The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2013
 |  Printable Version
By: BET (offline) on Tuesday, May 21 2013 @ 04:01 PM EDT  
BET

2:00pm

Hi Christine - regarding the plastic tarpaper. I just finished reviewing my latest recording and here it is at 1:17pm MDT

Going

Click on image to download

Gone

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Tuesday, May 21 2013 @ 04:05 PM EDT  
BET

Shortly after the departure of the plastic, Dad arrived on the nest. No treasures in talons.

He moved up and lay down next to Mom

The two of them looked up and down the river - sometimes heads moving in sync. Here they decided to adjust the bark together

After moving it nowhere they appeared to discuss it with each other

They just left it . Dad flew off a couple of minutes later and the bark is still flapping at Mom's chest.

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Tuesday, May 21 2013 @ 05:42 PM EDT  
BET

3:05pm

I am not sure what I just watched. Mom was on the nest. She was on her feet moving the bark strip around. Not ever really being satisfied with it's location. An O flew in from the right side - Mom's back to him seemingly not aware of his approach.

He landed on Mom's back. With the impact she lurched forward head down tail up.

The O began the mating process But Mom's tail is not up Here he is really tucked down for the mating, but I do not think Mom's tail is up - only her wing feathers.

He flew off immediately. Never touching down in the nest or looking at Mom

My puzzlement is Mom's mating time is long done. Dad has shown no inclination towards mating for several weeks now. There is another O that has been in the area and I am wondering if this was him in a sneaky attempt to mate.

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: lilywriter (offline) on Wednesday, May 22 2013 @ 10:34 AM EDT  
lilywriter

8:30am I think dad wanted to brood. He brought in more furniture for the nest, moved around a stick or two, stared intently at Supermom, moved around some brush, stared some more. Mom ignored him.

Thanks, BET, for the scaps -- it was nice to see the plastic go. How odd about the visiting osprey.

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Wednesday, May 22 2013 @ 10:38 AM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Good Morning Calgary.....

That was odd about the visiting osprey BET. I think you could be right.....a sneaky Lothario?

Dad is going to have to get really clever to get mom off the eggs....she knows when she has a good thing (resting). He does too though - "Hey honey, you fish, I'll incubate!".
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: jkr (offline) on Wednesday, May 22 2013 @ 11:32 AM EDT  
jkr

Good Morning Carolyn and All. :hello:

9:30 a.m.
Can't believe I actually slept in this morning. Must be the dark gloomy weather here in Cranbrook -- and our forecast for severe rain showers today. Sad
I'm not sure what it's doing in Calgary. The current weather report says it's 8C and no rain until this afternoon but from the looks of the nest I'd say it's a little on the damp side already. Can't trust the weather man to predict the weather now-a-days.

9:54 am
The same parent is still hunkered down on the nest in the wind and rain keeping the eggs warm and dry.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Wednesday, May 22 2013 @ 12:37 PM EDT  
jkr

10:35 am
Mom is on the nest as the raindrops run down the cam lens. Not a nice day.

The lights are flickering at my place as our own storm moves in so I'm going to shut down for now.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Wednesday, May 22 2013 @ 12:48 PM EDT  
BET

10:30am

Morning all

At 10:10 a fish was brought in - I don't know who is who this morning

The Owner of the fish. Note how the markings on the foreskull are changed - probably due to the wet weather. Or maybe molting

I am going to say it is Dad. He continues to eat at the fish that was half consumed when he brought it in. Mom gets up and works her way over and gets the fish - taking off to eat it elsewhere

As I was preparing the images, Mom returned and shoved Dad off the eggs. Now I am really confused about who is who. SHe has a white dot in the middle of the foreskull dark area. The same look that I had been using to identify Dad. The reason I think it is Mom is she was bigger than the other O when she shoved him off the eggs. Who is who will have to wait until they dry out.

And speaking of confusion. Yesterday's attempted mating by the "Lothario" prompted me to think again about the earlier episode when the intruder dove at Mom on the nest and a minute later Dad landed with a stick and Mom attacked him. My guess to make him chase the invader. Perhaps that was the invader "Lothario" trying to woo Mom with a contribution to the nest? Oh for leg bands to identify these birds.

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:50 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate