By: Nic (offline) on Wednesday, April 03 2013 @ 10:51 AM EDT  
Nic

Cam seems to be down Oh the shame

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Debs (offline) on Sunday, April 07 2013 @ 11:54 PM EDT  
Debs

Evening Friends wave

Our annual fundraising is underway and we need your help.

We have a challenge underway to see how many HWF families and nests can be adopted during this "wave" hope you ride the wave and help make this a huge success!

Thanks for your continued support.

May you enjoy all of the simple "pleasures or gifts" that surround you.
Let your spirit soar!

To light a Candle for a loved one or friend right click on the link that follows and copy to your browser
http://light-candle.com/collections/view/33353/success

Forum

North Pole

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, July 08 2013 @ 02:29 AM EDT  
JudyB

It's too late to tell tonight - but the cam is supposed to be streaming, though the lens may need cleaning.

The Power of One

Hi everyone! As you may have guessed from the buttons that are appearing in many of our signature lines, it's that time again. Our older eaglets are branching, which is usually one of the final steps before taking their first flight, and even 3-weeks-younger Birdie at Harrison Mills has begun standing on a stick at the edge of the nest, spreading his or her wings - and hopping to the center of the nest! I must confess that I find it cute - but I also know that it's scarcely a hop, skip and a jump from there to the powerful flapping that will carry Birdie into the air above the nest - and off to see the world!

And that means that we're in the final mad-rush countdown to raise the money needed to do the maintenance and updates required during the relatively brief period after fledging when the eagles are away - and we are, once again, having a brief but important matching drive!

Not surprisingly, for those who know David Hancock, he has some great plans for next year. High on the list is adding a second working cam at Delta 2 (replacing the one that failed right after the eagles returned), and making sure we have night vision for next year. We're not sure why the sound never worked at Harrison Mills, and hopefully a quick trip to the nest will allow the cams there to be cleaned, the connections tightened, and a new mic installed and checked out. The Lafarge cams will need cleaning - and given the tendency of the eagles there to eat wires, David and his team will probably want to replace all the wiring, just in case! And we do have four cams installed at White Rock, but seem to have trouble running more than 2 or 3 at a time, and David would like to address that.

I'm sure David will also have a surprise or two up his sleeve (he always does - never in my wildest dreams did I expect owl cams or geese cams!) - but right now we don't even have the money to do the basics.

When I started to write this post, I chose the title in honor of our solo eaglets - Tux at Delta 2, Feathers at Lafarge and Birdie at Harrison Mills (and with a nod to Heidi, the solo offspring of our much loved Sidney eagles, who are now nesting off-cam).

(clicks much bigger)

But as I continued to compose my post - I realized that it also applies to all of us. I think we've all heard - or thought - "What can I do? I'm only one person." But the simple fact of the matter is that a lot of us watch these cams - and if each and every one who watches makes a donation - odds are really good that we can keep them streaming for another year.

And if you've been thinking of donating - now's the time to do it! A few long-time supporters have pledged to match up to $1700 in donations between now and July 10th! That means that donations made in the next three days will be doubled! You give $25 - Hancock Wildlife gets $50! You give $100 - they get $200! That is definitely the way to make one donation more powerful - and think how great it will be if everyone donates!

I do have a big favor to ask - it's a busy time of year for everyone, so if you can donate via CanadaHelps (Link), more of your donation will go to the cams and the forum and all that we do. (And you don't need to be in Canada to use CanadaHelps - I know it works from the United States, and suspect it will work from other parts of the world as well.)

I know that doesn't work for everyone, so if you'd rather call in a donation, please do that on Tuesday, when there will be someone at Hancock House able to take your calls. And all of our Five Easy Ways to Donate do work - so if you're uncomfortable with online donations or would really like a more personal thank you - that's fine.

I'm looking forward to having night vision at Delta 2 again - it looks as if Tux is planning to spend the night on a branch for the first time - but it's mighty hard to see her there! And I'd love to hear the eagles at Harrison Mills. And with a little help from all of our friends - that can happen!

Thank you. love

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Saturday, July 13 2013 @ 12:11 PM EDT  
JudyB

$4997!

Thank You!

Our three-day matching drive was a rousing success! On behalf of Hancock Wildlife Foundation, I'd like to give a big thanks to the members who offered to match $2200 in donations - and a big thanks to all the members, friends and viewers who stepped up to the plate and not only matched that amount, but went on to donate a whopping $2797 towards the cams and the work of Hancock Wildlife!

Have I said Thank You! ?

And as you may have noticed - Feathers and Tux were so excited by the news that they have fledged! (Eaglenut's picture of Feathers just before she fledged and liberty1998's picture of Tux in flight both click bigger)

-

If you weren't able to donate during our matching drive, please don't despair - there are still several opportunities to help us raise the remaining $5000 needed to keep our current eagle cams streaming. For instance....

For $250, you can Adopt a Nest! Click the button below to learn more - and please let me know (via PM or email to judyb at hancockwildlife dot org) if you adopt a nest - there's so much happening right now that it may take a few days before the donations are processed, and we do want to get your name listed now - before more eaglets fledge!

Those who are going to the fabulous FledgeFest Open House on July 14 at David Hancock's house can leave a donation with Karen Bills or one of the other local "behind the scenes" people (I think gemini and terrytvgal will be there). I'd suggest putting your donation in an envelope and writing something like "Donation to HWF from JudyB" on the envelope, because I'm guessing it will be a wonderful party (wish I could come - but it's a long ways from Maine), with so much happening that it will be really hard for anyone to remember the next morning who donated what.

And of course you can always just use our Five Easy Ways to Donate - I'm actually going to add a couple of buttons to click because gemini and eaglet999 have done such a wonderful job of making buttons - but they all go to the same place. I will note that CanadaHelps is the best choice for donations under $150 - but you'll only get an automated acknowledgement and receipt via email (which is why it's so cost-effective). Donations may also be mailed to either the Canadian or US addresses for Hancock Wildlife, or called in on the Hancock House 800 line (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday are the best days for phone calls). Click any of the buttons below for details!

Thank you.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Wednesday, July 17 2013 @ 08:02 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

Hello Everyone I am not sure how best to do this, but I thought I'd start by notifying those of you who may live in the White Rock / South Surrey area.

~~~~
David has a discovered that one is his Demoiselle Cranes has gone missing, likely on Monday Afternoon:

SPECIAL NOTE: One of our Demoiselle Cranes walked out of the pen as the crew was moving all the yard furniture from the weekend open house. This is one of our breeding pairs that are just maturing.

The bird is readily seen on the web:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=demoiselle ... owAppsUI=1

If anyone has any information about this bird, Please call: 604 761-1025 David

~~~~
If those of you who live in the White Rock area could spread the word to keep an eye open for this bird maybe we will get lucky!

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, July 22 2013 @ 05:33 PM EDT  
JudyB

So Near, and Yet So Far

The bittersweet end of the nesting season is fast approaching. Tux will be 14 weeks old tomorrow, and has only rarely visited the nest and cam since he (or maybe she) fledged almost 10 days ago, though people in the neighborhood are still seeing Tux with his parents on their favorite perching locations. And Birdie, the youngest of this year's eaglets, is 10-1/2 weeks old, and is spending a lot of time perching, and flapping his big wings - and has started to hover over the nest, in one of the final steps before flying off for the first time.

The eagles we watch - and most eagles in lower BC - will be making a big journey soon. The adults will be going in search of salmon - and perhaps a much-needed vacation after the work of raising a family; the fledglings will be following the crowd to the salmon - and then setting forth on the journey that will hopefully lead to a nest of their own in five or six years. And while everyone is away, we need to get all our nests ready for the upcoming season, before the eagles begin to return in mid-September.

I've been watching Birdie - and he's so close - look at this mighty leap with only a foot still visible at the top of the screen (clicks bigger)

- but so far his biggest flight has been from a branch at the edge of the nest to the other side of the nest - an impressive 6 feet, but no match for Feathers' flight up to the perch on the artificial nest at Lafarge (clicks bigger)

- or Tux's travels (no picture - because we haven't seen him for a couple of days - just heard calls in the distance as he practices his flying).

They all are getting close - but they still have a ways to go.

And so do we.

David Hancock has provided an overview of the expenses for the 2013-2014 nesting season - and his best estimate is that it will cost $35,400 to keep our cams streaming (click here for details). The good news is that thanks to our cam sponsors - Russ & Ellen at White Rock, the folks at Lafarge Vancouver, and Betty Anne and the team at Pretty Estates Resort - and thanks to David Hancock who is donating fees he's earned as a consultant with outside agencies - we're expecting $25,400 in revenue for the 2013-14 fiscal year.

That leaves $10,000 to be raised through donations and fund drives - and thanks to the 35 great people who donated during our 3-day matching drive - and to our wonderful matching-drive sponsors - we raised almost $5000 of that earlier this month. And I just checked with Karen, and we're at $5892 for donations in July (and a special thanks to all who donated at the FledgeFest Party at David and Mary's house!).

$10,000 - $5,892 = $4,108

So near - and yet so far.

Can you help us raise the last $4,108? We really do need your help today.

We're encouraging people to use CanadaHelps to make their donations - you'll get a receipt almost instantly, and it saves HWF valuable time and resources. And you don't need to be in Canada to use CanadaHelps! Just click the blue button:

If you prefer to call in your donation, it would be great if you could do that today; there will be someone at Hancock House waiting to take your call. Or you can use any of our other ways to donate:

Thank you all, for all you do!

Photo Credits: The slightly blurry photo of Birdie's great leap is mine; the wide angle picture of Lafarge showing Feathers way up at the top and the adults way down at the bottom is courtesy of gemini.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:36 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate