The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2013
 |  Printable Version
By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Sunday, September 08 2013 @ 09:43 PM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Janet, Thank You with all my heart! That is a fantastic report.
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: amd (offline) on Sunday, September 08 2013 @ 11:52 PM EDT  
amd

Huge thanks to you Janet for sharing these pics and videos from today....it really was a beautiful day! Wonderful to see these feedings/fish deliveries up close. I hadn't seen Supermom in a few visits....only Dad and chicks; we've all been wondering if perhaps she had already left...I can't believe we are into the second week of September now....this family is so primed and ready for that next step/humungous adventure that they are about to undertake! Wub

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Tuesday, September 10 2013 @ 09:43 AM EDT  
jkr

Michelle and Janet. Thank you both so much for your weekend pictures, videos and reports.

I am surprised that Mom is still in the area. After becoming the breadwinner last year maybe she decided that she isn't taking any chances on leaving her chicks behind this year either.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Wednesday, September 11 2013 @ 12:39 PM EDT  
BET

Thank you Michelle and Janet for your great efforts in keeping us posted on the affairs of our Calgary Zoo O's.

I noted earlier that SuperMom was bringing in fish to her chicks, unlike at other nests and earlier years here. The norm seems to be Dad does all the fishing and Mom feeds. When the juvies self feeding becomes proficient, Mom no longer has a job and departs for winter grounds. Last year, SuperMom provided the fish until the juvies were ready to depart for the winter. I have been wondering if she might continue the behavior she learned last year and perhaps she has. She has been doing some fishing and bringing it back to the family. It is an unusual behavior for Osprey females. But then, this is SuperMom.

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: amd (offline) on Wednesday, September 11 2013 @ 11:33 PM EDT  
amd

Hello all....another beautiful day to visit our nest --- watched from 1-2pm -- for the full hour, I didn't see any osprey on the nest, or the usual perches in the vicinity....I did finally spot Dad on a dead branch, happily eating a fish --- this tree is west towards the zoo bridge -- (the one that cars drive over), and only recently have I seen Dad perch there after flying away from the nest....it's quite a ways west of the nest area. Didn't move from there at all.....I thought about the chicks (and Mom) all afternoon, and decided to go again after work, but as I started driving down there, Blackfoot Tr. was blocked off by police and emergency vehicles, due to another train derailment!! So far, they stated that the six cars on their sides have not leaked, but they weren't taking any chances -- again the police evacuated some homes in the Inglewood area, right about where our look-out is.....sheesh...hopefully everything is OK...and no-one hurt....will know more later, and I will try again tomorrow if all is safe again... fingers crossed

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: amd (offline) on Thursday, September 12 2013 @ 10:13 AM EDT  
amd

Good morning osprey-loving friends!
Great news on the derailment, no leaking of whatever highly flammable liquid/diluting agent from the 8 cars that derailed, crews are still draining the toppled cars and cranes are ready to upright them, etc. so maybe later today, I should be able to check the nest again, to see who's around....
Janet reminded me last night that it was on Sept 11 last year, when SuperMom stayed on the nest for 2 hours before leaving for her migration!! (Just went over the archived pages at that time last year, so heartwarming) What an amazing Mom she is Red Heart

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Thursday, September 12 2013 @ 10:32 AM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Thank you Michelle and Janet.....A huge hi to all of our friends here (the Calgary osprey family)..

Just stay safe if you are going in that direction. We all know they won't be there much longer. That being said we all know this year was an incredible success with amazing surprises such as our ground reporters becoming so vital. I hope the Zoo is making a slow recovery too.

Supermom sure does not seem to want to leave - but then again, maybe she did yesterday as these birds are so attuned to the time of year. At any rate, when she does, or if she did, godspeed to her.
Dad will make sure the chicks are fine before leaving. It's been wonderful and I am so thankful for all the good that happened.

I am glad the derailment was not worse. Hugs to you friends,
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: jkr (offline) on Thursday, September 12 2013 @ 11:22 AM EDT  
jkr

Michelle thank you for your report. It does sound as if the O's have migrated right on schedule.

At this time I'd like to give a special thanks to our Calgary ground crew. Without you we would never have known what was happening with the osprey family after the flood.
Thank YouThank YouThank You Christine, Janet, Michelle, Eddie and Bluebird1 for being our eyes on the nest this season. You all went above and beyond what we could have possibly wished for. hug

Also, keeping fingers crossed that the Zoo recovers so that we have an operational camera again next year.

Fly high Calgary O's and stay safe on your migration.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:30 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate