The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2013
 |  Printable Version
By: amd (offline) on Wednesday, September 18 2013 @ 09:36 AM EDT  
amd

I've been checking the nest every day lately.....yesterday (6:15pm) I saw Dad enjoying his fish on the pointy pole beside the nest. So quiet -- he has been on his own now since Sept.11th, a week already, but he looks good...topping up reserves......I am sooooo going to go through Osprey withdrawal, once he decides to go!!!! It's been raining since last night....definite weather change....leaves are falling now...sigh...

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Janet Preston (offline) on Wednesday, September 18 2013 @ 10:32 PM EDT  
Janet Preston

Totally understand how you feel Michelle. I drove by the nest close to my home today and Dad was on the lower branches in the trees. Have not made it over to the Zoo in ages. Last week I was near Waterton again and 2 Juvies were on the nest at Belly River on Highway 5. Then at Lundbreck Falls, Mom and 2 Juvies were still there. Nests in Calgary at Fish creek and Glenmore were empty today. O well, it will be Spring again before we know it. Thank you so much for the update Michelle. Miserable day today, cold and very wet, but expected to return to warm temperatures again tomorrow.

"Laughter is Gods' sunshine"
Forum

Calgary

Profile     PM

By: amd (offline) on Thursday, September 19 2013 @ 08:04 PM EDT  
amd

5:45pm -- Wow! I really didn't expect to see Dad here at the zoo nest, after yesterday's chilly and very wet weather, but I am standing here watching him through my binoculars, relaxing atop the metal power tower ....such a sweetheart! Don't see anything else but a few gulls, robins, oh ...a woodpecker....oh but I am missing Supermom & our 3 chicks. I pray they are travelling safely ...perhaps nearing their wintering spots.....

Hello Janet, thanks for your updates too! I stopped later this evening on my way home, around 7pm by the Fish Creek nest - 2 osprey still there -- adult and 1 chick, both eating fish dinners -- saw them first thing this morning too. Looking very well fed, and very ready to soar to warmer climates!
Also quickly stopped at the 22x nest, but didn't see any osprey there....was really hoping I would see the one you saw yesterday --- I am glad Janet that you saw him. There are a lot of ducks on that pond there these days.....

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: lilywriter (offline) on Saturday, September 21 2013 @ 06:05 PM EDT  
lilywriter

Saturday 3:00 pm

I went down to the Zoo nest today. I did not really expect to see anyone but thought maybe I would catch a glimpse of dad. I did not even bring my camera. I did not see dad but I did see what I think is good news.

At the base of the nest was some heavy equipment -- a digger, plow and truck. The plow was working. It means that crews are getting to the area and, hopefully, the nest camera will be fixed and ready to go for next year. The crew may have been waiting until the Opsrey were gone.

The only nest I have seen Osprey at in Calgary is the Fish Creek nest. I saw them Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. On Friday, one was on a light on Canyon Meadows, one of a light on MacLeod trail -- it was eating a fish and I could see the fish hanging over the edge. The other one was on the nest. I have also been seeing an osprey down at the Bow River.

Soon all will be gone but it is nice to see for now.

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Saturday, September 21 2013 @ 06:22 PM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Thank you Michelle, Janet, Christine, Jean, Ernie, BET, jkr for just everything! You have made my year in one respect with the wonderful friends made here - whoops I missed JD!
Thank you a million times and I wish these gorgeous birds tons of fish, safe migration and love to you,
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: amd (offline) on Saturday, September 21 2013 @ 07:37 PM EDT  
amd

Good day Christine & Carolyn -- welcome back home from your trip!
Christine --- I must have just missed you down there today -- was there at 2:30/45PM -- I didn't see Dad either....
Yesterday at around 6-6:30pm, I did not see him at his usual perches due to the very noisy machinery/back-hoes and dump truck doing their things close to the nest area. Yes I am happy that now it seems that work and repairs will get done...but boy, yesterday I was fairly upset that it had displaced Dad from his comfort zones/regular spots...maybe this will be the extra "push" for him to decide to head south? Anyway I was feeling quite sad that I couldn't find him and just as I was walking to put some garbage in the bin there by the path, I suddenly heard quiet osprey chirps....he was right above me in the trees and had been watching the workers from where we usually sit and watch him!!!! He is so beautiful up close, and through my joyful tears (can't seem to turn them off these days...), I fumbled to set up my camera through my phone, but of course he got spooked and flew eastwards down the river. 10 minutes later, he flew west and low, up the river to his spot down by the Zoo bridge, away from the noise. I wonder if that might have been the last time I will see him....
I love to see the Fish Creek nest on my way home -- half hour ago, there were 2 on the perch attached to the platform & nest...Christine is so right to say that soon all will be gone, but it is nice to see for now.

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Saturday, September 21 2013 @ 09:06 PM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Hi Michelle!

If the last time you see Dad is right above your head chirping at you, then you are one blessed lady. He was talking to you - and by this time probably knows you.
What a magic moment (I should know I just left Disney World). Thanks for the welcome back.
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: BET (offline) on Sunday, September 22 2013 @ 12:29 PM EDT  
BET

Hi All!

We had the first taste of winter here in Central California Sierra Nevada Mts. Thunder lightning, pouring rain, the whole works yesterday afternoon. Then turned cold. I had to light the pilot and turn on the heat!

It is time - close to past time - for the O's to all head South to the warmer climates.

Michelle, what an absolute wonderful mental image of Dad O you now have to carry you through the winter. It would have been nice if you had been able to capture a sharable image, but that's the norm for those great spontaneous sights. Where is my camera at the ready? Home, or in my purse! Sad Just happy that you have the image in your memory - with sound no less.

You all have a good day!

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:10 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate