range (Oh how nice it would be to have someone actively controlling the cam) Now he is perched quietly on the back rim.

I have not noted either chick bringing home a fish that they might have caught. Both still looking for parent supplied meals.

I will be gone for awhile today.

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Thursday, September 09 2010 @ 01:28 PM EDT  
BET

11:18am MDT

Dad just brought Dale a fish

As soon as Dale had the fish Dad left. Dale stood warily looking over the right side of the nest, then left the nest with the fish. No sooner was he off the nest than Magpie landed. I guess Dale wanted to eat in peace.

Dad returned to the nest. Magpie landed. Dad glared at it. Magpie left. Dad still on nest surveying the environment.

Edit: Dad stayed on the nest for over 30 minutes Occasionally moving a stick, but mostly glaring over the nest rim and at the area behind the cam. Possibly he was threatening the Magpies and preventing their taking over the nest as they did yesterday. Chin

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Friday, September 10 2010 @ 12:24 PM EDT  
BET

Friday September 10

9:50am MDT

Dale was perched on the back nest rim when I logged on this morning. Waiting and watching. And yes, his reward for patience is inbound

He wasted no time securing the fish. Dad (I think) wasted no time leaving. Note: the fish still has it's head - leaving the head on may be one of the steps in teaching the chicks to be self sufficient.

Dale took the fish to the side of the nest. Kept looking about. (I would describe it as nervously) Maybe he is still a bit spooked by the Magpie invasion. Deciding discretion the best part of valour, he took off with his fish to eat it elsewhere.

I did not see Chip yesterday. Although I was not watching in the pm. Nor have I seen Mom since the first day the cam was back up.

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Friday, September 10 2010 @ 06:55 PM EDT  
BET

4:40pm MDT

Dale had been perched on the nest since 2:50pm. At 4:33pm his patience was rewarded. Dad delivered - head intact, nice small trout.

Dad departed as soon as Dale had the fish

Dale drug it over to the near side of the nest. Bit the head! The boy is learning.Nodding yes

He did not try to eat the fish. He looked about - here and there - for a good 4 minutes and then decided to leave with the fish to eat elsewhere.

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:44 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate