Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2013
 |  Printable Version
By: BET (offline) on Wednesday, May 22 2013 @ 12:58 PM EDT  
BET

Here is the image of the two together.

Click on image to download

THe one on the right with the dot, is the one that was originally brooding, and left with the fish. Here she has just returned. The head markings are clear in this image and without them being side by side, I would have ID'd the right one as Dad due to the dot. But her size and the way she shoved Dad off the nest ID her as our Super Mom. At least I think so. What do you all think?

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Thursday, May 23 2013 @ 10:20 AM EDT  
jkr

Thursday May 23, 2013

Good Morning,

BET, I also had a hard time ID'ing them in the rain yesterday. Unless Mom would turn around with her breast in view I couldn't tell her from Dad .

8:17 am
Mom on the nest viewing a bird flying down the river.

I'm sure the river will be even higher than this over the next few days. The Rockies have more fresh snow and Calgary is now under the same heavy rainfall warning that we've had here for the past couple of days.
Alberta desperately needs the rain but the rivers don't. :ds:

8:45 am
Cam just went down.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Thursday, May 23 2013 @ 12:22 PM EDT  
BET

1021am

Cam is back

Mom brooding and Dad just landed. Rain on the lens so a blurry image.

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Thursday, May 23 2013 @ 12:53 PM EDT  
BET

10:50am

Dad just made a quick visit

A Two Taloned Delivery

He left as soon as he arranged the yuk encrusted stick. Mom did not budge from her tucked in position

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: lilywriter (offline) on Thursday, May 23 2013 @ 03:30 PM EDT  
lilywriter

1:30 pm

Well....I am sitting in my living room watching the rain fall, fall and fall. I feel sorry for Supermom since we are, as Judy mentioned, expecting a lot of rain over the next few days. I prefer the rain to fall over days instead of quickly all at once. When it comes down in a torrent, the drain on the street gets plugged and more than once I have been out there trying to unplug it so we do not flood.

Here is a pic of mom in the rain. She needs an umbrella.

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Thursday, May 23 2013 @ 07:46 PM EDT  
BET

5:40pm

It is still raining and the river is still rising. The shingle where one pair of geese hangs out - lower left corner of the cam view - is now under water and the sand bar is no longer visible.

Poor Mom - still hunkered down keeping the eggs warm and hopefully dry. She really does look miserable - bedraggled comes to mind. But I will take the rain as a blessing as long as there is no hail

I haven't seen Dad on the nest for awhile, but did see a bit of feathers showing on the left of the screen once. As if he might have been on the cam support frame.

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Thursday, May 23 2013 @ 08:14 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

:hello: Hi everyone. I saw Dad come to the nest once late afternoon, can't find my note of the time but Mom didn't move so he was off quickly again.

I was watching yesterday when he came to the nest and started eating the fish. It was raining and Mom did not want to leave her eggs but when he continued eating on the nest she got up and took the fish and left. Knowing how scrupulous Dad was in never leaving a scrap of food on the nest I was horrified to see this lad's behaviour. Oh My Hopefully Mom will be able to convince him of the great danger of leaving any food there and he will quickly mend his ways.

6:09 pm Mom is still hunkered down on the nest and if the weatherman is correct she is in this for a long haul and may float away. We know that she is capable of a long vigil and is incredibly self-sacrificing.

6:11 pm Mom just got up, flapped her wings, ps'd off the edge of the nest and is back down on her precious eggs.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Thursday, May 23 2013 @ 08:44 PM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Hi Calgary friends.....

Poor bedraggled Supermom. Yet as long as it is rain, no hail, it is OK, she is up high in her nest. I am glad JD you saw Dad come in to check her. Her is a pretty cool osprey too.
Sorry friends up there for all of your relentless rain. Some days here in Texas I so wish for clouds as the sun can get to be too much; but then I go find a nice shady path and walk.
It's all good.....
sweet dreams,
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:49 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate