Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2013
 |  Printable Version
By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Sunday, September 22 2013 @ 12:31 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

wave

Happy first day of fall, everyone. I'm amazed that Dad is lingering so long here. It would be wonderful to know where he was raised and where he will be migrating to. He seemed quite dependent on Mom and kept close to her and the nest this year, at least early in the season.

Thank you so much Janet, Christine, Michelle and Ernie for your visits to the nest, reports and pictures. I especially have enjoyed watching the videos, Janet, they gave us a wonderful view of the youngsters and how well they were doing.

Seems like Supermom continued doing her thing, providing food for her growing brood until they all left on migration. We wish them well on their journey wherever they may go.

I took my grands to the zoo on Friday but looking across to the nest from the bridge revealed no osprey. With the noisy machinery there I can understand why Dad would want to stay away from the area.Smile

I spent most of the summer at the lake where I enjoyed an osprey nest there, they raised only one young however and though all three were present on the nest on Sept. 12th I saw just Dad and the robust-looking fledgling when I left on Sept.17th.
It is truly migration time and hence so bitter-sweet. Smile sad

Byebye Carolyn, BET, Jean and all who look in here, miss you all.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Sunday, September 22 2013 @ 06:51 PM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Hi All!

JD - It's so good to see you! I hope the Zoo visit was fun for you. Please tell us how it looked at this point. I figured you were off enjoying your summer.

BET - We have been so lucky this year to have such incredible reporting, haven't we? I love seeing your posts and enjoy hearing about the California weather.
Give your pups a hug from me and Bleu please.

Everyone else -just a huge Hi! You are the best.
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: amd (offline) on Monday, September 23 2013 @ 10:50 PM EDT  
amd

Well everyone, hope you all had a good Monday -- I dropped by the Zoo nest tonight - before it got too dark and by the time I left at 7:45pm, I had not seen our sweet Daddy O....I truly feel in my heart that he has now gone too....I haven't seen him since Friday....so I pray that he has safe travels to his winter destination. Missing all of them so much already, but truly they have been such a joy to watch, amid all the drama and craziness that happened in this city since late June. We just get so attached to these beautiful birds....Cry
The Fish Creek nest was empty tonight too....didn't spot any O's on the usual lamp-posts down there either......we will see what tomorrow brings......
Good night to all!!

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Tuesday, September 24 2013 @ 09:23 AM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Thank you Christine........and Bravo everyone for what turned out to be an amazing season.
I will see you around the Forum.
With many smiles,
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: Janet Preston (offline) on Tuesday, September 24 2013 @ 03:32 PM EDT  
Janet Preston

Thank you everyone for all your posts and updates.
Michelle, I think when Dad was above your head, he was saying Goodbye and thanking you for all the constant visits and caring. You truly deserved the last Goodbye Michelle. Cannot thank you enough for all your visits and feedback. I was there Sunday 315-330, had my camera at the ready, looked overhead....nothing.... Quiet at the nest, equipment there, but no action. Pole is definitely leaning, I stabilized and levelled my tripod/camera. 22x nest has been deserted for a few days. I will keep checking.
Click on image to download

"Laughter is Gods' sunshine"
Forum

Calgary

Profile     PM

By: amd (offline) on Thursday, September 26 2013 @ 08:39 PM EDT  
amd

Smile 6:30pm -- Fish Creek Dad is still here!!! (eating fish on lamp post)....I watched him last night as well, eating a fish at about 7:00pm, he is a very good looking osprey...every time I see him he's eating a fish!!! Got to be close for him to head south....I haven't seen any others around the city, at various nests....he must be one of the last hanging around!! Tonight Calgary has a frost warning.....sigh.....time to go sweetheart......

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Thursday, September 26 2013 @ 09:12 PM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Hi Michelle and Janet......

Great information both of you, thank you. I bet Fish Creek dad is getting some energy prior to leaving. Frost warning, oh my! Yes, it is time to leave.
Janet, I hope they can fix the post. And thank you for the picture.

sweet dreams all,
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Friday, September 27 2013 @ 03:43 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

wave

Maybe Fish Creek Dad heard about the cold and snow in Montana, Michelle, and decided to stay here a little longer. Sounds like good fishing for awhile so he is smart to build up his strength before he leaves. I'm sure he will soon say good-bye and we wish him well on his flight wherever it may take him.

Thanks again everyone for a wonderful if disrupted season here, I echo Janet's words that it was fitting that it was you that Dad should bid farewell, Michelle, but I think Janet, you are also very deserving. Wub Your photos and videos are much appreciated as well as Christine's and Ernie's too.

Since Memorial Drive was heavily impacted by the flood I found it hard to visit our beauties. (I also enjoyed heading north taking my grands to the lake this summer, nowhere near the nest).

It is 100 days since the flood struck here and the news is full of it today, - (there`s an opening for you, Grin ). Seriously though, the recovery has gone well, but there is still much that needs doing.

The zoo visit with my grands was good due to the adorable penguins, Carolyn, but we went through the N. American area where the high line of the flood was marked, well over the lower path, - and it really brought home just how high the river rose. The lovely Sandhill Cranes are in an area that was underwater, it is remarkable that more animals and birds were not lost at the time. Kudos to the brave and caring keepers!
Bravo

Looking forward to next year, thank you, Enmax , for providing this site and the other homes for Calgary Ospreys, and to everyone who posted here this year.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:02 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate