Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2013
 |  Printable Version
By: amd (offline) on Friday, September 13 2013 @ 12:07 AM EDT  
amd

Arrived at the nest at 5:50pm - empty nest, empty chicks favorite perching branches/trees -- I did spot Dad again on the same branch as yesterday, a bit west, down the river by the Zoo bridge, and again -- eating a fish!! Which I love, as he is looking so streamlined/slim.....needs to make sure his reserves are topped up for his big journey. He is a top-notch fisherman, and Dad for that matter....
At 6:05, he circled over the river a couple times, then perched facing the nest on his pointy-top pole. Definitely Dad, very white chest and smaller/compact body. Wub
For a half hr., he continued to preen, and look around....preen and look around.....like he was scanning for his beautiful family....I think our hunches were correct regarding Supermom's & chicks innate skills of just knowing when its time to go....it really is looking that way....

At 6:35, a silver pick-up truck with sign on door "Chief Construction" appears on the island, and slowly drives/stops right below the pole Dad is on. He does not like this one bit...outstretched wings...no warning calls though.....which I thought was strange, but maybe he knows he doesn't have to pull out all the stops, as he doesn't have to protect the nest now......he then flies up to the much taller, metal power tower. You could see him tilting his head, watching what the 2 workers were up to....which I am not sure of....they carried a very heavy-looking sign through shallow water to about the middle of the sand/rock bar....it's facing opposite of where we stand and it says WARNING CONSTRUCTION AHEAD, complete with flashing orange light (??!)...
By the time I had to leave, around 7pm, Dad was still in the same spot, quietly watching....the men were still fooling around with the sign...I hope they don't bother Dad too much...he needs his good night's sleep. The general feeling today at the nest was so lonely, yet I was so happy to still see Dad....
Will check again tomorrow.....trying to do this at different times of the day as well....just to make sure...

Good night

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Friday, September 13 2013 @ 09:07 AM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Hi Friends.....

Michelle, thank you. It sure seems like you all are correct. Dad is filling up reserves. I will be gone and check back here when I return.
Thank you Everyone for such an amazing season here.........
(I keep repeating myself but it bears repeating).......
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: BET (offline) on Friday, September 13 2013 @ 12:26 PM EDT  
BET

Thank you Michelle - We (and I am positive I can speak for all of the Calgary O addicts in this matter) really appreciate the information you post and the time you take to gather it. I have wondered if the river bed has changed and the fish are hanging out in new locations. The O's use to fish just off the left end of the sand bar - camera's view from both sides of the river.

Interesting that they can now get a truck down on the land area. Your hot weather must have finally turned the mud to hard clay. Now they can get the power to the rest of the zoo and the camera. I hope they don't forget the camera in their repair list. Better to fix it now than in the freezing weather in March.

You mention the sandbar. Is it the one we see from the camera? or another? I am not sure just where you view the nest in relation to the Camera's view. The camera's view has always screwed up my sense of direction as I am hard wired to North being the top of the page. Roll eyes and in the cameras stream it is not. Maybe I should figure out how to put a compass rose on the streaming video next year.

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: amd (offline) on Friday, September 13 2013 @ 12:41 PM EDT  
amd

Good Morning BET & Carolyn --
The sandbar that you used to see from the cam, is no longer there since the flood -- a huge amount of river rocks (and I assume that the old sandbar that you used to see) have been swept east into a much larger sandbar, and its directly after the end of that little island that the nest platform sits on....lets see...if you picture the view that you had from the camera when it was working, the new sandbar would be on your left, which is east. Our viewing area is directly on the other side of the river from the nest, (so camera view, its is on the opposite side of the river on the south riverbank....so we are looking northwards at the nest) Hope that puts things a bit into perspective. (so yes the camera faces south......) Smile
Was happy to see that trucks could get out there now....I really hope the camera will be OK for next year, I still don't think they will get to it for awhile as there still is so much damage that they are dealing with around there....the zoo website has posted that the island part should be open to the public by end of November now, instead of Dec. so that is positive....

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Friday, September 13 2013 @ 08:51 PM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Thank you Michelle......That is great information. When one of you wonderful folks posted some pictures of where you were viewing from it sure made things clearer.
It's just miraculous that from so far away the nest could be viewed through the lense or binoculars.

BET, a compass might hel, at least to me. Smile
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: Jean (offline) on Saturday, September 14 2013 @ 01:32 AM EDT  
Jean

Hello all Calgary osprey fans! I have been checking on and off but not posting really this season. Last season I watched Supermom while she sat on the nest for the last time before leaving..................I just knew from watching her that she was leaving.................she was saying goodbye to her nest and the home of her chicks that she worked so hard for! I will never forget her because of what she overcame last season! She is truly one remarkable lady. From your posts I am reading that you all think that she and this year's chicks have gone................well, I wish them well.................fly safely Mom.......................learn many things young chicks....................safe journey new Dad, when you decide to leave. I look forward to things getting back to normal here next season............at least I hope they will be. Thanks to all the dedicated posters here and the people who ventured down to the nest in person. See you next season! Bravo Thank You

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time;............they have the heart..........Elizabeth Andrew

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: ErnieL (offline) on Sunday, September 15 2013 @ 12:00 PM EDT  
ErnieL

***I too look forward to next season. I couldn't consider myself a regular poster or viewer, more intermitten for me. I would like to thank those who posted to keep us in the loop, those who helped me so much in my efforts to join this site so I could post & those who offered to help me with my computer problems. My computer is a continuous source of problems, mostly caused by the person sitting in this chair. Me!!

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: amd (offline) on Monday, September 16 2013 @ 09:54 PM EDT  
amd

Hello Ernie, it's good to hear from you...sounds like you've had a busy summer...
Just letting everyone know that Dad is still hanging around the Zoo nest Wub -- saw him on the weekend, as well as today during my lunchbreak -- from 1:10 til 1:45pm, I had the pleasure of watching him calmly perched on top of the metal tower -- preening & enjoying the sun. I wonder if he is waiting to see if any chicks or SuperMom come back....its been many days now since they've left......I hope they are learning lots and safely migrating.... I miss them so much alreadly...

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:21 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate