https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > Formerly Live Cams Now Offline > Mission, BC - Bald Eagle Nest
 Mission, BC - Bald Eagle Nest 2013
 |  Printable Version
By: terrytvgal (offline) on Saturday, May 18 2013 @ 05:32 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

It was a nice afternoon for our little jumpers. Thank you, mochamama22 for your video. I have taken a s'cap from it for my weather report.

Click on image to download

Click on image to download

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: Steamer (offline) on Saturday, May 18 2013 @ 05:39 PM EDT  
Steamer

Trust me to follow this nest cam most of this morning only to come back from a short walk around the nearby lake to find out they jumped! Nodding yes

Many THANKS for the Youtube links to check out the event Thank You

Nice to see all 6 were spotted later since I only counted 5 at the end of the first clip I viewed Smile

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Saturday, May 18 2013 @ 05:49 PM EDT  
JudyB

I was thinking that I saw four clustered together, then saw the one who looked a bit winded by the landing scuttle forward to join them - and then saw the cam look ahead and see the sixth one a little farther along the driveway - but they move fast, so I wasn't sure.

Working on a quick timeline for the opening posts next, and then perhaps I'll look at the videos.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: Thimble () on Saturday, May 18 2013 @ 05:49 PM EDT  
Anonymous: Thimble

Quote by: Steamer

Trust me to follow this nest cam most of this morning only to come back from a short walk around the nearby lake to find out they jumped! Nodding yes

Nice to see all 6 were spotted later since I only counted 5 at the end of the first clip I viewed Smile

I watched every video, i only saw 5 ...I am hoping someone can show me the sixth, the lil guy sitting there I believe was already counted in my five Sad

By: karenbills (offline) on Saturday, May 18 2013 @ 05:52 PM EDT  
karenbills

Thanks to all the zoomers and posters of observations and screenshots and videos today. David Hancock is thrilled that he arrived back just in time to take over the control cam and see the exciting sequence.

David says the fact that the goslings were already starting to eat what they could find in the nest was a sign to Bonny and Clyde that they were hungry and that their egg sacs had sufficiently dried up so it was time to leave the nest. He says the last two eggs are now abandoned. They may not have been fertile. He saw no signs of pips in either of them, only dirt on one of the eggs.

He thinks that eaglet #6 was slightly injured as it landed on the hard driveway rather than the soft ground like goslings usually do. That's why it looked stunned and rolled over a couple of times and was seen lagging up the rear.

I made a mistake earlier in my post when I referred to the male goose as a "drake". That is what a male duck is called. David says in geese the male is called a "gander" and the female is a "goose". I will go back and change my former post if I can find it.

We are now looking forward to Pam's report and video of her ground observations.

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: Steamer (offline) on Saturday, May 18 2013 @ 05:56 PM EDT  
Steamer

Quote by: Thimble

Quote by: Steamer

I watched every video, i only saw 5 ...I am hoping someone can show me the sixth, the lil guy sitting there I believe was already counted in my five Sad

Yes I'm hoping the various footage will clear this up toofingers crossed ...only 5 counted from my best effort so far.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Raining22 (offline) on Saturday, May 18 2013 @ 05:59 PM EDT  
Raining22

Quote by: karenbills

Thanks to all the zoomers and posters of observations and screenshots and videos today. David Hancock is thrilled that he arrived back just in time to take over the control cam and see the exciting sequence.

David says the fact that the goslings were already starting to eat what they could find in the nest was a sign to Bonny and Clyde that they were hungry and that their egg sacs had sufficiently dried up so it was time to leave the nest. He says the last two eggs are now abandoned. They may not have been fertile. He saw no signs of pips in either of them, only dirt on one of the eggs.

He thinks that eaglet #6 was slightly injured as it landed on the hard driveway rather than the soft ground like goslings usually do. That's why it looked stunned and rolled over a couple of times and was seen lagging up the rear.

I made a mistake earlier in my post when I referred to the male goose as a "drake". That is what a male duck is called. David says in geese the male is called a "gander" and the female is a "goose". I will go back and change my former post if I can find it.

We are now looking forward to Pam's report and video of her ground observations.

Thanks David and Karen for keeping us informed. Hitting the pavement would definitely knock the winds out of your sails. Glad everyone is together now and can't wait to hear Pam's report. She must be in 7th heaven. Cloud 9

"And little eagles wave their wings in gold. Alexander Pope

~ Debbe ~ 2011

Forum

The Maritimes,
Canada

Profile     PM

By: stim (offline) on Saturday, May 18 2013 @ 06:07 PM EDT  
stim

After following this nest since Bonnie started laying her eggs, getting up at 4:42 am this morning to see the jump if was to be "at the break of day", I missed the final thrust, jump off the nest! Oh My Thank you to David Hancock not only for the great camera work but also for the cam to allow us all to have been a part of this great adventure, to Debbie and Percy whose property it is on for sharing their nest with us and also to mochamma, BirdeEWatcher and Judy for the videos albeit after the fact. Clapping Scaps are great but videos tell the tale.
We saw Bonnie pulling on sticks in the crib at the front of the nest a few days ago and wondered if that was the exit plan. And thankfully it was right in front of the cam! Left thumb up
Pam, I hope you were still there and able to visualize it all in person. Hopefully you will give us confirmation that all 6 are accounted for with their parents. The last 2 eggs in the nest leave a sad commentary but seeing the 6 swimming as geese are meant to do will be uplifting.
Thank you again for the videos. Just like being here in person! hug

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:36 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate