Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2013
 |  Printable Version
By: BET (offline) on Tuesday, April 30 2013 @ 06:52 PM EDT  
BET

4:45 pm MDT

Well it had to have been an intruder - an opportunistic male. As our pair are comfortably standing together. They've both been chewing on the stick that is sticking up on the left side mid nest.
Click on image to download

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Tuesday, April 30 2013 @ 11:11 PM EDT  
BET

9:10pm

Mom on the nest and a rlver glowing in the evening light

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Tuesday, April 30 2013 @ 11:45 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

Thanks, Bet. That is what I saw but it was so fast and like you say it looked like her new mate but I knew it couldn't have been. They have been guarding their nest all weekend and this morning against this "guy", I think, from the behaviour I have seen. Finally he caught Mom alone and seized his chance but he didn't figure on Supermom and her great skill and ferocity. Oh My

Great s'caps! It's 9:25 pm and Mom is on the nest where she has been since I put the cam up again just before 8 pm (save for two quick fly-offs, the first and longest down over the river at 8:54, returning at 9:05). Dad made several quick visits but hasn't returned since just before Mom's first foray.

Finally getting dark here, I love our late evenings but we could use a little more warmth, it's just above freezing and has been that way all day. Sad

But of the four nests that I have up this is the only one without snow!

9:35 pm Mom standing at the back of her nest, so still that I had to check that the cam hadn't clunked out on me, lol. Then Mom took a few wee steps right, looks towards the riverbank and then the river. She is picking at the nest center now and sits there. I thought that Mom was going to leave but Dad has just flown in with a fish for her, amazing this late. Mom is off with her fish at 9:43 pm and Dad is on the right front of the nest. I think she has found the right fellow. Bravo And he's off.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Wednesday, May 01 2013 @ 12:18 AM EDT  
BET

Hi and Good Night JD

I read a post that you are about to cross the pond. When ? and how long will you be gone. No need to paint me green! I already am just thinking about it

This new Dad may be young and new to this mate business, but he is learning fast and well. I have been afraid to think it let alone print it, but so far his nesting material is all natural - we could say "organic" to use the current "in" terms. Not that I didn't enjoy the mittens and the bra and the jockey briefs, but the plastic!!!!!!!!!! no way.

sleepy

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Wednesday, May 01 2013 @ 01:17 AM EDT  
Bluebird1

Well, green is the right colour, Bet, as I leave on Sat. for Dublin, Ireland. I will join up with a birding group on the following Friday so should be fun and I'll see a good deal of the southern part of the Island. I must stop watching these cams though and get ready! So hard to pull away as it is fascinating to see the different personalities and abilities of all our birds. It will be interesting to see how the nests all work out. I do hope that the threats to this one abate soon, but realistically it is Prime Real-estate, and highly desired.

Good luck on keeping treasures out of the nest, Rolling on floor laughing Actually I hope it was all grass and sticks today but as it was getting dark I wondered about some ropey looking stuff on the nest. I hope that is just some of the wadded grass that Mom brought in earlier and perhaps unravelled. Good night

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Wednesday, May 01 2013 @ 09:42 AM EDT  
jkr

Good Morning -- May 1, 2013 already !

Loved the scaps of Mom chasing off the intruder BET. Last year we worried about her being alone and now she's got more men coming around than we can keep track of. Titter

JD -- birding in Ireland sounds like a dream vacation. I am LOLLOLLOL

7:37 a.m.
Construction continues on the nest this morning. Dad has just come home from across the river.
The bowl looks ready for eggs any time now. fingers crossed

7:40 a.m.
Mom flew off and Dad decides to try out the bowl.

7:44 a.m.
Mom comes flying in with a new stick.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Wednesday, May 01 2013 @ 09:53 AM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Good Morning Calgary....It's looking good! Now to keep the osprey looking for a home away - mom did a great job with that.
I hope y'all know that I am officially camping at this nest as I can also this year......it hooked me in last year and I seem stuck. Smile in a good way.

JD.....enjoy! I will be thinking of you; knowing you are having a glorious time.
catch you later all...can't be here today.....
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: jkr (offline) on Wednesday, May 01 2013 @ 10:54 AM EDT  
jkr

Carolyn, you're always welcome to camp here with the rest of us campers. As much as I love eagles there is something special about osprey that has me hooked, and knowing the amazing job that one osprey can do to raise a family makes me a diehard Mom fan. I'm not sure if any eagle could have done a job that well.

8:49 am
Dad arrived and landed on Mom but no mating took place. Dad flew off immediately.

8:56 am
Dad arrives again and this time they did mate. He is definitely determined they'll have chicks Rolling on floor laughing

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:30 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate