The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2013
 |  Printable Version
By: Jean (offline) on Friday, April 26 2013 @ 12:47 PM EDT  
Jean

10:44am.................Both here again............they are like popcorn this morning! Here is a wild attempt at identification this morning.............look at he back of the heads..............one has a small cross shape at the top of the dark patch on the head. The other's is a bigger dark patch and a bigger cross shape on the top of it. What do you all think??

The one higher up seems to be a bit smaller..............the male perhaps?? The one lower down is a bit bigger.......the female perhaps??
Click on image to download

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time;............they have the heart..........Elizabeth Andrew

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Friday, April 26 2013 @ 02:10 PM EDT  
BET

Morning All!

I have had a giant I hate computers but I can't live with out them episode

All started when I downloaded another video recording software to test it. It loaded a malware along with it. Well 6 hours later uninstalling reinstalling etc I think I finally have it working correctly again

I have kept checking on the O's. New Dad is really doing a good job now bringing in sticks. And seems to have the hormone drive of a human teenager. I gave up trying to count the number of matings and claimings. He is a clutz upon occasion slipping and sliding all over Mpm's back.

Jean, don't try to ID them by their top head markings. They are too similar. The best way at this time is to look at their chest markings. New Dad is quite white in the chest. I put together this image from captures the day they arrived. When I have time I will try to find better images for a comparison photo. Also be careful with comparing size. THis cam view always makes the O in the background smaller.

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Friday, April 26 2013 @ 06:23 PM EDT  
BET

4:15pm MDT

Finally caught up with reviewing my recordings etc.

A few images I liked

Nest is now in competion for a game of Pick up Sticks

Mom had been standing on the nest for some time. This male is showing great potential. He is doing most of the "bring home sticks" and now delivering food to SuperMom

She wasted no time taking it and flying off to eat elsewhere.

About 10 minutes later, a boat zoomed down river and a minute or two back up

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Friday, April 26 2013 @ 06:50 PM EDT  
BET

4:17pm

As I was typing the preceding post, I noted two Osprey on the river - fishing and then a chase up river. They no sooner were out of sight when an O flew in and landed on the nest. Looks like the male (or as the case turns out, a male) slim bodied white chest.

4:15:

He perched on the right side frame - constantly looking about - suddenly launched
4:17:01

Here comes Mom - intent on landing where the O was perched (Note the dark shading on the chest. )
4:17:01
I could not get them both in the same frame, but there was no doubt she did not want him on the nest.

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: Jean (offline) on Friday, April 26 2013 @ 09:02 PM EDT  
Jean

6:58pm....................Thanks BET for reminding me what I forgot that I knew! Titter How did that sound?? Yes, the males do usually have a whiter chest and the females more darker spots. This new males really does seem to be a good match for her............lots of energy and will be helpful when needed!

One is here.........can't see her chest.........but I would guess Ma.

In comes the other.............maybe a white chest?? .............Pa (potentially)

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time;............they have the heart..........Elizabeth Andrew

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Jean (offline) on Friday, April 26 2013 @ 09:03 PM EDT  
Jean

7:03pm...............This one stayed only for a minute.............then flew off and then returned again!!

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Jean (offline) on Friday, April 26 2013 @ 10:02 PM EDT  
Jean

8:01pm..............2 of them were there and then the one on the left flew away.................Both the remaining osprey and myself saw it fly overhead.............just saw the tips of its wings, I think.

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Friday, April 26 2013 @ 10:14 PM EDT  
BET

803pm

Mom on the nest. (I saw a later image of her chest)

The wind has really been blowing this afternoon. It's cleared out the clouds and we got to see that moment in time at sunset when red dominates the color spectrum .

Mom with feathers glowing red

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:03 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate