Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Community Information > Festivals of Eagles, Birds and Nature
 FVBEF 2012 - Photos and reports
 |  Printable Version
By: Marg (offline) on Thursday, November 22 2012 @ 04:57 PM EST  
Marg

I was lucky to meet the owner of the SandPiper Golf Club when we stopped into the Rivers Edge Restaurant on Friday for lunch and just before we finished we saw David and Karen so they joined us. Earl ordered a "Betty Anne" sandwich from the menu and when we met Betty Anne she said that she would ask the chef to make her a certain type of sandwich quite often so the chef suggested they call it a "Betty Anne" and put it on the menu. (You can look it up on their menu http://www.sandpipergolfclub.com .) They have a huge tv screen on the wall so people can watch the eagles when eating. There's a fantastic view from the restaurant windows.

On Sunday, we walked down the trail at the Golf Course to the river's edge where they had a spotting scope set up. It was a long walk and on the way down I saw a man driving a golf cart so I said to him "I may thumb a ride to go back" lol. He told me he would be down there soon and take me back. Green LOL It was a rocky ride back and when he did a sharp left turn close to the restaurant I had to hang on for dear life!Don't Panic We decided to have lunch there before we headed home and also to warm up. Earl and I had a wonderful weekend.

We were advised to dress warmly, wear boots and take an umbrella - which we did. Saturday morning, when we were on David's boat tour, it was DRY. Even in the pouring rain it was incredible!

aka sunshinecoast member since Aug22/06

Content Provider
[url=http://www.hancockwildlife.org/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=482309#482309

Forum

Davis Bay, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Thursday, November 22 2012 @ 09:44 PM EST  
elle

It was great to see old friends again and also to make new ones and of course the eaglesSitting eagle and fish Fish:who are the real stars of the supernatural show. 2013 will be here again before we know it! I was especially surprised and thrilled to see you again at the same time and the same place terrytvgal and hubby, Allan! love and Big hugs to you, my friend. Take care!

Compassion is the most powerful weapon against negative forces.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: GailM (offline) on Thursday, November 22 2012 @ 10:08 PM EST  
GailM

Very HappyI want to send a BIG shout out to the organizers of the Fraser Valley Bald Eagle Festival, what a terrific event they put on. Thank You
I am going to share a few pictures, on Saturday outside the Kilby Historic Site Gift Shop I met this lovely Golden eagle, I did not get a chance to talk to the handler, but Karen told me later he is blind
Click on image to download
Eagle sitting on log dam during the boat tour, I think David said the Eagle count on Saturday was around 1538
Look at the rain hit the water..... it was wet :umb:

Gail

Forum

White Rock, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: GailM (offline) on Thursday, November 22 2012 @ 10:16 PM EST  
GailM

Sub adult getting his balance, look at all the white heads in the trees in the background for every white head you can see there are about 3 juvi's there too
I tried to get a close up of a spruce tree, you can just make out the juvi's
The flats camera looks a long way away, when on the boat tour

Gail

Forum

White Rock, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: GailM (offline) on Thursday, November 22 2012 @ 10:36 PM EST  
GailM

Can see the snow in the mountains.... brrrrr
This is the same shot as the Nov calendar, but mine has fewer eagles and a seagull on the poles instead of an eagle.... Grin
Eagles flying over head, what a trill. There were gun shots on Sunday morning, David said it was Duck Hu__ting season.Sad Joanne our tour guide said the hunters don't eat the ducks in the area because they taste like salmon. David showed video taken on the Chelhalis fish cam of ducks eating salmon during his talk at Tapadera.
It was great to met up with all the HWF friends and family. There is a tremendous amount of work to put this events on and the volunteers do fabulous jobs.
Truly something I will never forget. Cloud 9

Gail

Forum

White Rock, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Friday, November 23 2012 @ 11:12 AM EST  
IrishEyes

:hello: Gail... WOW!! Thank you for sharing your FVBEF pictures with us.... you captured some really neat one of the eagles.....so happy you were there and had such a wonderful time...hug

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: HikerBikerGram (offline) on Saturday, November 24 2012 @ 09:56 AM EST  
HikerBikerGram

Hello Friends,

I have just returned from spending 12 days in the Vancouver, Vancouver Island, Chilliwack, Harrison Mills areas. The trip was planned around the FVBEF that was in the Harrison Mills area. The area is populated at this time with thousands of Baldeagles, which have come for the Salmon that are in the rivers in great numbers. It was an awesome adventure and Gord and I met up with friends along the way, Elle and Ian on the island, Scott in Chilliwack, Kathy from Seattle joined us for a couple days, and then all our friends from HWF at the festival.

We did a boat safari with David on Saturday morning and met his lovely wife Mary. Also I was very happy to meet Karen Bills, she is a wonderful person. Some of other really nice people we met were Marg and Earl, Darlene,Sharon, Urban Eagle/Larry, Christian, Mindy from Owl, Leslie, Lori and her daughter, and so many others. It was an awesome Adventure in Eagle Heaven. I will post some photos here from the Harrison Mills/ Flats area and you can find all the photos from the trip at my thread at this link.

forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=1790&topic=435461#435461

Getting ready to head out on the boat cruise with David and Karen and the rest of the crew.

Our Cruise Boat, with Gord/Algonquinlover on the front of the boat.

Our lunch at Kilby after the Cruise, we were all hungry.Smile

Wildlife Photography, Nature Provides It And We Pass It On

Linda/HikerBikerGram

Joined May 12, 2009

"Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"

Forum

Maryville, Il USA

Profile Email   PM

By: HikerBikerGram (offline) on Saturday, November 24 2012 @ 10:08 AM EST  
HikerBikerGram

David recording when we stopped along the way to take photos.

While on the cruise another fishing group caught a large fish, I believe it was called a Sturgeon. David said that when they are caught, they are measured, weighed and then released. He also told us that this was a small one.

Wildlife Photography, Nature Provides It And We Pass It On

Linda/HikerBikerGram

Joined May 12, 2009

"Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"

Forum

Maryville, Il USA

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:57 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate